• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I will be using a Lee Loadmaster Progressive Press. I am seeing .224? I have been told that these are the rounds I need to get. I have been looking at the Lee product dies and plates that I will need on Midway. I am wanting to build up a personal surplus of rounds and am wondering if those rounds would be reliable in a "bad situation" as opposed to factory produced ammunition. That being asked I am also looking at powder and primers. Will I need "small rifle primers"?

1.) What powder should I look at.
    2.) What primers should I look at.
    3.) What brass should I look at.
    4.) What bullets should I look at.

I have used 5.56 in deployment and training. I am sure some of it was reloaded (Police Your Brass as those of us have heard). I am firing it from my Colt 1 in 7 twist and I want to use a 55 to 60 grain projectile. I will not be firing at targets more than 300 yards.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    1. you may want to try a bit heavier bullet in the 1 in 7 bbl
    2. small rifle primers--yes
    3. any 5.56 or .223 brass will work, but the milspec will need the primer pocket swaged to cut to remove the crimp.
    4. i use h335 or 748 powder
    5. you'll likely need to trim the brass over all length
    6. your ammo should be as reliable as any if properly assembled.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like Varget 24.5 grains (that is in a 55 gr)
    My buddy uses Accurate 2230 25 gr. (ball powder runs great in powder
    thrower)
    Pretty much any Small rifle you can find right now.
    CCI 41 are good but cost more.
    Wolf Magnum Small Rifle work great
    I use Winchester Small Rifle Mostly
    I like the Lake City Military brass for plinking. I am getting 8-10 loads
    out of it using RCBS small base dies.
    You do have to remove the military crimp but I think it is worth it.
    Any will really work but try to find once fired.
    Hornaday 55 gr FMJBT seems to be the cheapest on the market
    You can find them for $429 Shipped on widners.com for 6000.
    I don't know if you will be happy with the 1:7 twist with a 55 grain

Just my $.02

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    I will be using a Lee Loadmaster Progressive Press. I am seeing .224? I have been told that these are the rounds I need to get. I have been looking at the Lee product dies and plates that I will need on Midway. I am wanting to build up a personal surplus of rounds and am wondering if those rounds would be reliable in a "bad situation" as opposed to factory produced ammunition. That being asked I am also looking at powder and primers. Will I need "small rifle primers"?

I have used 5.56 in deployment and training. I am sure some of it was reloaded (Police Your Brass as those of us have heard). I am firing it from my Colt 1 in 7 twist and I want to use a 55 to 60 grain projectile. I will not be firing at targets more than 300 yards.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I've loaded 1000s of these babies and I've been doing it since 1978 for a variety of rifles: Mini 14s, Colt ARs, bolt guns, break actions, etc. (I'd really like to find a levergun in 223!)

Powders: IMR3031, H4895 or IMR4895 (Slightly faster than Hogdon's), BLC-2
    Primers: Doesn't really matter. I prefer CCI Magnum
    Brass: If you use the right load (slightly under pressure in tighter casings) it doesn't matter.
    Bullets: I prefer Sierra 55gr Semi Point. Good expansion, decent ballistics, however, if you want better expansion, use the 50gr Blitz.

300 yards in an autoloader? I hope you're not trying to hit anything smaller than a dinner plate. I'm used to varmint hunting so, 300 yards is half in half luck shot. If that Cold groups less than 6 inches at that distance, I'd be VERY surprised. I'm a varmint hunter (Coyotes, Groundhogs, Coydogs) so 300 yards is a high end limit. Between trajectory, wind influences and human error you could hit man sized targets at 300. I've head people say they can kill gophers at 500 yards with a .223 and a bushmaster but I know its all blow. Don't believe the hype: 200yds is a reliable limit, 300yds is a stretch. Anything after that is mostly luck and will lead to frustration and disappointment.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    .224 is the true size of a .223 bullet thats why you are seeing that..... H4895 is a good powder, good luck finding it... yes you must use small rifle primers.... and a 1-7 twist i would NOT use anything lighter than 55 grain, and would recomend staying 62 grain and up to get accuracy worth a damn which could be needed if SHTF.

Top Bottom