• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd like to see the rule of no obvious numerals for letters substitutions in order to get around character sequences that would otherwise be dictionary words, or obvious abbreviations of dictionary words, which are already taken or otherwise unissuable. That said, I see no problem with a cop having OINK on a FOP plate. Honestly, though, I might if it was a non-LEO.

license_plate.png

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    They ought to allow anything that fits. There's no compelling reason to censor license plates. But we live in a state in which retailers feel compelled to cover the front of Cosmopolitan, of all things, presumably to preserve "innocent eyes" from learning that this month there's yet another Top Ten Ways to Drive Your Man Wild in Bed! so it only follows that we would impose ridiculous limitations on license plates. Meanwhile graphic sex scenes are available in your local library, but most likely only due to 1st Amendment protections.

It does seem odd that we don't use a typeface that clearly differentiates between O and 0. I'd mandate a 0 with a slash to differentiate it if I were to redesign Indiana's plates.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Having been on the down side of this situation I will tell you that if ANY BODY contacts BMV and says they are offended they will pull your plate. We had "WNTR SUX" on our convertible for 2 1/2 years when we received a letter stating it would not be renewed. When I called about it they said that someone had complained that it was "offensive". BMV said that is all it takes, 1 complaint and they pull the plate. When I asked if we could use WE H8 SNO they said they wouldn't allow "H8" on a plate because it had negative connotations. I then asked them if I could put "BMV SUX", that's when they said the conversation was over.

So you have a bunch of pissy people standing herd over us making up the rules as they go along and we are supposed to bow down and kiss their feet when they "Let" us live a free life.

Wait, is this a rant about Washington:laugh::dunno:?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Although personal plates are cool and I enjoy reading what other people come up with It doesn't effect me as I pay enough to the BMV without the added cost for the PP. I do agree with Femurphy though that it is just another committee payed for by us to tell us what we can and can't do.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Apply the military solution. If one can't have it, nobody can have it.

not a bad idea, if people are gonna get up in arms about it, just eliminate the PP program all together. I can't see a 1st amendment suit seeing the light of day simply because the BMV didn't offer personalized plates

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    not a bad idea, if people are gonna get up in arms about it, just eliminate the PP program all together. I can't see a 1st amendment suit seeing the light of day simply because the BMV didn't offer personalized plates

This. Just take the plate you're issued and be done with it.

This is what happens with the "run the government like a business" approach. Its not a business. Its not the purpose of a license plate to be some cutesy saying. That's what bumper stickers and those Disney family things are for.

Indiana has way too many types of plates, not even counting personalized plates. Plates should come in the basic flavors of "Personal car/truck, Commercial car/truck, Municipal/Police, Motorcycle (because they need to be smaller), Trailer, and handicapped versions as needed" and that would cover it. Actually, with the mirror hanger thing, you don't even need the handicapped car plates, although you'd probably still need it for motorcycles.

No more worries about who's organization counts as special enough/not special enough for an organization plate, etc. No worries about who's little cutesy saying is to sexy, racist, violent, etc.

Go back to license plates as a means to identify the vehicle and registered owner. The end.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    This. Just take the plate you're issued and be done with it.

This is what happens with the "run the government like a business" approach. Its not a business. Its not the purpose of a license plate to be some cutesy saying. That's what bumper stickers and those Disney family things are for.

Indiana has way too many types of plates, not even counting personalized plates. Plates should come in the basic flavors of "Personal car/truck, Commercial car/truck, Municipal/Police, Motorcycle (because they need to be smaller), Trailer, and handicapped versions as needed" and that would cover it. Actually, with the mirror hanger thing, you don't even need the handicapped car plates, although you'd probably still need it for motorcycles.

No more worries about who's organization counts as special enough/not special enough for an organization plate, etc. No worries about who's little cutesy saying is to sexy, racist, violent, etc.

Go back to license plates as a means to identify the vehicle and registered owner. The end.

AWWW. you'renofun.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    They ought to allow anything that fits. There's no compelling reason to censor license plates. But we live in a state in which retailers feel compelled to cover the front of Cosmopolitan, of all things, presumably to preserve "innocent eyes" from learning that this month there's yet another Top Ten Ways to Drive Your Man Wild in Bed! so it only follows that we would impose ridiculous limitations on license plates. Meanwhile graphic sex scenes are available in your local library, but most likely only due to 1st Amendment protections.

It does seem odd that we don't use a typeface that clearly differentiates between O and 0. I'd mandate a 0 with a slash to differentiate it if I were to redesign Indiana's plates.

We also live in a state that is most likely going to vote for putting an amendment to the state constitution to ban gay marriage on the ballot. So much for liberty.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Apply the military solution. If one can't have it, nobody can have it.

That's a terrible solution. There is no reason whatsoever that anyone who wants one can't have it other than a bunch of busybodies clutching their pearls over imagined slights. If something offends you then either get over it or don't look at it. This sort of complaint-driven restrictive behavior is the same thing that has led to the FCC levying massive fines for network television airing people using the same language that is constitutionally protected for you or me. The solution is not to cater to a bunch of whiny children who want to impose their moralistic idiosyncracies on the rest of us but to tell them to shut up and deal with it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That's a terrible solution. There is no reason whatsoever that anyone who wants one can't have it other than a bunch of busybodies clutching their pearls over imagined slights. If something offends you then either get over it or don't look at it. This sort of complaint-driven restrictive behavior is the same thing that has led to the FCC levying massive fines for network television airing people using the same language that is constitutionally protected for you or me. The solution is not to cater to a bunch of whiny children who want to impose their moralistic idiosyncracies on the rest of us but to tell them to shut up and deal with it.

Oh, I agree. But you'll never keep both sides of the spectrum from getting their panties in a wad.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Actually, it's just the one.

No....there are some stunning similarities all over the country.

Anyhoo, as to the license plates....honestly I have a hard time getting worked up about this. They need to have a uniform standard, but a lawsuit? I've never gotten a vanity plate. Do you have to explain the intended meaning of the plate on the form, or just put what you want?

I have my 4-H Foundation plate with the number the state gave me and that's just fine.

Top Bottom