• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I had all the stuff to refinish stocks laying around because of another project, so I decided to do my Mosin.
    I only used wine colored RIT dye instead of any actual stain. On my last project, the dye turned out kind of cherry colored. This one is a little mpre red than I was expecting, but I haven't put the tung oil on it yet. I'll do an update when its finished.
    image-1_zps8261c85d.jpg

skunkworks1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    with the flat tung oil finish this will look great. are refinishing the metal? grey park should really set it off, imho.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    The dye seems to have a lot of purple in it. I think it may have something to do with the type of wood it's made of. Anyone know what these are made of?

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    Mosins and the laminated Russian AKs are made out of Baltic Birch. Russia has huge birch forests and birch is used for many things, they even make a birch "juice" from the sap.

The original finish on both rifles is actually the same. The Russians used Ruby shellac that was applied using cheesecloth wrapped around balls of wool. Cotton balls pack down to much but wool holds it's shape. Then the shellac was wiped on, they would let the stock set about 10 minutes and wipe on more until they had about 3 coats.

I researched this for a long time and I finally found a scanned copy of an original Russian Mosin Nagant service manual from the 1940s. My wife is Russian, she was able to translate the finishing part for me.

Top Bottom