• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    I am still new to Red Dots. I put on a Holosun 407c-gr on a Walther PDP. So my question is it normal for them to be a lint and hair magnets? Even after I clean it, a hour later there is stuff on the optic. Sometimes its hard to see. I was wondering if this is just normal. Is where a way to prevent this? I am carrying in a Bare Arms OWB holster.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have similar issues with my 507. I am getting all kinds of stuff in there. I blow it out with canned air.

Was doing a lot of drywall sanding and boy did it look odd in there after that. I blew and then wiped it all down after to get it to where it wasn't a distraction.

All the fuzz that is created when you walk around rubbing the holster against your clothes is adding to it most, in my opinion. I had collections on the gun before I switched to an optic.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mine don't seem to attract stuff but I suppose if they are kept under certain types of clothing they could pick up lint and such.

Ever since I mounted my SRO on my M&P 2.0 Compact I have noticed that it gets a lot of powder residue on the front of the lens. My RMR did not do this. I suspect it is because the SRO stick farther forward.

On another note, I have discovered that it really doesn't seem to matter. I can shoot it dirty.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Gobs of dust/lint/fuzz/hair on mine. Kind of the nature of sticking something in your pants. I make my own holsters and made a little hood to cover it. It's held in place over the optic by the shroud on the holster and falls free on the draw.

One of the exercises to train with a dot is to cover the front of the glass so your dominant eye can't actually see the target. As long as the back of the glass is clean enough to catch the dot you should be good to go.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Mine don't seem to attract stuff but I suppose if they are kept under certain types of clothing they could pick up lint and such.

Ever since I mounted my SRO on my M&P 2.0 Compact I have noticed that it gets a lot of powder residue on the front of the lens. My RMR did not do this. I suspect it is because the SRO stick farther forward.

On another note, I have discovered that it really doesn't seem to matter. I can shoot it dirty.

The front of the lens being obscured or dirty doesn't matter.

I missed that was stated directly above this post.

bwillits

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    That is a downside of RDS. When I carry appendix it is protected from the elements but I find it collects more hair, lint, etc. Carrying OWB seems to keep it a tad cleaner from that perspective but you have to be careful about the elements, especially with an open emitter like the 407C. I was a huge RMR fan but I’ve had too many issues with water getting on the optic and causing a huge bloom and distortion. For this reason I’m switching everything to ACRO P2s and Steiner MPSs.

Also, I highly recommend not using the auto adjust brightness. It sounds great but if I remember correctly that model has a top sensor like the RMR. First time I did a night shoot I activated my WML (now I had this bright illuminated target) and I couldn’t see my dot. The dot was looking up and determined it to be dark so the brightness was down but in front of me was super bright causing a complete wash out. Just something to think about.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Also, I highly recommend not using the auto adjust brightness. It sounds great but if I remember correctly that model has a top sensor like the RMR. First time I did a night shoot I activated my WML (now I had this bright illuminated target) and I couldn’t see my dot. The dot was looking up and determined it to be dark so the brightness was down but in front of me was super bright causing a complete wash out. Just something to think about.
    I keep mine at almost full brightness because of the problems with being in one light level and looking into another. Kept washing it out. It eats the batty up pretty fast, but better than losing the dot altogether.

bwillits

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    I keep mine at almost full brightness because of the problems with being in one light level and looking into another. Kept washing it out. It eats the batty up pretty fast, but better than losing the dot altogether.
    That’s the way to do it. I’m normally good about changing batteries but I got behind and just picked up my EDC about two months ago to find it dead. Just changed the batteries today (can’t believe how hard it is to find a T8 torx bit, haha). Thankfully I had some other options to carry in the meantime.

$pending2Much$

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Greenwood
    I am still new to Red Dots. I put on a Holosun 407c-gr on a Walther PDP. So my question is it normal for them to be a lint and hair magnets? Even after I clean it, a hour later there is stuff on the optic. Sometimes its hard to see. I was wondering if this is just normal. Is where a way to prevent this? I am carrying in a Bare Arms OWB holster.
    No getting around it. Just clean in before you go out lol

Top Bottom