Recommendations for good daily carry pocket knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have a C.R.K.T. M16-13T. It is used daily for different chores and it has held edge nicely thus far. It also locks solidly. I have also had Gerbers which seemed to be soft, but very ergonomic. I used a Kershaw Blackout for about a year, but I did not find it as solid as the C.R.K.T. I mentioned above, so I went back to the C.R.K.T. I paid $60, I think, eight years ago and it has yet to let me down.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    I bought a Case Mini-Trapper about 24 years ago and the SS blades are still about 85% full. I carried that knife every day. I got to thinking about finding a replacement for it, so the search was on. After buying over a 100 Case knives, I ended up with a medium Case Stockman. I retired the Mini-Trapper and now carry the Stockman every day. Later, Bob
    PS: I figure if I carry a Sig P226 in .40 Cal, I can get away with a small folder. :)

peal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like you got a nice knife. I carry a Kershaw Leek. It's very thin and unnoticeable in your pocket and the assisted-open is great.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I bought a Case Mini-Trapper about 24 years ago and the SS blades are still about 85% full. I carried that knife every day. I got to thinking about finding a replacement for it, so the search was on. After buying over a 100 Case knives, I ended up with a medium Case Stockman. I retired the Mini-Trapper and now carry the Stockman every day. Later, Bob
    PS: I figure if I carry a Sig P226 in .40 Cal, I can get away with a small folder. :)

Not that you made a bad choice, but what made you decide to switch after 24 years with the same knife? I have carried a knife that I didn't like, but it never lasted very long. If you can go 24 years with it, it must be good. What feature, etc did the new knife have that the old one didn't?

I also understand that sometimes you just need a change of pace. Its like dating a brunette because you've already dated a blond. :):

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    This may sound weird but, I only use the main blade for skinning game. Nothing else. The secondary and other blades get the brunt of all the other cutting jobs. The reason I wanted something different is on the Trappers and Mini-Trappers, the secondary blades are most often 'Spey' blades. Sometimes the spey blade is not very well suited for some of the cutting jobs. With the three bladed Stockman I carry now, I really like the small 'Pen' blade. Now, for the kicker, my all time favorite style of knife is the Copperhead of which I have a bunch of them but I only collect them. Except one for one day since '83, I have had a Case brand knife in my pocket. That one day I had a Boker in my pocket and it just did'nt feel right. Later, Bob

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good question and answer!

I love the stockman pattern. I have several Schrade/Old Timer model 8OT stockman knives. They were once the best value on the cutlery market bar none. Too bad Schrade went out of business. The stuff with their name now is okay at the price point, but not in the same league.

I have a large Case stockman with CV carbon steel blades in the console of my truck as well. I forget which kind of bone it has (it's jigged to look like stag or antler), but it has the added charm of a Kool-Aid stain from when it sat overnight in a little spill.

Case is the only go-to American slip-joint pocket knife maker left in the business!

Top Bottom