• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Yeah, I'll probably just order a 10/22 then. Been wanting one for tinkering with.

Hell, shotguns are cheap too. May just get a Ruger 10/22 and a shotgun at the same time if I can do so for less than $500 (should be doable). Need to see what the local shop has.

I see two contradictory impulses here:

1. Tinkering with the Ruger 10/22. This will COST you money. By the time I was halfway done, I think I've put in more than $600 in parts & tools.

2. Getting cheap, affordable guns. You cannot do both this and the above.

If I could start all over, I'd get the Marlin, which is more accurate than the stock 10/22, rather than improving the 10/22. The savings will pay for some Appleseed shoots. Use the Marlin to train & get good. Then if I want a really nice .22LR rifle, I'd save up and buy one of those guns that cost in the four-digit.

Then I'd get a used, simple Mossberg 500 (bead sight, no extension tube, nothing tacticool). Those things will take a beating, and most people don't shoot their guns a whole lot. So you can find a cheap one in a pretty good condition. It just costs too much to get a properly fitted defensive shotgun, and unless that's your primary defense tool, you won't have much use for it at the range. When other people are happily shooting trap or skeet, your 18" barrel and ghost ring sights will get in the way.

But, hey, it's your money! Does the Dude abide?

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I see two contradictory impulses here:

1. Tinkering with the Ruger 10/22. This will COST you money. By the time I was halfway done, I think I've put in more than $600 in parts & tools.

2. Getting cheap, affordable guns. You cannot do both this and the above.

If I could start all over, I'd get the Marlin, which is more accurate than the stock 10/22, rather than improving the 10/22. The savings will pay for some Appleseed shoots. Use the Marlin to train & get good. Then if I want a really nice .22LR rifle, I'd save up and buy one of those guns that cost in the four-digit.

Then I'd get a used, simple Mossberg 500 (bead sight, no extension tube, nothing tacticool). Those things will take a beating, and most people don't shoot their guns a whole lot. So you can find a cheap one in a pretty good condition. It just costs too much to get a properly fitted defensive shotgun, and unless that's your primary defense tool, you won't have much use for it at the range. When other people are happily shooting trap or skeet, your 18" barrel and ghost ring sights will get in the way.

But, hey, it's your money! Does the Dude abide?

Well, 10/22s stock are relatively cheap. I didn't mean I'd buy the rifle and then also immediately order part kits and start taking it apart. If I was goign to do that, I'd just buy one that came with those parts from the get-go.

Shotgun would be nice for HD. Got a .45 for that now, but sadly live in a duplex (currently) and in a neighborhood. Pretty sure all directions around me is a house, so a shotgun would be better in that respect than potentially sending a loose round through the neighbors house in the event I hear my door get kicked in at 4AM. Getting a house soon though, but still near others. But luckily not sharing any walls with them!

Ruger 10/22 Semi Auto Rifle Birch Stock - Impact Guns $220 for a Ruger 10/22 with nothing fancy. Just the rifle.

Not deadset on this shotgun, but it's a cheap (not the cheapest) 12GA out there at $210: Interstate Arms 981R Pump 12 Gauge 18.5" Black Synthetic - Impact Guns

Shotgun wouldn't be used much. I've shot clays before a few years ago (well, once) and it was fun, but not something I'd see myself doing often.

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    I would look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 22. That will be my next gun. It looks like a lot of fun to shoot.

The S & W 15 - 22 was my last purchase and it has been a real joy to shoot. I did plenty of research, here, elsewhere on the web and in various gun shops. I have yet to hear a negative comment about them. There appear to be plenty of used ones popping up for sale, which I believe are by folks moving up to high powered. This rifle will also give you a good feel for the AR platform.

cl4p-tp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Kokomo
    How about a cz 452. They're full size rifles with either 24 or 28 inch barrels with amazing sights. Mine has been extremely accurate with every type of ammo I have put through it. Mine is my favorite rifle, for what that's worth.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    How about a cz 452. They're full size rifles with either 24 or 28 inch barrels with amazing sights. Mine has been extremely accurate with every type of ammo I have put through it. Mine is my favorite rifle, for what that's worth.

Good call with the CZ-452! I really like those, though havent picked one up yet. I'd love to have one in .17.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I vote that you get both a Ruger 10/22 and an AR-15.

Probably what I will do. I also want a reloading kit so I guess I need to prioritize and get my funds sorted, haha.

Probably get a Ruger 10/22. I'll call up the LGS sometime next week and inquire, see what they've got. Though I think I'd like to build an AR-15. Would be a good opportunity to learn something new, and make me appreciate the rifle more. ;)

jeand32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Bedford
    .22 LR is definitely the way to go even with the current ammo situation. The Marlin XT Series gives good accuracy at a decent price if you like bolt guns. The new Liberty Training Rifles from marlin also look like a great deal, but a 10/22 is never a bad choice. Lots of aftermarket mods for them.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    The Ruger 10/22 is probably the best selling semi-auto .22 rifle of all time. Backed with a lifetime warranty and an almost endless selections of upgrades, if you can use a screwdriver and a 5/32nd allen wrench then you cannot outgrow it.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    A .22 rifle can be a blast but I have had a hard time finding .22 LR ammo, especially for a reasonable price. I refuse to pay more than $.10 per round and that imho is to high. I was really surprised to see that .223 ammo is easier to find than .22LR. May look and make sure you can actually find ammo and at prices you are willing to pay locally before purchasing that particular caliber. Just my $.02

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Spanish FR8 Mauser in .308. If you can find one in a customized Bell & Ccarlson stock, consider yourself lucky. I think I will now go to the classifieds to see if there is one there.....

genehopkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    I used to own a hunting / fishing store here in Columbus, and had this question many times from people new to shooting. My answer then and now, is a Ruger 10/22. Inexpensive, dependabe, and fun to shoot. One of the most accurate plinkers and very easy to shoot. Light, well balanced, points easy, all that you would want In a first long gun.

TheWiredFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    I would recommend something like the S&W M&P 15-22 (an AR platform 22LR) and here is why:
    People who want to 'train' to be good with the AR in 5.56, buy conversion kits for their ARs or 22LR versions. This allows practicing the platform with less recoil and less ammo cost. The M&P 15-22 is exactly that. You can even buy rail mount scopes, sights, pods, etc to infinity for the 15-22 and most of that stuff can transition over to your 'real' AR when you build it.
    You get 'pre'training in the AR platform, so you will be good with it when you actually get one, and you can continue training with the 15-22 so you don't spend $.50 per round in the future to stay proficient with the AR platform.
    A 10-22 would not get you any of those things.

My thoughts.
    TheWiredFox

-

Top Bottom