• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Brother just got an H&R Handi-Rifle in .45-70gvt.
    He would like to put a low -mid power scope on it, but doesn't want to destroy the scope.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What price point is he looking at , you can go from a $2000~ Night Force 1-8 or a Vortex PST 1-6 for ~$600 with a lot of other very good options in between.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    While I haven't looked through them personally, as I understand it, Leupold has a fixed magnification FX-line with better glass than the Freedom line for the same price (along with less weight, fewer moving parts). If your brother wants irons + an offset scope, might be worth considering, too. For the deer woods that I hunt in WV, their 2.5x would be just about perfect for my tastes. Low price, American made, and just enough magnification to greatly reduce effort to get on and identify targets on the shady side of the hill. I think Midsouth Shooters has these in stock. The FX-II 2.5x is what I'll likely go with for the 7mm-08 carbine that I eventually will get my hands on, assuming Ruger Ronin doesn't convert me to a red dot type sight before then.

I just purchased a Meopta Optika6 (30mm tube and max/min mag=6) 1-6x with a 4C reticle that I'm excited about, but I won't receive it until Monday. They also have a 2-10x Optika 5 (1" tube and max/min mag=5) that would be good if he wants adjustable magnification. These are assembled in the Czech republic, but I believe with Asian sourced glass for the budget Meopro line.

Camera Land NY has a Steiner P4xi, and EuroOptic has a Zeiss 1-4 on clearance if avoiding Chinese made scopes. I quite like the two Zeiss scopes that I currently have, but their prices increased shortly after I purchased mine.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yeah, I'd like an FX 12 for my .219 D Wasp.
    Nobody has any.
    Would tolerate the matte on the gloss rifle.
    But it looks like I'll just get a reg M8 12X and slap on some Stoney Point knobs.
    Old clean target knob rigs are too much $.
    And I hate the target windage, liked the "Varmint" model w just the tall elev turret.
    Had one on a blued fluted 700 VS

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yeah, I'd like an FX 12 for my .219 D Wasp.
    Nobody has any.
    Would tolerate the matte on the gloss rifle.
    But it looks like I'll just get a reg M8 12X and slap on some Stoney Point knobs.
    Old clean target knob rigs are too much $.
    And I hate the target windage, liked the "Varmint" model w just the tall elev turret.
    Had one on a blued fluted 700 VS
    Why not a Weaver T16? T10?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well this would be a freight train of an optic. Maybe a little more magnification than he'd want, but he'll never damage it.

Top Bottom