Recommend a gunsmith for Savage bolt gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I've got a pre-accutrigger Savage 110 with a heavy trigger and a cracked barrel locking nut.

Would appreciate recommendations for any gunsmiths in the area who would are known to be good with Savage rifles.

PS - "in the area" - local is Carmel, but anywhere in Central IN would be fine. Also willing to consider shipping the gun elsewhere if necessary but would prefer not to.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Thanks for the advice. I checked out Savageshooters.com - you're right, lots of good info there. SSdoug, Sharps looks good and I am considering doing their "competition trigger" replacement.

AVboiler, the rifle is a 30-06. Looks to me like I'd need a barrel wrench, an action wrench, and headspace guages. To do the job once, seems the costs of the tools vs. gunsmith time are about equal or slightly more for the tools. Obviously this would get economical if I wind up rebarrelling another Savage.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    You might contact MS Armament. I don't think they do gunsmithing per se, but I know they do barrel swaps on Savages and should have all the necessary equipment with the possible exception of go/no-go gages.

I'd do it for a 12 pack of beer (even have a spare barrel nut or two) but I don't have 30-06 headspace gages...

Top Bottom