• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I will be going to the Smoky Mountains this and plan to do some hiking while there. I plan on taking a GPS, but just in case I get bad signal or the battery dies or it just decides not to work for some reason, I'd like to have a backup, and while I have used a compass before, I have not bought one. Are they all pretty much the same or are they like everything else and one is better than another? Can anyone recommend a good but inexpensive compass? Is $20-25 enough to spend or am I looking at more for a good one? Thanks

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Anything Silva in your price range will do what you're after. I've found my way around the Boundary Waters with the one that has a fold down lid,mirror inside, not sure of the model. The old boy scout map reading compass on a clear plastic base is my backup,works great too!

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Just about anything in the Silva or Brunton lines will serve you well; easily under $20 (the Brunton 9020G is a good 'back up' model, as well as others).

But, in the Smokies, all you really need is smoething to tell general direction (N/S/E/W), the trails are well marked and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Your main use of the GPS (IMHO) will be for elevation; with a good topo, you should know what trail you are on and the elevation will tell you right where you are at.

HAVE FUN..... Greg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Simple, basic - Silva Starter 123 $12

Similar but adds the two most common USGS map scales, no math or conversion - Silva Explorer 203 $22

I have both.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Silva and a GPS work great together. The GPS can tell you which compass point to walk towards, but has a really, really hard time telling you which way you are facing or waliking. That's where the Silva comes in.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Just picked up a silva from gande mtn for my bob and my off grid camping ruck i highly recommend them. I believe they they where 12$ a piece also grabbed a nalgene while i was there for $9.99

Top Bottom