• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy05

Plinker
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am looking to get back into deer hunting this year and was looking for a good recomendation on a not to expensive muzzleloading rifle. I have been looking at the CVA Buckhorn & the Wolf. Are these good guns, or is there a better gun for the money that I should look at? Is the Wolf worth the extra money?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    How does the T/C Omega compare to the CVA's?

i had a long informational post with lots of info and stats but the server timed out or whatever the 503 means so here is the short version

the cva does not compare to the omega. accuracy wise the tc line (omega prohunter) is in a league of there own. the omega has the same barrel as the prohunter. ive tested cva, omega, prohunter, savage muzzloaders and the prohunters ive tested are the most accurate followed closly by the omega and then the savage. the cva is a distant 4th. the prohunter is my favorite muzzleloader. the omega doesn't have some of the features that the prohunter has but its not 700 bucks either.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    If your looking for cheap you might look and see if the Traditions Timberridge .50 in lines are still available. I got mine for Christmas through Cabelas for $89. It seems like a sound gun. I own a Knight .50 and a Lyman GPR traditional gun and they are good guns too. The T/Cs are nice and u cant go wrong there

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. Now one more question. Is there much of a market for used T/C Omega's, or should I just look for a good deal on a new one?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    id wait and buy one used. deer season is a long ways off so you have some time. muzzleloaders more than other guns lose alot of value when leaving the dealer. its like a brand new car.

dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    IMO the only muzzleloader I would buy is the Savage 10ml2.

Blackpowder is such a pain.

bstewrat3

Master
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. Now one more question. Is there much of a market for used T/C Omega's, or should I just look for a good deal on a new one?

I was going to tell you to post a wanted ad in the classifieds, but you are still working on your posts. There are deals to be had on them used. It's tax time so some people may be doing a little fund raising.

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was going to tell you to post a wanted ad in the classifieds, but you are still working on your posts. There are deals to be had on them used. It's tax time so some people may be doing a little fund raising.

Thanks for the advice. I have been keeping my eyes out on all the used racks, I have not found a lot in the past few months. I figure I have some time to sit and wait for a good deal to come along.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I just bought a T/C Omega because I want to replace the 209 plug with a .25acp plug adapter. I have a traditions .50cal scoped and sighted in at 110 on the cross hairs and 220 at the lower cross, plus the see through rings at 50yrd, 42769vette can verify. I plan on selling it this late summer, if you would like to shoot this summer PM me and we can work something out.

fornick33.jpg

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    So I found a NIB CVA Wolf for $125. Would you guys consider that worth looking into or should I keep looking for a used T/C Omega? I unfortunally have to keep the cost of this purchase low for reasons you guys probably understand. Do you think that a used T/C Omega would be near the $150 range?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    How about this, I live in Greenfield, lets get together in the next few weeks and I will bring my T/C Omega and my Traditions, and you can handle and shoot them both. That way you don't buy anything blind. You will see the features of both ML's and can go from there.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    imo the 150 to buy a brand new omega would be money well spent. if you find one used it coould be less than 150.

in your hunting area how far will you be shooting. i think the cva will group well enough to make ethical 100-125 yd shots, it you want to have more range than that my advise would be to hold off.

if your hunting thick brush and only shooting 50 yds that would effect my answer

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    imo the 150 to buy a brand new omega would be money well spent. if you find one used it coould be less than 150.

in your hunting area how far will you be shooting. i think the cva will group well enough to make ethical 100-125 yd shots, it you want to have more range than that my advise would be to hold off.

if your hunting thick brush and only shooting 50 yds that would effect my answer

Where can you buy a brand new omega for $150?

Top Bottom