Reccomended amounts of ammo to keep on hand?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to Jeffersonville when the SHTF!!!!

I have 5K per cal just because I'm cheap and I bought it because it wasn't hard to see the ramp up in prices coming. This should last me two years. I'm out of the market now, so ammo should be getting more plentiful.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    My father was totally anal about having all the reloading gear, bullet molds, powder, primers, brass, lead, you name it he had it. Passed all that knowledge down to me, along with all his gear after he stopped reloading, and since we would reload day in and day out, we churned out the ammo, all on a Herters Single Stage Press. .223 .243 .38Special .357 .22Hornet .308 .45LC 9mm 44mag

Like I said though, mags are where it's at, the more mags you have the better. Loading mags is a PITA I mean yea we always run out of mags, but I would rather have 50 mags loaded go shooting, and NOT have to load mags, I found that was the biggest time waster at the range, I would spend 3/4 of my time loading mags, we may go thru 30 or 35 AR mags, 40 or 50 pistol mags, hell probably 200 .22lr mags for my tac 10/22 :-) my kids love that more than the AR... plus its much cheaper to shoot... well instead of sitting there loading, loading, loading, tote mags, then reload when you get home, then clean guns, bingo, done for the day...

Just my 2 cents...

INGunGuy

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    No one answered a question from a couple pages back, and I liked it, so I'll repeat it.

What kind of ammo are we talking?

I've got upwards of 800 rounds for my .45, but only about 100 of that is for personal protection.

If zombies attack, I'd rather have the FMJ's anyway, seeing as I could kill multiple zombies with one round :D.

Seriously though, how much and what kind? In a pinch any kind will kill, anyway, right?

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    currently I have close to 500 9mm and a little over 100 of .45 FMJ. Will be stopping on the way home today to grab a couple 100 packs of shotgun shells and clays. Start my vacation today so I need to resupply :D

rfguy1984

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I say buy as much as you can afford and/or plan to shoot. After Obama spends the 2 Trillion bucks we will se some serious inflation...I remember in 2000 I had bought several 1K round cases of Wolf 7.62X39 shipped to my door for $69. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20!!!

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My father was totally anal about having all the reloading gear, bullet molds, powder, primers, brass, lead, you name it he had it. Passed all that knowledge down to me, along with all his gear after he stopped reloading, and since we would reload day in and day out, we churned out the ammo, all on a Herters Single Stage Press. .223 .243 .38Special .357 .22Hornet .308 .45LC 9mm 44mag

Like I said though, mags are where it's at, the more mags you have the better. Loading mags is a PITA I mean yea we always run out of mags, but I would rather have 50 mags loaded go shooting, and NOT have to load mags, I found that was the biggest time waster at the range, I would spend 3/4 of my time loading mags, we may go thru 30 or 35 AR mags, 40 or 50 pistol mags, hell probably 200 .22lr mags for my tac 10/22 :-) my kids love that more than the AR... plus its much cheaper to shoot... well instead of sitting there loading, loading, loading, tote mags, then reload when you get home, then clean guns, bingo, done for the day...

Just my 2 cents...

INGunGuy

Hint: Kids love to load mags.;)

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No one answered a question from a couple pages back, and I liked it, so I'll repeat it.

What kind of ammo are we talking?

I've got upwards of 800 rounds for my .45, but only about 100 of that is for personal protection.

If zombies attack, I'd rather have the FMJ's anyway, seeing as I could kill multiple zombies with one round :D.

Seriously though, how much and what kind? In a pinch any kind will kill, anyway, right?

I keep 5K 9mm and 4K of 45acp. Most of it is FMJ or TMJ. Probably 100 rds of 9mm JHP and 200 45acp JHP. The only zombies I'm worried about are the ones in D.C. aiming to dramatically increase prices or reduce options.

Top Bottom