• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been around. Know anyone who has ammo?

Just kidding. :D

I did have a quick question about JHP. I've only shot FMJ 9mm out of my CZ-75, but want to get some JHP for carry. I've been looking at Black Hills ammo. Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

Thanks.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I've only shot Black Hills Cowboy loads, but I've heard plenty about them. They seem to make a premium round, regardless of caliber, and they're pretty accurate as far as corporate ammo is concerned.

I've never seen a review of their defensive rounds, though, so I can't speak to their quality of anything. I'd have to guess (based on their other rounds) they'd do okay..

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'll get to say this before anyone else does!

You'll probably want to try a few brands out before deciding on which one is the one you'll carry.

It could happen to be that YOUR firearm doesn't like Black Hills, or a Winchester product, or a Federal product...

This WILL cost you money, but you need to buy a box of each type that you're thinking about and try them.

Then, out of your acceptable choices, pick one. Then buy a few more boxes and practice with it. Determine how it patterns out of your gun. Learn what the recoil is like with it.

Then buy some more, fill your mags, and carry it.

Also: Most people will carry a mid-weight 9mm in the warmer months and a heavier 9mm in the colder months. 124gr vs 147gr. 147s where penetration through heavier clothing/coats may be warrented.

If this is going to be your case, you'll have to do more practicing with the different weights, they'll pattern differently over the same distances.

-J-

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

If this is going to be your case, you'll have to do more practicing with the different weights, they'll pattern differently over the same distances.

-J-

Which is why I just pick one my gun likes and stick with it... SHTF I'm sure as heck not going to be able to think about which ammo I'm carrying and where it hits!

I like 147 in 9mm because it's usually most accurate (my Beretta turns out to really like this bullet weight) and gives good penetration. Modern bullet designs, like the PDX1s in my gun, work very well at this bullet weight also.

Top Bottom