• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think my 12+ year old Honda may have gone kaput tonight. Self propelled won't engage. Not sure the old girl is worth fixing. I have been telling my wife "one more season" for a couple of years now. So I am looking for a new self propelled mower. Suggestions.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I worked on the Honda self propelled for years. If you take it to a good small Engine mechanic they might be able to tell you if the engine is ok . If the engine is ok then the drive train wouldn't need much maybe a belt or the drive gear. I hope that helps.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Given you got 12y out of it, Another Honda or anything with a Briggs on it. Both power trains are solid. Everything else is meh.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Next one will have a Honda engine. My old mower runs perfectly. Just change the oil and give em a new plug every once in a while.

I am going to have the Honda dealer look at the drivetrain. I am just not sure the old mower is worth putting a bunch of money into. Also it is a little small for the amount of mowing I do. But I don't replace things that aren't broke.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I just finished the 2nd season with a Kohler engine Toro. It really does start first pull, the self propelled is great and it never bogs down with anything that even resembles a lawn. It also seems to be easy on the gas consumption. I have been happy with it.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I think you're on the right track. Honda makes excellent equipment, I'll be needing a new mower next season or so also. I've been doing some research on JD push mowers and most seem to have Briggs engines.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If Lawnboy still made real mowers (mag or alum decks, a real Lawnboy 2 cycle engine) I'd recommend them. Mine just finally died after 20 years. I'm at a loss now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I will take the time to lament the fall of the good equipment. Too many good companies have sold out to conglomerates and sold their souls.

My neighbor as a kid, as well as my current neighbor had/have troy bilt tillers. Old school. hard as nails, ultra reliable. The ones you find in stores today are now produced by the cheapest means possible, and are crap.

/get off my lawn!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If Lawnboy still made real mowers (mag or alum decks, a real Lawnboy 2 cycle engine) I'd recommend them. Mine just finally died after 20 years. I'm at a loss now.

I have a lawnboy self-propelled from one of the last years Lawnboy was really lawnboy... I love it... always starts 1st or 2nd pull, doesn't burn any oil (4-stroke) and sips fuel. I can mow my entire half-acre on less than 1 tank of gas, and the tank is about the size of a quart or liter...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will look at the Toro. Thank you.

Father In Law had a Troy Bilt mower. Complete junk. He tried to give it to me because he wouldn't use it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I will look at the Toro. Thank you.

Father In Law had a Troy Bilt mower. Complete junk. He tried to give it to me because he wouldn't use it.

Troybilt and many other names are all owned by MTD, a huge OPE conglomerate... I suggest you research which ones are NOT made by MTD and limit your purchase to those...

ETA
    List of MTD OWNED brands:
    • Bolens
    • Columbia
    • Cub Cadet
      • Cub Cadet Commercial
      • Cub Cadet Yanmar (joint with Yanmar)
    • Farm King
    • GardenWay
    • Gold Series
    • Gutbrod
      • Gutbrod-Kehrer
    • Lawnflite
    • Mastercut
    • Mow Master
      • Mow Master Mastercut
    • MTD
      • MTD Black Edition
      • MTD Silver Edition
      • MTD Gold
      • MTD Mowmaster
      • MTD Platinum Pro
      • MTD Platinum SD
      • MTD Pro
      • MTD Super
      • MTD Taral
      • MTD Tradesman
      • MTD Turbomax
      • MTD 2000 Elite
    • Novotrac
    • Ranch King
    • Rasentrac
    • Remington
    • Ryobi (sold at Costco)
    • Troy-Bilt
    • Ventzki
    • Ventzki MTD
    • White Outdoor]
    • Yard Machines
    • Yard-Man
      • Yard-Man Elite
      • Yard-Man Select
    • YardWorks
    Also, of note, Toro and Craftsman product (among many others) are made by MTD. MTD is renowned for it's junk that fails within a year or so of manufacture, typically just months outside of the warranty...

ETA2, link to more complete list of who MTD makes OPE products for: http://support.mtdproducts.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/178/~/brands-manufactured-by-mtd

Last edited:

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    I would stick with Honda as well. My father in law has one (HRR series) that is just about a year old and it works really well. The twin blade does a good job cutting and the smart drive feature is nice. If I had one complaint it would probably be that the mower is almost too fast. It seems like you can almost job with it and sometimes it feels like it wants to pop a wheelie.

The other option to get a Honda mower is to get one of the higher end Husqvarnas. My own mower is their AWD model that Lowes sells. It cuts really well and goes over terrain like a 4x4 monster, but its quite a bit slower than the Honda, doesn't mulch worth a crap, and feels pretty damn heavy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Took my mower to the dealer. Probably a bad transmission since this seems to be a common problem on this model. $189 for the part. They are going to double check just to make sure. I told them I would pay for their time and since they have to take it apart to see they might as well disconnect the gear box. At least then I have a regular push mower.

Looked at a Toro. Their engine is a Chinese Honda copy. At least on the "higher end" models.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I go with, i will try to spell this w/o my cell phones ability to help a husqavarna:rockwoot:
    Iv'e had mine for 5 years now, same spark plug, starts every single time with 1push of the primer.
    I think the motor is a Briggs.
    A husky will always be my goto mower.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    While I am no expert, I have been buying consumer goods for a long time. Just because a single corporation sells a low end discount house grade, does not mean every product they make is falling apart crap. I would never expect a $109.00 mower to be the same quality as a $399.00 mower, no matter what brand sticker is on the box.

Remember it was the same General Motors who made the 1972 "falling apart" Vega, as made the 1972 Trans AM and the 1972 coupe deVille. Corporate diversification is not a unique. Generally, when you pay the least, you get the least.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I say avoid the John Deere self propelled mowers. I paid $400-$500 for one two years ago and it's been back to Reynolds Equipment for repairs and parts replacements several times. And actually, I wouldn't deal with Reynolds again either.

I'm buying a Honda next time.

Top Bottom