• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Hey guys I'm in the process of replacing all the rotten wood on my porch. It currently has 4 windows across the back and 4 windows down one of the sides.

I'm thinking about changing to just 3 windows per side or even just down to 2 windows per side. I don't know squat about supporting loads but I would think that going from 4 windows down to 3 would still provide more than enough support. However going down to 3 I'd loose the support centered below the peak of the roof but with how it is constructed I don't think it would matter. Also currently all posts are 2x4's except for the outside corners, the new posts will all be 4x4's instead.

Here are a couple of pictures. You fellas have any thoughts? :)

One post already removed in this picture.

[FONT=&amp]
    rccZ9lf.jpg

[/FONT]

Pic of original construction

[FONT=&amp]
    ux166hK.jpg
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure what direction you're going, but if you must put wood on concrete, make sure it's treated. And since this project is outdoors, everything should be treated anyway. And even treated lumber eventually rots in the weather.
    I also seal the wood with Thompson's water seal.
    Also pressure treated lumber is more likely to warp.

Last edited:

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm not sure what direction you're going, but if you must put wood on concrete, make sure it's treated. And since this project is outdoors, everything should be treated anyway. And even treated lumber eventually rots in the weather.
    I also seal the wood with Thompson's water seal.
    Also pressure treated lumber is more likely to warp.

Yes I'll also being getting a new fan as the current one is pretty rotten but hey it's 31 years old.

I would use the post bases however what is not shown in the pics is the short brick wall. The wall will be capped with a cedar board and the posts will also be cedar. Unfortunately I'll be painting the cedar to match the rest of house. It's rough sawn cedar so it's going to be a pain to paint. Thinking that I'll likely need to sand down some of the rough/loose fibers before paint. I'm just doing the other posts in 4x4 for appearance sake. Also think I'm going to try the screeneze system for the screens, it seems like it would work well.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Don't mess with the corner posts and you'll be fine. The corners are the load bearing posts.

This reminds me of the old garages with the wavy roofs. They were roofed in heavy long boards and the weight would drop the roof and bow the trusses above the door. More support is never a bad thing. And it's a lot more than 16" from post to post.
    I would replace them one at a time.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The cedar is a better option.

A new indoor fan will also droop. The outdoor blades are plastic but look like wood.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes I'll also being getting a new fan as the current one is pretty rotten but hey it's 31 years old.

I would use the post bases however what is not shown in the pics is the short brick wall. The wall will be capped with a cedar board and the posts will also be cedar. Unfortunately I'll be painting the cedar to match the rest of house. It's rough sawn cedar so it's going to be a pain to paint. Thinking that I'll likely need to sand down some of the rough/loose fibers before paint. I'm just doing the other posts in 4x4 for appearance sake. Also think I'm going to try the screeneze system for the screens, it seems like it would work well.

Get a whizz roller with a 3/4 inch nap and you won't need to sand (assuming it's bare wood).

Top Bottom