• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    I had a no lock 686 with the 2.5" barrel. Really wanting another 686. I really like the looks of the 686 Plus Deluxe. 3" barrel. Don't need it. Just miss having a .357 I really like the looks of the 3" with the wood grips. I understand that S & W quality might have slipped a bit but still not sure what else would scratch the itch.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I've been working on S&W revolvers for 30+ years and IMO the current revolvers are the best they have ever made.
    Yes some bad ones get out like any manufacture can let some slip out.
    The older guns that everyone wants, while beautiful guns are internally way worse for fitment and machining.
    The Forged parts that everyone wants are all over the place in dimensions and my full on carry or competition action jobs usually take a couple of hours longer on a forged part gun vs a current mim gun. That is just time spent getting the forged parts squared up and back in spec.
    You want a S&W revolver to shoot a couple times a year and keep in the safe for a investment get a older forged part gun as it will not go down in value any more.
    You want a Revolver to actually shoot or carry then hands down a current manufacture gun is the better gun for that.
    Also parts are available if needed for the newer guns while parts for the older guns are really getting hard to find and expensive.
    :twocents:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I share your feelings too. I had a no dash 4in, and traded for a Sig226R, really like that Sig though.
    Will be shopping around, but at $1000, tough to let that $ go!

Luckily I found another 4in, not a 686, its a Taurus 65. It was new in box, blued like the old Taurus guns were. Has a lugged bbl, fixed sight though. It fits my 686 holsters like a glove.
    Only shot some 38 spec through it, hard to find 357mag rounds without losing my first born Son.

Good luck.(I'm still 686 hunting)

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I feel the same way, I really want another 4 inch pre lock 66 or a model 19 to hang onto. That to me is my favorite and style of revolver of any type regardless if it's a magnum or not.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I had a no lock 686 with the 2.5" barrel. Really wanting another 686. I really like the looks of the 686 Plus Deluxe. 3" barrel. Don't need it. Just miss having a .357 I really like the looks of the 3" with the wood grips. I understand that S & W quality might have slipped a bit but still not sure what else would scratch the itch.
    Every time I hold a S&W 686, or a model 66 (which is my preferred S&W), I think 'I want it!'
    But then I remember that I have a 3" GP100 that is a fantastic shooter...and I just can bring
    myself to spend the $$! Love the GP100's...

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    The 686+ 3" is a great revolver. I picked up a used one (over 5 years ago now, wow!), no box or paperwork just the revolver. It's very well balanced in your hand and the stock trigger is just fine. I don't carry it yet, still haven't searched for an IWB holster, but I do take it out for practice. I'll never get rid of it! I hate to tell you what I paid for it 5+ years ago...it was almost 1/2 of what their bringing now on GB. Doubt they'll drop much in price in today's economy...so if you're still 'itching'...go get one!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom