• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In another thread I raise my proposed modification of the NFA involving moving suppressors to Title I* to increase the use of suppressors for public health reasons.

The sale of a suppressor would still involve a background check but no tax, registration or wait would be involved. Federal preemption would also be mandated.

I have also proposed an amendment to the 1968 SSA involving a "Collector's License". Under under a regime the collector would be treated like a super Curio and Relics licensee.

The holder of such a collector's license would have the record keeping requirements of the C&R license, but would be able buy firearms, Title I and Title II, across state lines and would not be subject to the machine gun freeze of the FOPA or state law (again federal preemption).

Another proposal I have is to take 50% of all P-R funds and build ranges, starting near major population centers. It would be a public-private partnership with the NRA and make CMP a permanent "captured" governmental agency.

Finally, I would like to see the abolition of ATFE's "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" rule so we could see the sale of M14s via the CMP.

Anyone else have any thoughts as to gun law amendments/modifications that they would like to see. Attempt to keep it within reason.:D

*Firearms are divided into Title I and II. Title II are covered by the NFA. Title I firearms are outside the NFA requirements.

Classes relate to types of Dealers. There is no "Class 3" or "Class III" firearm, but like "Xerox" and photocopy, we know what you mean.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have nothing to add, other than, you best get busy writing the "legalese" version. Preferably with out any tea stains on the documents.

I am for all that you mentioned above.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I like it. As for M-14s, there was actually a proposed Amendment to current law published by NRA in AR, sometime in the early '90's, to remove M-14s converted to semi by government arsenals from the purview of the NFA. Clinton made sure he destroyed most of them after that. The Collector's license idea makes sense, at least for Title I items. Unless we get a pro-gun supermajority in the House, I don't know if we'll ever modify the NFA again.

JordanN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Allow honorably-discharged service members to keep their service rifles. The rifles would be registered to them, and they would not be allowed to transfer them except to an blood heir upon death, to a non-profit shooting education program, or to be destroyed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    there was actually a proposed Amendment to current law published by NRA in AR, sometime in the early '90's

Yes, I know, that was me.:D

I'm the guy that wrote the entire NRA BoD about my goofy ideas as a sophomore in undergrad.

Yes, Clinton gave away most of the M14s (boatloads to the Baltic States, e.g.) and then destroyed what he could before he lost the Congress.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Not sure if it's within reason or politically achievable, but...
    on the Federal level: the elimination of 18USC 922(o).

On the State level: striking IC 35-47-2-1

Interested in reading more of your ideas.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Why not go right to the root of the problem and eliminate the rent seeking "sporting purpose" test of the 1968 law?
    Yes. Saw it proposed elsewhere several years ago by a few who seemed well-versed in federal gun laws. Have to search archives. It was posited that the elimination of the sporting purposes clause of '68 GCA would solve many problems without going for the whole enchilada.

You could no doubt lay it out better, though.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As stated above, I firmly believe the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Nothing there about barrel length or overall length, nothing about noise levels, nothing about rounds per trigger pull, or date of manufacture.

Control criminals, not firearms.

Thank you, rant off.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I say hopefully we toss enough losers out in November that we rightwingers can repeal the healthcare monstrosity. Shove that right down Obama's vetoing throat. Also the machine gun ban. Maybe repeal the NFA, and GCA of 1968. Shove those his throat, too. The proper way - with sufficient votes to shut down a filibuster and override a veto.

That's my dream.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember the good old days of $250 MAC's $400 Uzi's $600 M16's and $1200 M-60s. Maybe again someday.:)

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I say hopefully we toss enough losers out in November that we rightwingers can repeal the healthcare monstrosity. Shove that right down Obama's vetoing throat. Also the machine gun ban. Maybe repeal the NFA, and GCA of 1968. Shove those his throat, too. The proper way - with sufficient votes to shut down a filibuster and override a veto.

That's my dream.

Show me the Republicans who are running on repealing 34 and 68.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Allow honorably-discharged service members to keep their service rifles. The rifles would be registered to them, and they would not be allowed to transfer them except to an blood heir upon death, to a non-profit shooting education program, or to be destroyed.

I whole heartedly second that. I would like to add that all gear equipped with the weapon should be included, because I had a super sick M4 and an M14 that was decked out. Wish I could have taken them with me.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    In another thread I raise my proposed modification of the NFA involving moving suppressors to Title I* to increase the use of suppressors for public health reasons.

The sale of a suppressor would still involve a background check but no tax, registration or wait would be involved. Federal preemption would also be mandated.

I really like this. Being able to protect your hearing is incredibly important. Yet it seems to be a difficult process to get a suppressor. I take my non-gun owning step mom to the range and she can't use anything louder than a .22 because of damage she had to her hearing at the Indy 500 :ingo:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    That would be paradise if they would find a way to deal with the criminals that inevitably f**k up everything good thing about this country. :shoot:

There wasn't any problem with pre-86 machine guns. Crimes committed with them, over a period of decades, was in the single digits.

Top Bottom