• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the thread got closed Before i found this..
    this was several years ago.

No charges filed in road rage case
    By Martha Fulkerson
    Criminal charges will not be filed against a rural Colfax man involved in a shooting last December.
    Matthew H. Gevers, 39, 9290 W. Boone County Road 900N, was initially accused of fatally shooting Kevin Buchanon, 37, Clarks Hill,
    following an alleged road rage incident that began on U.S. 52 south of Lafayette.
    “There really wasn’t much physical evidence,” said Tippecanoe County Deputy Prosecutor Tim Kern of his decision not to file charges.
    “He (Gevers) told police what happened and he’s the only witness we know of to the shooting.”
    The shooting occurred around 7:30 a.m. Dec. 10 as the men were en route to work.
    The two drivers, Buchanon in a 1995 Dodge Ram and Gevers in a 1992 Mazda 626, were both northbound on U.S. 52. Kern said Gevers admitted
    to driving closely behind Buchanon at one point, but then proceeded to pass him on the right.
    Buchanon then followed Gevers to Rascal Drive, and Gevers parked in a cul-de-sac off Concord Road, Kern said. Buchanon got out of his truck,
    while Gevers remained seated in his vehicle. Gevers stated he had a .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol on his lap, Kern said. He noted that Gevers
    did have a gun permit.
    Gevers stated he did not point the loaded gun at Buchanon.
    “(Buchanon) said he was going to kill him for riding up on him,” Kern said.
    As Buchanon approached, Gevers stated he raised the gun to his chest, but did not point it. Gevers was then struck in the mouth by Buchanon, Kern
    said, and the gun went off as Gevers’ head went back.
    Gevers drove to Sunbelt Rentals to call 911.
    “He never claimed self-defense,” Kern said. “He said he didn’t remember pulling the trigger, that it just went off and he heard it go off.”
    One bullet punctured Buchanon’s shoulder and exited, Kern said. The bullet was never recovered.
    Ballistic tests were conducted on the weapon, and the scene was reconstructed. Kern said investigators were able to recreate the same trajectory of the
    bullet, and they were unable to refute or disprove Gevers’ statements.
    Kern said Gevers cannot be charged criminally but could face civil liability if the victim’s family pursues it.
    “It’s a tragic set of circumstances,” Kern said. “I think both of them could have made better choices that morning.”
    Kent Moore, Gevers’ attorney, said he is pleased with the outcome. He said he first learned of the prosecutor’s decision Friday morning.
    “He (Gevers) feels very bad that something like this occurred,” Moore said.
    *Original Article found here:
    http://www.ftimes.com/Main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=18128

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    In my opinion---it seems that Gevers could have rolled up the window and locked the door. Having his firearm at the ready was a good idea, but I'm interested in how a round was fired accidentally here. Perhaps poor trigger discipline? That being said, I hardly feel bad for Buchanon. He was the aggressor, plain and simple.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I was watching Tru TV the other day, In Session was on. The case was about a man who claimed his rifle fell off the table and a shot hit his girlfriend on the neck. Well, in order for that to happen, she had to lay down on the floor or the rifle would hit her lower part instead. But who would have a loaded rifle in the house anyway?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    In my opinion---it seems that Gevers could have rolled up the window and locked the door. Having his firearm at the ready was a good idea, but I'm interested in how a round was fired accidentally here. Perhaps poor trigger discipline? That being said, I hardly feel bad for Buchanon. He was the aggressor, plain and simple.

Yes, poor trigger discipline, prosecutor could have stretched charges out because of this, failure to properly secure and hold a firearm.

I was watching Tru TV the other day, In Session was on. The case was about a man who claimed his rifle fell off the table and a shot hit his girlfriend on the neck. Well, in order for that to happen, she had to lay down on the floor or the rifle would hit her lower part instead. But who would have a loaded rifle in the house anyway?

I beg to differ on this, any firearm or long gun with a very low poundage trigger pull can discharge from impact that causes any motion of the trigger to move towards the firing position. Been proven many times.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    don't think Gevers got a cake walk..
    He was arrested & spent time in jail until bail. And as they point out in the story may have been sued.. I think this happened before the legal jeaperty law was passed.. but he did not claim SD...

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    He may not go to jail, but he will probably be sued for more than he will ever make and spend the rest of his life paying other people's bills.

I was the victem of road rage last summer. Is it wrong that i said "dang" when i read his vehicle description did not match the guy who attacked me?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    now contrast with this story a few years later;

JEFFERSONVILLE,Ind. -- An Indiana prosecutor will figure out who's at fault after a case of road rage ends in gunfire.

The shooting happened Tuesday afternoon at the intersection of Highway 62 and Allison Lane in Jeffersonville.
    Wesley Mosier Jr., 52, was shot in the chest.
    Police said the female shooter in the case is claiming self-defense, but in an exclusive interview, Mosier's family says there is nothing that can justify her actions.
    "To just pull a gun out and shoot somebody makes you feel like she thinks she's got a license to kill," said Wesley Mosier Sr.
    Hours after his son and namesake was wounded, Mosier was at the hospital, and trying to understand the actions that now have his son clinging to life.
    "I'm worried about him right now," he said. "I don't know what happened, but I just think it's terrible."
    "There seemed to be some aggression between the vehicles going down the road," said Detective Todd Hollis of Jeffersonville Police. "There is one witness that puts the behavior between the two as far back as a mile."
    Police said those actions were a result of road rage between Mosier, who was on a motorcycle, and Yolanda Parrish, who was in an SUV.
    Hollis said Parrish, 39, had her 15-year-old son in the car when she said Mosier began to scare her.
    Investigators said at some point, Mosier stopped in front of Parrish's SUV, got off his bike and started walking toward her.
    Parrish claims he became so aggressive, she had no other choice but to pull out a .38 and shoot him.
    Mosier's family said the bullet barely missed his heart.
    "He's fighting for his life, and I think whoever this person is who did this, I think they don't realize he has a family, too, and to pull out a gun and shoot someone in the chest is purely crazy," said Eva Leachman, Mosier's mother.
    "He's a father. He's not a motorcycle gangster, the way they're making it sound. He's a veteran. He's a high school graduate. I think he has two years college," said Mosier Sr.
    Mosier's family doesn't understand how Parrish isn't yet facing any charges or can claim self-defense.
    "It's not over yet," said Leachman.
    Mosier is in serious condition at University Hospital.
    There are no charges against Parrish. The prosecutor will make the decision on that after reviewing the case.
    Jeffersonville police said Parrish does have a permit for the weapon involved in the shooting and has no record.

[the shooter was convicted & got prison time]

Top Bottom