Range Report: Halloween Shoot with a few INGOers (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What a gorgeous piece of land. It appears as though some people do get to live in paradise. Just out of curiosity, what caliber is a golf ball? I bet one of those could leave a mark!

Thanks for sharing.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    That golf ball launcher looks too cool. Guy at work is a huge golf fan.. I think I'll show him one of those videos.

And yea, the bird shot on pumpkin was interesting.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just out of curiosity, what caliber is a golf ball?

1.68. :D But since it's over an inch, it would probably be called a 43mm.

And incidentally, it weighs 708 grains. :):

I bet one of those could leave a mark!

No doubt in my mind. Seeing it punch through the cardboard and penetrate into the pumpkin was deceptive; it didn't really look like it had all that much velocity. But then shooting it out over the pond, it became obvious that ball was hauling ass. Even esrice's extreme angle shot couldn't manage to drop it into the water, so it was traveling well in excess of 200 yards.

We briefly discussed shooting it at the Easter Bunny, which was ~1/2" plywood, but the fear of a ricochet was a bit too daunting even for us. :laugh:

GunInfected1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What a great day at the for me. Guns:ar15:, Friends :buddies: and Food :cheers:! Is there any better way to spend a Sunday afternoon!? I am greatful for the opportunity provided by our host :rockwoot: lovemywoods and family. I look forward to the next chance to hang out with this great group of folks! Thanks INGO:ingo: for such fantastic friendships.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Fantastic AAR, was most interested in the above and the birdshot-on-pumpkin demonstration. <1/4" penetration really says something!

If birdshot will do nothing but "peel" a pumpkin, I'm not using it to save my life. :twocents:

I didn't see your explanation of the above? Mind saying a few words on it? At this point my AR is just a pipe dream but this certainly was a part of it.

The below video is a good example of the reliability of the magazine we observed during the day. It was spotty at best. While this could be something that comes with being new, it didn't really inspire confidence in it. I think it could be a great magazine for competition shooting where reloads = lost time, but if it doesn't run you'll waste time reducing malfs.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-h4Qauupng[/ame]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I nominate erice for best dressed shooter!...

Evan, you rock tactical chic so well. You're the Michael Kors of the AR-15 world.

Looks like a great time but Evan you are looking like a Hit Man :D I am just
    surprised you did not get any mud on you

That was actually on purpose. I spend a good part of my days dressed like that so I figured it was good to get some trigger time dressed "normally". I just wore an older pair of slacks and shoes, a shirt with a missing button and a matching tie that I once wore to a buddy's wedding. I did get some mud on me. :D

I'm very sorry I missed this! :(

We missed you buddy! We'll get you down here eventually!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    BOOM! HEAD SHOT!

[ame]http://youtu.be/WrEIx-4aAZk[/ame]

And the grisly aftermath...

bunny_guts.jpg

Last edited:

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Everyone's toys and no invite makes me feel like the poor kid on the block who didn't get invited to an outing due to being so poor and not having as good of toys :(

But thanks for sharing!! :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Everyone's toys and no invite makes me feel like the poor kid on the block who didn't get invited to an outing due to being so poor and not having as good of toys :(

Hey now I'm the poor kid-- I've only got two guns.

Of course when I was a kid I did try and hang out with the kid who had all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, including the Turtle Blimp. :D

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I got the golf ball launcher from Cheaper than dirt, around 20$. I think in the open with a good tight fit it will reach out to over 300 yds, possibly even pushing 400. There is no spin so its kind of like a knuckle-ball. I shot through 3/4" plywood with it. Even my grandma wants to shoot the golf ball launcher. Everyone who pulls the trigger on it has the same reaction..... a big smile and laughing like a little kid.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have an old M203 sight that screws on to the [STRIKE]charging[/STRIKE] carrying handle. I wonder how it would translate to a golf ball?

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think in the open with a good tight fit it will reach out to over 300 yds, possibly even pushing 400.

I believe that. In the video you can see some targets set at 211 yards, and the ball went way beyond those, even when shot at a very high angle.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Rifles and pumpkins; you know it's going to be a good range session! :D

We had a wonderful time on a beautiful Fall afternoon in Brown County.

My thanks to all the participants for bringing their personal rifle builds and suppressors. And thanks to Yukon227 for the loan of the golf ball launcher! When he put that in my hand at NFA Day, I had no idea how much fun it would be!

(Just a light-hearted note about using gourds as targets. I've learned that pumpkins are fun and can show some shot patterning. They will take more hits. However, watermelons are much more dramatic when hit with small arms fire due to their solid water-filled core. When using Tannerite, either fruit works equally well! :))

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    you guys should of used titliest instead of those rock flights. they check up and hold the greens better

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Haha I loved the videos with the golf ball launcher! I will admit, though, that I'm sad to see no videos posted of somebody hitting the steel plate at 211 yards with a golf ball!

Top Bottom