• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Cool! Lee had mentioned it on the Primary and Secondary Modcast from last week, and I was watching for this one to get released. As a J-Frame guy, this topic is pretty interesting to me. Looking forward to giving it a listen tomorrow night in the car at work!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not long before Lee joined up here to advertise his classes, I'd found his podcast and started listening.

And I've listened to P&S for like 3 years now - slowly chugging though their catalog. (Not sure I'll ever catch up!)

Now I just need to get to a Randy Harris class... And a Lee Weems class...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not long before Lee joined up here to advertise his classes, I'd found his podcast and started listening.

And I've listened to P&S for like 3 years now - slowly chugging though their catalog. (Not sure I'll ever catch up!)

Now I just need to get to a Randy Harris class... And a Lee Weems class...
    I find some of the P&S modcasts hard to listen to. I have definitely come across some instructors they had on that I thought I wanted to train with but now know I won't. On the flip side, I have enjoyed every show Lee has done with the exception of a recent one that I stopped part way through.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I find some of the P&S modcasts hard to listen to. I have definitely come across some instructors they had on that I thought I wanted to train with but now know I won't. On the flip side, I have enjoyed every show Lee has done with the exception of a recent one that I stopped part way through.
    I'm not a P&S sycophant... But I do enjoy most of their modcasts / podcasts. Even if I don't 100% agree with what they say. I do especially like the Gun Nerds ones the best, however. And there was one I listened to recently (still from '18, I think) about mouse guns and their viability as a defensive tool that I also enjoyed.

What I do not necessarily like is that the whole network is run like a dictatorship. Kind of like if you don't agree with what's being espoused - you're incorrect and need to fix yourself. Now - when it comes to *some* things, I think that attitude is right. But there must be room for discussion, even dissenting discussion, upon almost everything. This is how hardware and software is honed and winnowed. I also think it's odd that sometimes someone will sweep in/over P&S seemingly out of no where. Granted, I'm still in 2018's podcasts...But I'll take Varg Freeborn as an example. Like he popped in suddenly and was thrown to the top as "the guy" for talking about how violent criminal actors think & work... But sometimes his statements are at odds with the late great Dr. William Aprill - the dude with the PhD in that stuff. Call me crazy, but I'll take the words/wisdom/actual research of a PhD-holder in the subject over someone else. Even if that someone else literally had 25 years worth of life experience.

As far as Lee's podcast - the only ones I haven't enjoyed have been the ones where the audio is so bad that I physically just can't hear the guest as they're far too quiet / Lee's voice is subsequently far too loud because I've had to crank my volume up in my car.

With all the Podcasts I subscribe to, however, I'm still playing catch up. I always start with the oldest then chug through.

Anyhow - this has been way more of a "rant session" than Randy's thread deserves. Mea Culpa.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I enjoy the podcasts as they provide something to listen to on slow nights working the night shift. Like anything, you have to engage your brain and not accept everything at face value, and I definitely gain more from some presenters than others (and yeah, every now and then there's one I just can't listen to), but if you keep an open mind and are willing to challenge yourself, you can often come away with some valuable material, or at least a thoughtful perspective on things that you may have not previously considered. You don't have to agree with it all, or consume it hook-line-and-sinker to glean value.

I like Lee as he comes across as a practical guy...not just shilling the latest gear and techniques, but promoting fundamentals and stuff that he's actually seen work. I haven't had the chance to take one of his classes yet, but I'm hoping to at some point down the road.

The backup/small gun discussion is something that interests me as I have carried a backup for years, but some recent medical stuff has forced me to switch up my setup a bit. I used to carry what was basically a smaller version of my primary gun, which was great for the identical manual of arms and shared magazine compatibility, but that's not really an option anymore so I've been working through some other options, and the recent small gun discussions on P&S and now Lee's podcast provide some good info to chew on.

The recent discussions of case law on P&S were really good, too...if you want to gain a greater understanding of Law Enforcement and how the law is applied, those episodes are worth a listen.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm not a P&S sycophant... But I do enjoy most of their modcasts / podcasts. Even if I don't 100% agree with what they say. I do especially like the Gun Nerds ones the best, however. And there was one I listened to recently (still from '18, I think) about mouse guns and their viability as a defensive tool that I also enjoyed.

What I do not necessarily like is that the whole network is run like a dictatorship. Kind of like if you don't agree with what's being espoused - you're incorrect and need to fix yourself. Now - when it comes to *some* things, I think that attitude is right. But there must be room for discussion, even dissenting discussion, upon almost everything. This is how hardware and software is honed and winnowed. I also think it's odd that sometimes someone will sweep in/over P&S seemingly out of no where. Granted, I'm still in 2018's podcasts...But I'll take Varg Freeborn as an example. Like he popped in suddenly and was thrown to the top as "the guy" for talking about how violent criminal actors think & work... But sometimes his statements are at odds with the late great Dr. William Aprill - the dude with the PhD in that stuff. Call me crazy, but I'll take the words/wisdom/actual research of a PhD-holder in the subject over someone else. Even if that someone else literally had 25 years worth of life experience.

As far as Lee's podcast - the only ones I haven't enjoyed have been the ones where the audio is so bad that I physically just can't hear the guest as they're far too quiet / Lee's voice is subsequently far too loud because I've had to crank my volume up in my car.

With all the Podcasts I subscribe to, however, I'm still playing catch up. I always start with the oldest then chug through.

Anyhow - this has been way more of a "rant session" than Randy's thread deserves. Mea Culpa.
    I found Randy's appearance to be enjoyable. Of course people should check it out for themselves because not only am I biased by being his friend, I have talked about all of this stuff with him on numerous occasions.

I am glad Randy got to get out there and show that not only is he not some Johnny come lately with this stuff, but also it is not just a hobby, he takes it quite seriously.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Well, it's been slow tonight and I got to listen to the whole thing straight through. I'm on dinner break now, and will probably pay for that statement later when all hell breaks loose...never say "it's been slow" out loud, lol.

It wasn't exactly what I expected, but it was an interesting show nonetheless. The fact that there's a measurable performance difference that they actually put a number to in the classifier is pretty interesting. I'm not a competition guy, so I'd never heard that before, but it was interesting to hear the performance difference between a full-size and a sub-compact gun expressed in concrete terms. There were also some useful tidbits about reload techniques, the relationship of the AWB to the subcompact handgun, and legal considerations when travelling.

Overall good stuff, thanks Lee and Randy for putting it together!

Reactions: jlw

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Well, I actually joined here for a reason other than advertising classes, but since classes have been mentioned, I have two coming up in June in Terre Haute. ;)
    We have family coming up from FL that weekend. Oh how I'd love to be over in the 'Haute at those two classes. :-(

And Lee, if you need some insurance quotes, I have family that runs an agency in your neck of the woods. I can get you the info if you want. They have offices in Monroe and Greensboro. :-D

Patrick Taylor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2018
    Leitchfield Kentucky
    I find some of the P&S modcasts hard to listen to. I have definitely come across some instructors they had on that I thought I wanted to train with but now know I won't.
    Did you catch the one where they tried to say an HVAC tech has the same qualified immunity as LE? There have been some good ones and I use to check it every week to see if it was anything interesting but do not even look anymore.

Top Bottom