• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I installed 4 rain barrels earlier this year and with the recent temperatures one of the barrels split open. The other 3 are fine but they are filled with ice obviously. For those with rain barrels, what do you do during the winter? Do you empty them or put heaters in (like I do with the water buckets for the animals) or do you store them? I found a little conflicting advice online and curious what people in our area with experience recommend. Thanks in advance.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I use a single 55 gallon barrel for the garden. For the winter, I just pull the hose connection from the bottom, and let it drain. It never gets enough water/ice buildup to crack.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My single plastic Lowes barrel split last winter. It is repairable with hot glue.

But I think eldirector has a good idea... if you're just collecting for the garden. If you're collecting for human consumption, what would you do during the freezing months?

In a related note, my first move for human consumption water collection is stop taking it off of the roof of your house. That water has all kinds of contaminants in it.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Great thoughts. My primary use during the warmers months is for the garden but also for non potable uses around the house if needed in a situation for toilets, laundry etc. In a pinch I could run it through my Berkey for food etc. I like the idea of leaving it open in the winter months so it may not freeze as much. These barrels are meant primarily for the gardens but also a backup source of primarily non potable water.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My single plastic Lowes barrel split last winter. It is repairable with hot glue.

But I think eldirector has a good idea... if you're just collecting for the garden. If you're collecting for human consumption, what would you do during the freezing months?

In a related note, my first move for human consumption water collection is stop taking it off of the roof of your house. That water has all kinds of contaminants in it.

We've been collecting our household water from the roof for many years now. We have a diverter that excludes the first few minutes of rain which washes the roof. Water for drinking and cooking goes through filtration, but the rest is used as is. Worst problem we get is a little algae in the summer, but a little bleach once a month or so takes care of that no problem.

I've had my water tested and the assay showed it to be way cleaner than most of what you all who are on muni water drink, and that's before filtration, and I live downwind of the Petersburg generating station.

As far as winter goes, each of our 1000 gallon tanks has dirt mounded about halfway up which takes care of freezing issues. We have a smaller 55 gallon tank for the garden and the livestock off a porch roof and in the winter if we know we are going to get a cold spell we drain it into the bigger tanks since it's not going to get much rain when it is freezing out.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ok, now you have to at least describe how the diverter works. Pics would be extremely appreciated.

It's cold & dark outside. I understand, I can wait. I am looking for a decent solution for this because what comes off my roof looks like something my Sawyer would be challenged to clean.

But in all seriousness, it's more about the large particulate that I know can be filtered off easily. But the city air and the birds around just makes me shiver thinking about depending on that water, even if it's micron filtered.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ok, now you have to at least describe how the diverter works. Pics would be extremely appreciated.

It's cold & dark outside. I understand, I can wait. I am looking for a decent solution for this because what comes off my roof looks like something my Sawyer would be challenged to clean.

But in all seriousness, it's more about the large particulate that I know can be filtered off easily. But the city air and the birds around just makes me shiver thinking about depending on that water, even if it's micron filtered.

I just googled it and watched a few videos. I had no idea.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

The ones I installed I did so long ago I don't remember who made them, but these are similar:

Downspout First Flush Diverter Kit, 4" - Bathtub And Shower Diverter Valves - Amazon.com

There's all kinds of systems out there including homemade ones:

How to make a first-flush diverter for rainwater harvesting

It's not rocket science.

My favorite design I saw when I was first looking into it was a Rube Goldberg looking thing that had a bucket on one end of a pulley system that tipped up a flexible downspout into the barrel once the bucket filled.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have several rain water collection tanks at my place. The 55 gallon ones get emptied and put in the barn for the winter, and the big one just gets drained down but stays put.

I have my downspouts set up so I just remove the diverters and replace with a section of straight downspout for the winter.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    I have several rain water collection tanks at my place. The 55 gallon ones get emptied and put in the barn for the winter, and the big one just gets drained down but stays put.

I have my downspouts set up so I just remove the diverters and replace with a section of straight downspout for the winter.
    I have 3 barrels and this is what I do with them. I'm looking forward to breaking them out this spring!

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I put mine away around November. Mine came with a plug to put in where I tapped into the downspout at. I would be weary of using a heater as I think it would have a hard time when temps get really low. During the winter I don't have much if anything that needs water so saw no need to keep it hooked up.

Top Bottom