• ...and so much more!
  • Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Need some advice. I had chickens in my backyard up until last fall when Raccoons killed them. I saw the activity in my security cameras. So I have decided to set live traps. Problem is, I'm not sure what I can legally do in Marion County once I catch something. I am after raccoons primarily but I have rabbits, squirrels, and opossum roaming my yard also. I don't have a problem with killing them but I don't really want to eat any of these critters, lol. I do have some property in Bedford area I could dispose of them but I don't think you are supposed to move them out of the county they are caught in. What says INGO?

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    Raccoons can be relocated but most likely more will come in to replace them you are better off making sure thy can't get into your coop.

ETA: Opossums eat a TON of tick, don't get ride of them!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I lived in the country I would shoot the coons and take them way to the back of my property. Nature did the rest.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Raccoons can be relocated but most likely more will come in to replace them you are better off making sure thy can't get into your coop.

ETA: Opossums eat a TON of tick, don't get ride of them!

I agree with this. I also know of some people who have worked with Indy's parks dept to relocate some critters

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you can't shoot them, cavemike has a good suggestion. Opossum do eat ticks, but they also eat chickens and will kill just as many as the raccoons do so don't hesitate to protect your flock.

You are correct that relocating them to another county is against the rules so be careful with that one. Shooting is probably the most humane/fastest method of disposal if that is an option. They can also be bagged and put in the trash if you don't have a way to bury them.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I don't think I could drown something. Seems cruel to me but I'm not really sure why. I think a well placed bullet is best. So, its Ok to bag it and dump in the trash? Not sure why I thought that might be a problem. Too bad I can't move the possums to my tick infested wooded acreage. I appreciate everyone's input.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We usually bury them but when the ground is frozen in the winter, that isn't always easy to do so some have ended up in the trash. I don't know if it is "allowed" or not but it's not like the trash guys are going through the bags to see what is in them. About the only thing we usually drown is mice in a five gallon bucket that I have to catch them in the barn.

Top Bottom