• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I decided to try to get into better shape and purchased P90X. I have lower back issues, but decided to try their back exercises with a pull-up bar. I stopped them for a while because of slight aggravation and used the bands. I then decided that I really just wanted to try to focus on strength training, as I don't really need to lose any weight. So I was doing the shoulder, bicep, and tricep DVD, along with the chest (push-ups) and back (pull-up routines). I would do one, rest a day, do the other, rest a day, go back to the other disk, rest a day, etc.. I didn't really think this would cause injury.

I saw immediate results within weeks and am likely the strongest I've ever been. I even went back to using the pull-up bar, just not straining to get one or two last pull-ups. I went from being able to do one pull up to doing five.

Last Saturday I was doing a shoulder press dumbbell exercise when I heard a pop in right side of my neck or upper right shoulder blade. It wasn't painful, in fact, it wasn't anything after a few seconds. I was easily able to finish the exercise. Later that day, mild soreness, followed by the same Sunday. Then Mon. came and the pain was worse, in my neck, then Tues, down near the shoulder blade. Finally went to the Dr. on Thursday because I was getting cold shakes and I call sinus headaches (I usually get these about once or twice a month, usually during weather pattern changes like when storms come in). It was horrible and I feared I really messed something up. I was taking some ibuprofen, but not much. Dr. gives me two days off work, then I have two normal days off, four days total to recover. I get prescribed a muscle relaxer and 600mg dose ibuprofen.

The drugs seem to be working well. Fri. I only got headaches twice, and they only last for about five minuets, usually just before I was to take another dose of ibuprofen. Thurs into Fri. also had a bit better sleep, before I was only able to get about four hours. Last night was my first normal sleep since Mon. night. Everything appears to be healing, and right now I'm feeling 100x better than I did just two days ago.

I wondered why I got such a traumatic injury as I wasn't "working hard." I then looked at the P90X guide and noticed that in the set-program, the only bulk up muscles they do twice in a week are actually back muscles. I was repeating the exercises either twice or three times a week depending on the rotation. I now feel that I do too much of focused weight training after reviewing their guide. I should have only been doing these exercises once a week.

So for those who work out, my question is how long does one wait before they should start working back out? I definitely plan on following the guide and doing the DVDs only once per week. I have a job where I need to be in shape and have some above average strength and endurance, but I also can't be injured. With the likely myogenic or tension headaches I was having, I couldn't work any job. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    You can start working out right away. However, you must hold those exercises that result in aggravation of the area you described.

Most injured athletes do this regularly. I believe it helps the healing process to "exercise around the injury."

You have to be very careful when doing this. Healing time varies based on the nature of the injury. You could have just strained the muscle, caused micro-tears or actually tore a muscle. Healing time will range from 3-6 weeks (or more depending on the severity of the tear).

When you start exercising the involved area START SLOWLY. Build up gradually. The biggest mistake people make is adding more reps or exercise time EACH subsequent visit. Start exercising the area and keep the intensity the same for one week. Build up gradually. If pain comes back, drop down to the previous level and remain there a week more.

Use ICE after exercise. It's very therapeutic and can stave off post exercise injury/aggravation from swelling.

Good luck.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would ask the doctor that you visited. I experienced a shoulder injury that took a long time to heal. As a matter of fact, I stopped working out for years because of it. It wasn't that it took that long to heal, but I just got tired of aggravating it whenever I thought it was healed, only to mess it up again.

Top Bottom