• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is the wild, wild world of sports is going on here? I leave for a day and a half and it gets silly in here.

Indiana is an inform state

No, it is not. Who is telling you this?

Indiana is an inform state, meaning technically if asked you must show ID.

No, I do not.

The act of open carry itself is legal and not in itself a basis for officers to initiate contact to see if there is a violation. But if pressed an officer will find a different reason to start contact with you (usually through a traffic offense).

It is as if Pinner did not take place. Mr. Pinner was not driving his car in the movie theatre's lobby.

Are people on autopilot or something?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You know, it would be useful if this forum had a FAQ. Or, even some sort of thread that would appear right up top, and cover things like "What to do if a cop stops you", or "Open Carry". A place where these common topics could be addressed and myths dispelled. If only there was a way....

Now, where did I put those purple pixels?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Or just show him your ID?

I'm really not clear on how doing so is such a hindrance...

."

How is it a hindrance to follow the law?

An officer south of Chicago asked to search my car.
    I got the..
    It would be easier to comply
    If you have nothing to hide
    I can call for a dog
    I can get a warrant
    Why do you have to be difficult

And a few other statements.
    Probably would have been easier
    Having nothing to hide has nothing to do with exercising rights
    Yes, he could have called for a dog. But he had zero RAS or PC, he was just trying to browbeat me
    Yes, he could have gotten a warrant. And I would have complied with it.
    Why am I difficult? Ask my parents. Or, why was the officer being difficult?

Your rights are there to use. If you don't care to exercise them, we'll that's your right.
    But don't knock someone for using their's.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I love Cops. They have a job that I could not do. As long as an officer is doing his duty he gets my total respect, If he pulls me over for A violation I will be respectful and polite. If he tickets me I will sign it thank him ans suggest he have a good day. I have actually had officers seem to feel bad that they had to give me a ticket. One said so.

However It is not their job to accost me for no reason at all. I have and will be respectful and stand on my rights. I will not acquiesces to ignorance of the law.

I am a Citizen not a servant.

:yesway:

AMEN.
    And the TRUTH shall set you FREE.

Navyvet59

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Marion
    I CCW and occasionally my shirt uncovers it and I have heard adults and especially kids say hey he has a gun and the parents usually just shoosh them. I do understand privacy and not wanting to wait for a check but really as uncomfy as it is if you have nothing to hide then id just let them check. Now if they seem agitated and less professional Id make sure to get their info and report it but Id still just go with the flow and prevent any conflict because I can tell you they are not fun. Being a disabled vet and having served in 3 services they tend to be alittle jumpy sometimes its best just to keep any conflict at a minimum and show you mean no harm and not putting them in harms way. just my 2 cents

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You are a big meanie.

63310522.jpg.cf.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are all these "stop and checks" really happening? If so, I need to get out more. Been casual OC (JFC) for 10+ years, and I have not once been "stopped and checked". I HAVE talked to plenty of cops (and other random people), but no one really seems to care. Never been asked for my LTCH. Never been asked for my ID. Then again, I don't tend to commit crimes (intentionally, at least).

Heck, there is a large amount of time I am out in public w/o my LTCH and without any form of State-issued ID. And... I'm not worried one bit. IC is real clear on the process. Follow that, and we are all good. If not, well, I know a few good attorneys (and a few marginal ones).

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You are right. It used to happen some in NWI, but I have not had a problem in years. I like to think that the talk among the officers that tried it on me with their colleagues fostered some study.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to eldirector again.

Had I been as acquiescent as some here propose it would still be rampant.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Indiana is an inform state, meaning technically if asked you must show ID. Technically you can avoid this and the misdemeanor charge it carries if you fail to provide ID, but you have to be very specific in your wording when dealing with an officer...

Been in court all day. Too tired to respond...I assume others will.

Top Bottom