• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    BACKSTORY: Theres a gentleman in Illinois making me a VERY lucrative trade offer on a gun I have for sale. He claims that his FOID card and Utah CC license make it legal for a FTF trade in IN. Everything I know tells me this is illegal, and I'm going to insist that we transfer at an FFL.

My question is this: How many transfer fees need to be paid for a trade? One for each gun, or one per transaction?

Thanks INGO!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    BACKSTORY: Theres a gentleman in Illinois making me a VERY lucrative trade offer on a gun I have for sale. He claims that his FOID card and Utah CC license make it legal for a FTF trade in IN. Everything I know tells me this is illegal, and I'm going to insist that we transfer at an FFL.

You are correct.

My question is this: How many transfer fees need to be paid for a trade? One for each gun, or one per transaction?

Are both trade items long guns? A handgun transfer must occur at an FFL in the receiving party's resident state.
    If both items to be traded are handguns, FFLs in both states would have to be involved in the transfer process (requiring even more transfer fees and shipping).

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    As stated if their handguns then the best thing is to ship yours to his FFL and he needs to ship his to your FFL.

He pays his transfer when he receives your gun and you pay yours when you receive his gun.

A lot of trust going on in this transaction so proceed with caution. Seeing that the guns will go thru a FFL dealer i would feel a bit easier about it though.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A quick question about shipping to an out of state FFL:

How do I address the package? Do I just address it to the ffl, and put a note in the box telling them who the firearm goes to? Or do I put the name of the person that the firearm goes to with the ffl address?

Sorry to thread jack, but I need to ship a receiver, and was looking in the FAQ, and this was not addressed. Thanks.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

How do I address the package? Do I just address it to the ffl, and put a note in the box telling them who the firearm goes to? Or do I put the name of the person that the firearm goes to with the ffl address?

Sorry to thread jack, but I need to ship a receiver, and was looking in the FAQ, and this was not addressed. Thanks.
    Address it to the FFL holder. Include a detailed letter with who it's going to including his address and phone number as well as yours. You should have already contacted the FFL holder so he should be expecting it.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

contact the FFL you are shipping to as every FFL requires different things.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Doesn't an FFL have to do the shipping on this end too, not just the receiving?

Had a friend do this recently, and thats what he had to do...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    They're both rifles. I'm not sure how that affects procedure.

Go through an FFL.

I'm going to say each transfer would be a separate transaction.

I repeat.........
    Go through an FFL.
    No if's and's or but's.
    If he won't do it, tell the agent with the "very lucrative, almost too good to be true offer" bye bye.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Go through an FFL.

I repeat.........
    Go through an FFL.
    No if's and's or but's.
    If he won't do it, tell the agent with the "very lucrative, almost too good to be true offer" bye bye.

Agreed. If it's VERY lucrative, then you can afford the ffl fees.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Go through an FFL.

I repeat.........
    Go through an FFL.
    No if's and's or but's.

Agreed. If it's VERY lucrative, then you can afford the ffl fees.

Exactly. I'd love to make this deal happen, but not so bad that I'd be willing to break the law. I've got a feeling the moment I mention FFLs this guy is gonna dissapear. I'll keep y'all updated.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Am I doing this right? :D Thanks again INGO.

Hey XXXX,

I spent some time this morning researching legal precedent for an out-of-state transaction, and we need to transfer at an FFL to keep it legal. I've checked with multiple sources and they all conclude the same. If you still wish to go forward with the trade, I'd be happy to meet you at one of the several FFL dealers in/around Munster. I'll even pay for the transfers.

Thanks,

lowendgenerator

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Doesn't an FFL have to do the shipping on this end too, not just the receiving?

Had a friend do this recently, and thats what he had to do...

It isn't a BATFE requirement, but some receiving FFLs will require it. It is mostly a way to keep their ass out of a sling when the BATFE does their next inspection.

The receiving FFL needs to know who the gun came from and where it went. A FFL is easy to get that information from. An individual, not so much. Some individual sellers will forget to put a copy of their DL in with the gun, or they will flat out refuse to provide the receiving FFL with that info (:n00b:). To avoid the hassle and the stupidity that comes with trying to make $30 off a transfer, some FFLs will simply have a blanket policy like that just to cover the lowest common denominator, which can unfortunately be pretty low in the gun owning community.

Top Bottom