• KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you were to drive to Florida and then fly home...would you:

Buy an inexpensive but dependable pistol in case the airline loses it?

Or

Carry a normal EDC in your rotation and hope for the best?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If you were to drive to Florida and then fly home...would you:

Buy an inexpensive but dependable pistol in case the airline loses it?

Or

Carry a normal EDC in your rotation and hope for the best?
    Hhhhmmm, interesting question. I guess, "What's your EDC??" is the appropriate question. If it's a stock G19/S&W M&P/etc. carry it. If it's more high end? Maybe bring the G19 or M&P.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Hhhhmmm, interesting question. I guess, "What's your EDC??" is the appropriate question. If it's a stock G19/S&W M&P/etc. carry it. If it's more high end? Maybe bring the G19 or M&P.
    I'd trust the Glock or M&P over most "high end" stuff anyway. I see this question come up over and over on gun forums, and it always baffles me. If you have an EDC that you trust, regardless of cost, why would you switch it out for something else because you are going on a trip, other than for maybe concealment issues? Because the airline might lose it? Seems ridiculous to me. Cost is not a factor for any of my EDC pistols, because my life is worth infinitely more than any pistol.

My EDC that I know well and trust gets lost/stolen/confiscated, etc? I cuss and buy another one just like it. Cheap life insurance. I'm carrying it because I chose it as the best tool for the job for my purposes.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My EDC is an H&K P30 with the full Gray Guns package done at their facility so it isn't inexpensive as compared to my PSA Dagger with a Riton optic which I consider my least expensive pistol I own besides a .380 mouse gun or two which in my eyes are strictly back up pistols.
    In 2015, over 38,000 pistols were stolen in checked baggage. That number has skyrocketed since then. A simple Google search will verify my concerns.
    The ammo can be put in a simple reloading 50 rd boxes and put in the same checked baggage as the pistol. The trick I was told is to put your checked pistol in a separate locked container and have the unloaded firearm sticker on that container, not on the handle of your baggage that goes in the belly of the plane. I have no experience with this technique.
    I no longer have diplomatic pouches as when my uncle lost reelection as president in South Korea, I lost my i.d. and State Dept exempt status.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Your luggage containing a firearm is likely safer in the airline‘s hands than luggage without a firearm.

I’ve heard of people deliberately packing a firearm in with other valuable items to ensure the container handled with extra care.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I decided a while back that I wouldn't carry any firearm that I couldn't have two of.

Be it lost to baggage handlers or officer friendly, after actually having to use the pistol for self defense. It doesn't matter the reason. When your pistol is gone, you need another. Right now...

The carry pistol needs a duplicate, waiting at home. And even maybe another at the nearest gun store or the INGO classifieds WTB.

One is none...

:twocents:

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    So what are you doing with the ammunition you drove down there with? shipping that back also?
    You can fly with ammo as well as long as its in its original packaging. I believe you can also use the plastic cases but as for the general question I fly with my EDC probably 3 times a year for training when its to far to drive and so far haven't had any issues except the TSA being buttheads.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Your luggage containing a firearm is likely safer in the airline‘s hands than luggage without a firearm.

I’ve heard of people deliberately packing a firearm in with other valuable items to ensure the container handled with extra care.

As someone who worked for a three letter agency in charge of aviation security, this is pretty spot on. Three letter agencies hate it when other three letter agencies give them a hard time for overlapping authorities. Airport security and full air cargo do not enjoy having the ATF come over for an "audit" (in quotes because it's sometimes contentious if one acronym has authority to check on another acronym).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Could always ship it to yourself via common carrier. But you'd have to get to a hub. And they'll complain it's not going to a shop. But it's legal.
    Or contact an FFL and have them ship your gun to you.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    As someone who worked for a three letter agency in charge of aviation security, this is pretty spot on. Three letter agencies hate it when other three letter agencies give them a hard time for overlapping authorities. Airport security and full air cargo do not enjoy having the ATF come over for an "audit" (in quotes because it's sometimes contentious if one acronym has authority to check on another acronym).
    Makes sense. Id imagine the atf has to get involved when a firearm goes missing. Plus im sure there are cameras back there as well. I just wish the tsa wouldn't take my keys to gauck at my weapon everytime i fly.

Top Bottom