• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I noticed a loud squeal in my brakes and knew that pretty soon I was going to have to change them. It came on pretty suddenly and since my rear pads gave no warning when they went out I wanted to tackle the issue asap. I replaced my front pads only. The rotors were still good. I didn't go with the cheapest pads, either, but couldn't go with top of the line because no one had them in stock.

No prob with the replacement, but after a few minutes of driving I heard a squeal only when I didn't apply brake pressure. No biggie. This morning I heard it at slow speeds and when turning right, but it had dissipated considerably by the time I got to work.
    Same issue on the way home. But, at times it was nonexistent. More often than not, though, when I heard the squeal it was a short squeal, then silent, then squeal and the intervals sped up or slowed down based on my speed. I stop to get gas and now it's constant and louder. I also should mention I don't hear the squeal in reverse.

All in all I've put about 65 miles on the new pads. I used brake lube, and I would have changed the rotors just for good measure had the wife not limited my funds.

I've researched possible causes online but nothing seems to explain the pattern I'm experiencing. All the solutions deal with either replacing worn pads or dealing with squeal only when applying the brakes. My problem goes away when the brakes are applied. The only solution I saw that made sense was adding a shim but online neither AutoZone nor pep boys has them.

Any suggestions or ideas on what could be the issue?

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    The front pads were definitely shot, the backs aren't that old and should be good to go. I haven't verified the exact area of the sound, I'm hoping to get my wife to help with that tonight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Is it an actual squeal or just a little "wiff, wiff sound? When I do brakes I always "Seat them in". Run up to 50 or 60 and then stand on them, Repeat a couple of times. This burns the pads into the little imperfect wear pattern that the old rotors have gotten over the course of time.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It's entirely possible the surfaces of your rotors are glazed. That will result in squeaking. That will happen until the pads properly bed to the rotors, which is why when I've done my own brakes and not turned or replaced the rotors, I would at least get some brake cleaner and sand paper and sand on them a bit to clean them up.

If it's squeaking all the time when you're not even touching the brakes... Are you 100% sure you reinstalled everything correctly? Please make sure. Brakes are not something to be wrong on!

It could also be a wheel bearing squealing.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    It is a light squeal, but similar to the whiff sound you described. Itjust gets louder when i turn right. that's when it doesn't squeal constantly. It's a light squeal, not a really loud one, but it's embarrassing nonetheless.

I'm just ready for it to go away because I don't know if I can handle that sound until I can look at the brakes this weekend. At two hours per day commuting it'll be a long week.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    It's entirely possible the surfaces of your rotors are glazed. That will result in squeaking. That will happen until the pads properly bed to the rotors, which is why when I've done my own brakes and not turned or replaced the rotors, I would at least get some brake cleaner and sand paper and sand on them a bit to clean them up.

If it's squeaking all the time when you're not even touching the brakes... Are you 100% sure you reinstalled everything correctly? Please make sure. Brakes are not something to be wrong on!

It could also be a wheel bearing squealing.

I was careful with the install, and I've wondered about glazing. Fingers crossed it's not a bearing, but I do have close to 100k miles.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Jack it up and grab top and bottom of your wheel and try and wiggle it to see if there is any play in it. If so then you probably have a bearing going out.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Jack it up and grab top and bottom of your wheel and try and wiggle it to see if there is any play in it. If so then you probably have a bearing going out.

what he said.

Plus I would get your alignment checked out as well if its not a bearing. I doubt its the brakes if its more when you turn a certain direction, Unless one of your brake calipers is not opening up properly, causing it to drag the pad all the time.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I could guess from now till tomorrow and still get it wrong. But something you have to think about is that a squeak is a sound and sound is caused by vibration. My suggestion is to be sure everything is tight. Be sure the pads fit securely on the calipers. Be sure all clips, springs and doodads are functioning correctly and in their proper place.. It could be the rotor surface is funky causing the pads to vibrate. It could also be a backing plate rubbing the rotor. And lastly it could be the bearing. Just take your trouble shooting process one step at a time and be sure to think it through.

I wish you luck in finding your noise...

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    some pads squeak when used (ceramics). sounds to me like you have a sticking caliber. do you have a funny smell around the car after your drive to work? if you you just lost the pad to excessive wear and it (and the caliber/rotor) are done and need replaced asap.

losing brakes at highway speed is bad, very bad. like new underwear bad.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    OK just read this thread, what you did was "padslap" it, basically you have a flat surface (brake pad) and a grooved surface (brake rotor) they are going to squeak until the grooves are cut into the new pads, this is why I ALWAYS fit pads and rotors, no doubt you bought this from some crappy auto store, cheap pads are way too hard.
    I'm not sure when you live/work but if your in or around Greenwood come into the shop
    Autobahn Service Center (317) 888 0315 ask for Thomas (me) and I'll have a look at them for you. FYI.... NEVER EVER compromise on brakes.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I got a chance to verify where the sound was coming from. The wife was following me home from the gym so she circled my vehicle a few times and go figure, the sound appeared to be coming from the rear rather than the front. Later I confirmed it while having her drive through the neighborhood.

The good news is that the front brakes didn't make a peep. So, now it looks like I'll be spending Saturday morning checking and possibly working on the rear brakes. I figured they would be fine, they have only 23,000 miles on the pads but I guess I'll need to pull them and check. I didn't actually install them myself, it was snowing one day and the rear brakes just went kaput with no warning sound. I knew my front ones were nearly gone, though, and I have to admit that the initial squeal did get reduced, likely because now the front pads are good.

Thanks for all the input, and I'll keep in mind to check for the bearings as well as a potential frozen caliper. I know the Ridgelines tend to wear down the rear brake pads much faster than the fronts so fingers crossed that this is the only problem.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    If you turn the rotors or replace them, Instead of "Pad Slapping" them. The new pads will last a little longer. And just so you know. Pad Slapping is not a brake job. :twocents:

Good Luck. Form a former shop owner, currant Mobile Mechanic. Been Slinging wrenches since 1987.

Top Bottom