• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMPULSE.ACTIONS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There
    Any ideas as to when AT&T's contract will run out with Verizon? If they don't go nuts on the plans much in the same way AT&T has, I'd be inclined to stay with Verizon as they've typically taken fairly decent care of what little problems I've had with them.

My understanding is December of this year.

I am with Verizon right now and am due for my upgrade in February. They offered me the chance to upgrade early but I am holding out with Hopes that the Iphone does become available. I currently have a BB Curve and love most everything about it, especially the BB messenger, but the apps are endless on the Iphone and I don't like carrying my Touch and BB all the time. The only downside for me is the Iphone battery life vs. the BB.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you're patient you may get what you want and not have to bother with jail breaking an iPhone. Apple and Verizon have been in talks for awhile now. Folks often hear of some minor advantages to jail breaking the phones, what they don't often hear about is being left with a $500 brick. It happens.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If you're patient you may get what you want and not have to bother with jail breaking an iPhone. Apple and Verizon have been in talks for awhile now. Folks often hear of some minor advantages to jail breaking the phones, what they don't often hear about is being left with a $500 brick. It happens.

(lost my first typed out response so this is a condensed version)

1. Jailbreaking isn't the process to allow the phone to work on other carriers. Jailbreaking allows unofficial 3rd party apps to be ran on iPhone. To allow the phone to be used on a different network is called unlocking. Unlocked iphones can be used on any GSM network (read sim card - ATT/Tmo), but not on CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint, etc).

2. To understand the rumor about Verizon getting an iPhone you have to know a little more about the company. Vodafone is Verizons parent company. They are one of the largest GSM carriers in Europe. This is why there is rumors linking Verizon to the iPhone. Will verizon get an iphone? Possibly. Will it be as soon as ATT/Apple's contract is over? Probably not, Vodafone has one, but the Verizon iPhone is most likely a ways off.

3. Yes, Jailbreaking can brick you phone, but [no offense] you have to be really f'in dumb, and not be able to follow simple step by step instructions. Also, a hard brick (unfixable) is VERY unlikely, usually you will just have to go into a restore mode, and restore your phone to a default state.

D.Kupp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    I bought a new iPhone 3GS two months ago and it had version 3.1 software. No jailbraking available for it until about 2-3 weeks ago. I connected my phone to the laptop, started itunes, updated the software and carrier info through itunes automatically then ran "Blackra1n" and in one click it installed Cydia and was jailbroken. Cydia is akin to the appstore where you can browse and download programs.

I love the fact that I can now theme my iphone. That's what I loved about my old blackberry.

Blackberries don't stack up and I doubt too many other phones do either.

This IS a mini computer. I'm looking at mine now and along with the normal memory drain, I'm listening to internet radio via Pandora. There is 145MB of free physical memory. That's quite a bit methinks...

I got out of my Sprint contract ETF-free. Any time ANY carrier changes the terms of a contract even to add one penny to a plan that you may or may not be a part of, you can opt out. Yes, they say they reserve the right to change terms at any time but you agreed to the terms they set forth. This does not mean you have to cancel but it means you can "opt out" of the contract. I kept Sprint for another month after calling them and telling them I didn't like the changes and didn't agree. They noted in my account and then a month later I called to cancel with no ETF.

Constantly search "opt out XXXX" or "break contract XXXX" where XXXX is your carrier's name.

It's well worth it to save the $200 they usually charge.

Top Bottom