• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I got the book [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Now-Youre-Talking-First-License/dp/0872597970/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312853242&sr=8-1"]"Now You're Talking"[/ame] from the library. It's published by ARRL and claims to have everything I'll need to pass my first test. Is there anything else that I should be studying?

92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    You need to check the publication date and make sure it is for the current set of questions/answers. The FCC changes the questions every few years so you want to make sure you aren't studying for an obsolete test. Go to www.arrl.org for current and up to date info. Licensing, Education & Training tab, 3rd from the left.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    It has basics, but not current test questions. Are you going for the piece of paper to be a knowledgeable operator? There's a dozen good test websites, or there's test based w5yi test based (literally the test with an explanation of which is the right answer) books, or the ARRLs text book style study guides. I passed my Extra class test with flying colors using outdated books from both companies until I had a solid base in the theory. The Tech and General Classes I studied with the ARRL text books, then hammering the question pool for the week leading up to the test.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    The current FCC question and answer pool is available here at eHam.net. Another good study source is qrz.com here. Good luck in your endeavor and if you have any questions just ask.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    God forbid you actually READ the book and learn something about radio electronics. Why bother with learning when all you need to do is memorize a few questions. Welcome to the late great hobby of amateur radio.

Honestly, go ahead and read the book. The science doesn't change, and you will learn something about radio. The Technician test is mainly about FCC rules and regs anyway, and less about radio theory. You can pass it, lot's of kids under age 12 do all the time. Once you get that under your belt, immediately start studying for your General class license. The General exam is more about radio theory and operating practices than anything else, plus it covers several modes of operation.

Good luck in your studies, and I hope you have half as much fun with it as I do.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I would study for both tests at once. They overlap in coverage and you pay no more to take both. The paid site ham test online helped me learn the general material. Good luck.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I think Ham Test Online is a great site. When you sit for your Tech, you can take the next test if you pass the previous. I only studied for my Tech, but passed that and took my General and passed that, but missed a few too many on the Extra. The info is close between Tech and General and a little study will help you get through both.

I used Ham Test Online to pass the Extra class test. It helps you learn the questions and answers, but also learn the info. If I did it over again, I'd buy the full access, instead of studying as I did for the Tech.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Not meaning to thread jack, but is there a place in the Indy Area to purchase equipment? Any HAM operators clubs around Martinsville?
    I've been seriously considering getting a radio. My father in MO has a mobile unit and just got his license. It could be the only way we can communicate if we actually get a grid down situation, for whatever reason.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am sure there are clubs close by I will a local chime in on that.

Most equipment purchases are online. Ham radio outlet has been the best to me. I have purchased over 5 radios from them in the last year plus tons of accessories.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Not meaning to thread jack, but is there a place in the Indy Area to purchase equipment? Any HAM operators clubs around Martinsville?
    I've been seriously considering getting a radio. My father in MO has a mobile unit and just got his license. It could be the only way we can communicate if we actually get a grid down situation, for whatever reason.

Fry's Electronics sells some VHF/UHF gear, but other than that you need to hang out at hamfests and shop online. R&L Electronics used to have a Amateur Radio store on East Washington street but just didn't get enough business to make it worth their time.

Hams are notoriously cheap, and will buy off the web to save a buck instead of supporting local hamfests and local amateur gear stores.

Building your own gear is more fun than a all you can eat Chinese buffet.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I am sure there are clubs close by I will a local chime in on that.

Most equipment purchases are online. Ham radio outlet has been the best to me. I have purchased over 5 radios from them in the last year plus tons of accessories.

Fry's Electronics sells some VHF/UHF gear, but other than that you need to hang out at hamfests and shop online. R&L Electronics used to have a Amateur Radio store on East Washington street but just didn't get enough business to make it worth their time.

Hams are notoriously cheap, and will buy off the web to save a buck instead of supporting local hamfests and local amateur gear stores.

Building your own gear is more fun than a all you can eat Chinese buffet.

So, I suspect that doing some studying to get the license first would be a good way to learn what type of equipment I want to invest my rapidly diminishing in value dollars, correct?

Top Bottom