• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Wife has a battery powered back up power supply on her PC. It will at random times emit a short (maybe a second long) high pitched "beeeeep". This is something that has just started in the past month or so. Went to the FAQ on the manufacturers website and couldn't find an explanation.

This unit is at least 9 years old. What is the typical lifespan for the backup power supplies?? Should I just replace it??

If I replace it, what will $100 buy???

Edit- This unit will emit a beeeep if it has been discharging and has less than 20-25% charge remaining. But that is a constant beep. Not this random short beeping that is happening now.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Replace the battery in it. The UPS is most likely still fine...but 3 years is the replacement cycle on the batteries in most cases. Where I work we change UPS batteries annually if they need it or not.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Battery is failing to fully charge up, or it is just dying. At that age, if it's constantly plugged in, heat has taken it's toll. If you think you really need one, get a new one. Better to be safe than sorry.

ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Usually the beeping specifies a certain error. More than likely at that age the battery is going out. All of our UPS here at work use beeping and LED's to indicate what type of error/issue it has.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do you have a make/model for us?

As others have said, if the battery is weak, even a short switch to battery power will cause it to immediately reach the low battery warning.

I've also had mine beep at me for a brief overload condition.

The units can certainly last 9 years with no problems. I have several APC Back-UPS and Smart-UPS units running my computer and AV equipment and several are over the 10 year mark. Battery replacements keep them going just fine. I usually pick them up off ebay sans battery for a fraction of the new cost. That said, I just picked up two units in the last six months that came with batteries at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Ditto, what's already been said.

Lead Acid batteries only last so long, and that one's well past it's prime.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    If the battery is toast, it wouldn't hurt to purchase a new model. They are much more energy efficient now a days then older models.
    Stick with APC or Cyberpower.

Top Bottom