• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crazyboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    south side indianapolis
    To add to my collection of firearms I've been thinking about getting a Sig P229, and i was wondering how is it compared to my S&W MP's i have .40 and .45 and Glocks that i have. Any suggestion or comments would help and any general feelings for them. Thank you.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I can't give a fair comparison because I love Sigs and do not own an M&P. To be fair look at the Sig's record, it has been around much longer than the M&P. It is a hefty pistol and rather thick, so IWB carry can be a pain to some. Accuracy is incredible out of both my 229's as is reliabilty, I'll take a Sig over a Glock any day. You can't go wrong with a Classic Sig.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I own both, the M&P and the Sig p229. They are both great firearms but you ask and I can only say the Sig is a far better gun in almost every manner. I owned the M&P first, but when I picked up my Sig it just felt so much better in my hand. It has a better natural point of aim. To take them both apart and look at the constructions of both guns. Shoot them both. You try them both if you can and I feel you'll see that the Sig is a better overall firearm. Price differs between the two~~ well is it worth the extra. for me it was one that I just had to have. It's not my every day carry,I prefer my Nitehawg 45 acp. but there are both great handguns. If that helps--- probable not, so it's just my 2cents worth. Mike:yesway:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    It doesn't sound like you have any DA-SA pistols. That might be the biggest difference between a classic SIG and the pistols you already have (although SIG does make non-DA/SA pistols now, too).

The upside of the DA-SA pistol is that you have a nice, short, light single action trigger pull when you're in SA mode. The downsides are two: 1) your first shot from out of the holster will have a different trigger pull than subsequent shots, and this takes some getting used to 2) you have to get some practice time in to train yourself to ALWAYS use the decocker before holstering. These guns aren't meant to be carried around in SA (hammer cocked) mode.

Neither of those drawbacks apply, however, if this is intended a range/plinking gun that you don't plan to carry.

Just a couple more SIG thoughts:

For an inexpensive introduction to SIG world, you might want to pick up one of the surplus P6's that are on the market just now. There are some minor differences from regular SIGs, but nothing that would matter for a range/plinking gun.

I really like the 229 in 40 or 357 calibers, but if you're thinking 9mm you might be better off with a P 228. The 228 is basically the same gun as a 229, except it has the older style fabricated slide instead of a machined stainless slide. The stainless slide is necessary for the 40/357 chamberings, but not for 9mm. The original West German SIGs all had the fabricated slide and many SIG afficionados prefer them for their lightness and balance. Nothing wrong with the stainless slide models, but a 9mm P228 is a joy to shoot.

crazyboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    south side indianapolis
    Thank you for the help. I will be looking at a couple different models i am mainly looking for one in .40 and the only da-sa was a biretta 92fs and i did like it. I have a few guys who have a Sig I havn't tried it yet but i will be. I will also be using for both carry and target.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Sigs are the best handguns ever IMHO :D

Actually, I've never shot a 229. I've only had and shot 220s and 226s.

putting which is better aside, a Sig is a very nice handgun and you won't regret buying one.

Sport69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Portage, IN
    I have to agree with some of the other post in favor for sig, I carried a 229 with my prior department and it was a excellent weapon, I have shot a M&P and I must say that I was very surprised it had little recoil and great accuracy! It is a great gun as well but sig has been proven through time. Maybe once M&P gets more time in it may be more accepted. As of yet I do not know of any departments carrying the M&P. Now for street carry off duty I wouldn't have a problem at all packing a M&p!

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Sig is going to feel a lot different as it is _not_ a polymer framed gun like a glock or M&P. It's a heavier gun, for sure. I've owned all three and really enjoy my sigs. You mention a beretta 92 in another post, which is another favorite of mine. I have several 92s and love their trigger, ambi safety/decocker, and accuracy.

Are you looking for something to carry, home defense, or more for the range?

To add to my collection of firearms I've been thinking about getting a Sig P229, and i was wondering how is it compared to my S&W MP's i have .40 and .45 and Glocks that i have. Any suggestion or comments would help and any general feelings for them. Thank you.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    All great advice above.

Sig's are in a class of thier own. I love the all metal feel of a gun. Try to shoot a few and you'll know what you would like.

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I have two (2) P229's .40 two-tone & .40 equinox with with spare .357 barrel. The gun has a natural feel in my hands and is a very reliable weapon. The only downside is that the gun is pretty heavy.

WeaponList002.jpg

WeaponList034.jpg

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I have only handled a S&W M&P pistol, the subcompact in .40 S&W. Not really my cup of tea but it looked to be of much higher quality than the last S&W (Sigma) pistol I saw.

That being said, there are options you can do with Sigs. The black sheep of the Sig Sauer/Sigarms family is the sig pro lineup. They make the SP2022 in 9mm and the SP2340 in .40 S&W / .357SIG. I own a SP2340 that I initially purchased in .357SIG and I still love it to this day.

The only trouble was both finding ammo, then paying for it as .357SIG is an expensive proprietary caliber. Being dimensionally similar cartridges, I simply had to buy the .40 S&W barrel, and the mags are interchangeable. So now I can shoot .40 S&W at the range for much cheaper.

I for one will recommend the sig pro line as they can be had in excellent used condition for between $4-500 and new around $600. They don't have the super solid feel of the alloy framed sigs (220/232/228/229/226), but they are lighter and are comfortable for conceal carry. They're still great shooters and are built to the same exacting standards that make Sigs some of the very best firearms there are.

Whichever way you go, best of luck to you in your decision. Buy a Sig, buy once, cry once, have a blast at the range.

Top Bottom