• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    Hi all, I think this is the right place to post....

I have a large number of rifles that were given to me by my grandfather, some including guns he received from his father. He was more about using and abusing than look, so most of his rifles weren't taken care of the way I take care of mine.

That being said, I have several (7+) rifles/shotguns I would like to get reblued, or at least touched up. Which bluing is the best? Who is the best to go to? If it is any help, the rifles that would be the first to get reblued would be a Weatherby Mark V in .460 Weatherby and a Browning Safari in .458 Win Mag. The bluing has turned to rust at the muzzle on both of them.

Thanks for all of the help.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're at all interested in them retaining any collector's value, don't refinish them.

Not that you're interested in liquidating them right now, obviously...

Just curious, what are the firearms in question?

If there's anything that's even remotely "collectible", my vote is to leave it alone.

If there's a bunch of "Sears" type firearms, it may not matter much in the long run.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    These guns will never be sold, and will remain in the family, so the collector's value isn't really in issue.

For the long guns in question....

Weatherby Mark V .460 Weatherby Mag, Browning Safari .458 Win. Mag, Remington 760, two Reminton 742's, two Marlin 39A's, a Remington 241 (great grandfathers), and a Browning A-5. This is only a small part of the collection, spread throught my mother and her two brothers. My grandfather bought all of these before 1972 or so, all have been used and abused.

The .458 and .460 would be the first to get reblued. The others were listed in no particular order.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Indygunworks (here on INGO) does Hot Caustic Bluing. He is in Indy and I'm sure would give you a great price... especially if you gave him them all at once so he didn't have to turn the burners on multiple times or wait for other work to come in. Just shoot him a PM.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Those are some nice weapons. Do you want them to look as new or just cleaned up and presentable. A lot of older guns show character with a few dings here and there in my opinion. Makes ya wonder where they've been and what they've done. There are several products available to clean and touch up blue and wood but if you want them to look new let the pros do them for ya. IMO YMMV ;)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    I guess I want the .458 and .460 just touched up... the bluing on them is nice and dark, save for a few spots that were never taken care of years ago.... I've heard many stories of my grandfather and his friends, and the dumb things they would do when they went hunting in Canada, not surprising for them to have blemishes.

The Win. Model 12 on the other hand, needs a complete overhaul. I would like it to be restored to its former glory, but I'm afraid that it is too far gone...

Once I figure out how to post pictures (help?), I will post a few the pictures to give you an idea of what I am working with.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If they were mine.....and I know they are not.....I would leave them alone...some people look at all those as imperfections....I look at them as history and love!!!.....Giving a testimonial to their life and history!!.....Kind of like me.....when I die want to look like I have been rode hard and put away wet!!!....not all cleaned up and looking like I haven't lived.....just my two cents...

Top Bottom