• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So, I've got a concept in mind and I want to see what other people would think. Let's say you were thinking things were about to get tough where for whatever reason your beloved family was going to need a gun for food and a layer of home defense. The idea being that your family knows how to use guns as tools, but isn't the gun nutt of the family searching through internet survival forums like you likely are now. If they had a gun it'd probably have a half empty box of ammo "somewhere" and maybe two other whole boxes. What would you arm your family & loved ones with and why.

For me my mind immediately drifts away from AR's & AK's and I start thinking about a bolt action 308. Then I get questioning a bolt action because it'd likely need a scope and if you're handing these out then they're not likely to maintain the zero and keep that running so the bolt action goes out pretty quick. Then I start thinking about a simple shotgun, but that doesn't do much good when there's a deer 125 yards out and now is the time to take the shot. Then I start thinking about a lever action and that's got a solid ability throw lead fast, top off as you go and in the right caliber takes that same deer at 125 yards out if need be.

It's a mental war gaming exercise and I'm curious if you guys ever think through these scenarios and if so what do you think of the one above?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    9mm semi auto is option 1. Revolver in .357 mag if they are a complete novice. Either can be used for home defense or personal protection. Easy to carry and conceal. Can be handed off to a family member quickly.

I have a Taurus G2C I have lent out to people in the past.

If SHTF 99% of people aren't going to be out in the woods shooting deer trying to eat. They are going to be trying to keep people outside their home from getting in or out and about trying to travel somewhere safer.

Both types of ammo are plentiful and can be scavenged if needed. The revolver can shoot .357 or .38.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Option 1: 22LR Semi-auto rifle / carbine
    Option 2: 20 / 12 gauge pump with a rifled slug barrel with cantelevered scope mount (think Mossy combo)
    Option 3: 38 / 357 revolver
    Option 4: 38 / 357 Lever gun
    Option 5: Savage Model 24C 22LR / 20ga

Pair options 1 and 2, or 3 and 4 for a more complete and capable "arsenal". Option 5 provides the minimalist approach.

Now if were my children or family by marriage, I would probably work with them to step up to an AR15 and 9mm semi-auto plastic fantastic. Second option would be a 308 scoped combo bolt action like a Ruger American or Savage with either a 38 / 357 revolver or 9mm semi-auto.

If I am helping them spend there money, they get encouraged to buy up the capability / capacity ladder by purchasing used. I am more than willing to spend time with them to clean, learn the weapon and prepare themselves a bit. Versus pulling a new one out of a box and thinking they are magically capable of using it.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I hadn't really considered handguns for something like this because I think it's even more dangerous in the hands of a novice. It takes time to be a good shot with a handgun and while in some cases that'd probably be fine, but in other cases I see it as more of a liability. It's all just a mental exercise, and I should think more about that kind of thing.

I tend to think of guns in tiers and I definitely have guns that I'd call my "In-law" guns that I'll hand out to them in case they need one. Those guns tend not to be too expensive in my case. :)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I hadn't really considered handguns for something like this because I think it's even more dangerous in the hands of a novice. It takes time to be a good shot with a handgun and while in some cases that'd probably be fine, but in other cases I see it as more of a liability. It's all just a mental exercise, and I should think more about that kind of thing.

I tend to think of guns in tiers and I definitely have guns that I'd call my "In-law" guns that I'll hand out to them in case they need one. Those guns tend not to be too expensive in my case. :)
    Something like a Savage Hog Hunter might fill the need then, but I think just having that alone would be overkill for most things in a true SHTF.
    A shotgun in my opinion is a more versatile tool, especially with combo barrels.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Something to consider is that not everyone is right-handed. Our youngest isn't, so our "supplies" are mostly ambi. Bonus - also good if your right hand/arm is injured. Some are innately ambi - RDB, RFB, Calico, some shotguns, Ruger P-series pistols, etc. Some can be made ambi with only a little work (Glock Gen 5).

That being said, the youngest will be using a right-handed bolt for deer season. Most lefties are used to adapting to a right-handed world.

.308 bolt for "big game" at a distance and to turn cover into concealment

.22 including Ruger Marks, AR7, 10/22 breakdowns for small game

I used to say AKs and I would take the ARs off the dead guys, but now have some .556 in the mix, since they are easier for beginners to shoot than AK/.308 semi-autos.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    An 870 or 500 in 20 gauge is what I've recently recommended to some friends who are asking what they should have to keep bad guys out of their house when things get spicy.

A 12 gauge is a lot of gun for inexperienced, smaller framed people to handle and a 20 will still ruin someone's day. Tradeoff is it's hard to find shotshells and they're expensive, so practice can be a challenge. In my mind I counter that with the recoil from a 12 will limit their practice too.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Speaking for myself of course, I’m of the opinion that in a true SHTF situation I want the roving bands of unprepared sheep to stay as far away from me and mine as possible. To that end I suggest bolt rifles with true reach out there caliber chambering. ie: one of the modern sporting rifles used for things such as mule deer or speed goats. Or Mossins, or other mill spec. tools. Mill. spec. ammo. With a large supply of fodder laid in. The last thing I want is a bad guy or 12 close enough to me, that me and mine can be sprayed with poodle shooters.

I don’t live in an urban environment, don’t have that mind set. If have to use a hand gun or shot gun I need to rethink my plans. I’m guessing from your writing you don’t truly have a clue (no offense) of what others may or may not have.

Robust rifles in easy to acquire long range cal. And a clear field of fire. Fixed fortifications. Coms. Stores, Guts and mind set. 24 hr. watch. Mixed bag of skill sets. As much training as possible. Keep the ar’s, ak’s, side arms, shotgun’s but as secondary means of defense. As always JMO.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    We raised two girls so hand size, strength, minimizing recoil are all factors we considered in our selections.

Personal protection - we standardized on 22lr and 9mm handguns. This gives us considerable flexibility for our family with several quality choices in either caliber. Ammo is easy to find and come by.

Property Protection - our family is familiar with the basic operation of the AR platform and generally know how to make ready, load, charge, etc. A typical shotgun was just too heavy, bulky where the AR provides significant versatility.

Hunting - similar to above, we use a Marlin 22 for small game and a Ruger 77/44 (scoped) for larger game like deer. Neither gun has much recoil and are easy to operate.

Mike

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So, I've got a concept in mind and I want to see what other people would think. Let's say you were thinking things were about to get tough where for whatever reason your beloved family was going to need a gun for food and a layer of home defense. The idea being that your family knows how to use guns as tools, but isn't the gun nutt of the family searching through internet survival forums like you likely are now. If they had a gun it'd probably have a half empty box of ammo "somewhere" and maybe two other whole boxes. What would you arm your family & loved ones with and why.

For me my mind immediately drifts away from AR's & AK's and I start thinking about a bolt action 308. Then I get questioning a bolt action because it'd likely need a scope and if you're handing these out then they're not likely to maintain the zero and keep that running so the bolt action goes out pretty quick. Then I start thinking about a simple shotgun, but that doesn't do much good when there's a deer 125 yards out and now is the time to take the shot. Then I start thinking about a lever action and that's got a solid ability throw lead fast, top off as you go and in the right caliber takes that same deer at 125 yards out if need be.

It's a mental war gaming exercise and I'm curious if you guys ever think through these scenarios and if so what do you think of the one above?

This is Colt. He's standing guard while we install punji pits.

5F0BE5CF-9092-4A62-8F9D-70DE0519534F.jpeg

For food, it's generally AR and AK. When SHTF you can restock supplies and equipment relatively easily from thugs that no longer have use for them.

Good luck!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Saw the post yesterday about sharp sticks, took me back to a time l’d rather forget. Was also informed that no matter what you say on the web, someone will take you seriously. Booby traps are, well on the other side of our legal system as of today. Can’t say about tomorrow.

Cool photo by the way. :thumbsup:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Saw the post yesterday about sharp sticks, took me back to a time l’d rather forget. Was also informed that no matter what you say on the web, someone will take you seriously. Booby traps are, well on the other side of our legal system as of today. Can’t say about tomorrow.

Cool photo by the way. :thumbsup:

Yeah.
    That's why I don't post about my Hellfire missiles.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Something to consider is that not everyone is right-handed. Our youngest isn't, so our "supplies" are mostly ambi. Bonus - also good if your right hand/arm is injured. Some are innately ambi - RDB, RFB, Calico, some shotguns, Ruger P-series pistols, etc. Some can be made ambi with only a little work (Glock Gen 5).

That being said, the youngest will be using a right-handed bolt for deer season. Most lefties are used to adapting to a right-handed world.

.308 bolt for "big game" at a distance and to turn cover into concealment

.22 including Ruger Marks, AR7, 10/22 breakdowns for small game

I used to say AKs and I would take the ARs off the dead guys, but now have some .556 in the mix, since they are easier for beginners to shoot than AK/.308 semi-autos.
    Being left handed, your little one can manipulate your right handed firearms better than all you rightys can manipulate his lefty world. Ever try lefty scissors?

CWMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Jasper county
    Oh, I don't know. Probably something in .223, 9mm, .22LR and 12 gauge. Because of the ammo availability laying around after the insanity starts. Thanks for the question never really thought about it. Oh yeah, and some .50 cal. :lol2:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom