• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    have you looked into a 1-4? for what your talking it would really be a great option. The 1-4 would be cheaper, more versatle,

shoot me a email or pm if you have any specific questions. in my opinion there is nothing a 1x or 3x optic can do that a 1-4 optics cant do as well or better

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    have you looked into a 1-4? for what your talking it would really be a great option. The 1-4 would be cheaper, more versatle,

shoot me a email or pm if you have any specific questions. in my opinion there is nothing a 1x or 3x optic can do that a 1-4 optics cant do as well or better

yeah, I have you down to check out a Viper PST 1-4!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    yeah, I have you down to check out a Viper PST 1-4!

are you going to the 1500? ill be set up there, as you walk in to the show and look at the tables turn left. as you cross into the next room look down and right im in that wall. look for th big yellow banner that says A&A Optics, or a black bobcat steel banner

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    That's what Primary Arms did :D
    They can't keep them in stock.

To the OP

AimPoint

:twocents:

I've been watching and waiting for the PA one to actually come back into stock as I've got a few things I wouldn't mind putting an inexpensive optic on. For the AR, I went with an Aimpoint PRO. Thought the Eotech was nice too but I got a really good price on the PRO so I had to go for it.

Also if you have a stigmatism an Aimpoint will not be a good choice for you.

I would not agree with this. The Aimpoint PRO was much more clear for me than the Eotech. Talking to my eye doctor about what I wanted ended up getting the PRO's dot as close to perfect as contacts will take me. The Eotech cleared up a bit but still wasn't as clear as I'd like. I still may go with an Eotech in the future just to have one. The Primary Arms and Vortex are also on the list.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    With thaf budget, an Eotech or Aimpoint w/ magnifier should be doable. I can't tell you which I prefer, because I've had and loved both. ACOG would be a great choice too

If you are planning to run a magnifier, I would warn against the micro. The lens of the magnifier is larger than the lens on the micro, so its going to look kind of weird.

GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Perhaps I should clarify a bit. The intended use is for a rifle that will probably never be used beyond 100 yards. The plan is for an AR for shorter distance shots and a red dot for the fast acquisition, and the multiplier for if necessary to reach out more. Trying to get the best versatility. I stuck the 300 yards max in there so it wouldn't turn into a riflescope discussion. I have no appreciable experience with red dots on AR platform rifles mostly due to the fact that I saved up to buy a "good" optic instead of "wasting" money on a cheap one. Maybe 1-4x scope would be better.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    are you going to the 1500? ill be set up there, as you walk in to the show and look at the tables turn left. as you cross into the next room look down and right im in that wall. look for th big yellow banner that says A&A Optics, or a black bobcat steel banner

Unfortunately I am not going. Between parking and the entry fee, even if I do buy anything, I end up paying a premium. I have been several times and I don't find the savings. I can justify the Lafayette show since it's in my home town,$5.00 entry and free parking is okay even if I just look at stuff.:)

I will figure out a way to check some optics out. Then I will call you for final decision and ordering.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Unfortunately I am not going. Between parking and the entry fee, even if I do buy anything, I end up paying a premium. I have been several times and I don't find the savings. I can justify the Lafayette show since it's in my home town,$5.00 entry and free parking is okay even if I just look at stuff.:)

I will figure out a way to check some optics out. Then I will call you for final decision and ordering.

:yesway:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Perhaps I should clarify a bit. The intended use is for a rifle that will probably never be used beyond 100 yards. The plan is for an AR for shorter distance shots and a red dot for the fast acquisition, and the multiplier for if necessary to reach out more. Trying to get the best versatility. I stuck the 300 yards max in there so it wouldn't turn into a riflescope discussion. I have no appreciable experience with red dots on AR platform rifles mostly due to the fact that I saved up to buy a "good" optic instead of "wasting" money on a cheap one. Maybe 1-4x scope would be better.

i think the 1-4 is atleast worth a look. if your at the 1500 stop by my booth and ill have a ar with a 1-4 mounted on it so you can see for yourself what its like shooting both eyes open parallax free.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've been watching and waiting for the PA one to actually come back into stock as I've got a few things I wouldn't mind putting an inexpensive optic on. For the AR, I went with an Aimpoint PRO. Thought the Eotech was nice too but I got a really good price on the PRO so I had to go for it.

I would not agree with this. The Aimpoint PRO was much more clear for me than the Eotech. Talking to my eye doctor about what I wanted ended up getting the PRO's dot as close to perfect as contacts will take me. The Eotech cleared up a bit but still wasn't as clear as I'd like. I still may go with an Eotech in the future just to have one. The Primary Arms and Vortex are also on the list.

Depend on how bad ur eyes are, I have 3 friends that can not even look through an Aimpoint because of a stimatsm but Eotechs are fine. Just going off what they have told me.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    If you don't have it corrected with glasses or contacts (or surgery), you're going to get a pretty starburst or flowering. The Aimpoint was a triangle before getting my contacts updated. The Eotech was one big blur.

Well yeah, I thought he was implying that even with glasses or contacts a person wouldn't want an Aimpoint if they had astigmatism. :): If you have bad eyes, you're not going to see any sight correctly without glasses or contacts, but that's pretty obvious. And really I wouldn't suggest shooting at all if you have bad eyes and haven't been to an Optometrist to get glasses or contacts. Even at 100 yards, your target is going to be pretty darn blurry whether it's with an Aimpoint, EOtech, or even iron sights. Being able to make out your target is much more important than what type of sight you choose to put on your rifle.

IDK, I have slight astigmatism in both eyes. Never looked through an Aimpoint, but my Vortex SPARC is just fine as long as I'm wearing my glasses. :yesway:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I'm terribly astigmatic, and I see through my Aimpoint PRO just fine. Marine rifle training pretty much did the rest.
    IMO, both the Aimpoint and the Eotech are just fine.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    My vote is for the Aimpoint PRO. Can't beat it for the money and being right at $400 you'll still have enough left over for a LaRue QD mount. As far as being able to reach 300 yards, here are my results at 300.

20/10 vision
    Shot from a bench
    40 shots total

PSA upper and lower
    Cold hammer forged/chrome lined barrel
    Magpul ACS-L stock
    Standard PSA mil-spec trigger

55gr fmjbt
    26gr H335
    LC brass
    CCI SR Primers
    IMAG0265.jpg

Last edited:

CapMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm looking to FINALLY start improving my AR in the optics department. I want a quality red dot. Eotech, Aimpoint, Vortex, etc. I'm wondering what your opinions are for which you guys like. I'm looking to accurately shoot out to probably 300 meters max. (I have other artillery for longer ranges :)) Looking to use some sort of 3x magnifier on a flip away mount. Budget is not too much of any issue for the moment. Would like to stay under $800 but I understand quality does cost money. Just wanting sight to last a long time and be able to take a beating.

All opinions are welcome. Maybe this thread is all played out previously, but I was too lazy to look. :D

Ive used aimpiont, trijicon reflex and eotech and i personaly would go eotech but the other 2 are also really good, its really a personal preference and everyone is different so you really gotta think about what you want from a red dot

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    ok, maybe someone on here can help me. I have an EO Tech on my SCAR, runs on AA batteries. Easy, no problem. Surefire batteries for all my flashlights, easy to find, no problem. Have my Aimpoint, been looking 2 days around NWI in all the stores that I can think of and cannot find replacement batteries. Finally ordered online, but i would like to know for next time, where to find some. They were the CR 1/3N ones. Went to Cabala's, Blythe's, Jewelery store next to Blythe's in Griffith, Walgreens, Wal-mart, Best Buy, and a couple others too. Could not find ONE anywhere. So, i ordered them online. Anyone have a store they go to get theirs?

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It's all about price. If you've got the money for EOtech & Aimpoint, great. I have an EOTech i got off amazon for $350.

If your budget is lower, the Vortex StrikeFire & Bushnell TRS25 are good. I have both, Bushnell on an AK & the StrikeFire on an AR. Each one does their job well & has stood up to the tests. EOTech is still the fastest aquiring for me due to the viewing space but I believe that is simply a training issue & Im getting more used to the tube style red dots.

Top Bottom