• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Texas did this a couple legislatures (about 4 years) ago. Texas Cottage Foods Law 2013 FAQ: Selling Home Made Foods | Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance
    The first iteration of implementing regulations was about four times as long as the statute itself. :rolleyes: I think it got toned down some.
    Still seems like a lot of regulation for selling baked goods out of your kitchen, but moves the ball in the right direction.

Does Indiana have a "Cottage Food Law" or something similar. Or are its food laws so sensible there's no need for a Cottage Food Law. (I have my doubts on this).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Texas did this a couple legislatures (about 4 years) ago. Texas Cottage Foods Law 2013 FAQ: Selling Home Made Foods | Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance
    The first iteration of implementing regulations was about four times as long as the statute itself. :rolleyes: I think it got toned down some.
    Still seems like a lot of regulation for selling baked goods out of your kitchen, but moves the ball in the right direction.

Does Indiana have a "Cottage Food Law" or something similar. Or are its food laws so sensible there's no need for a Cottage Food Law. (I have my doubts on this).

I'm not aware of one, but that hardly means anything. I think the reason we don't need/have them (yet) is because we don't have overseers that feel like they need to control our lives to that level (yet). However, Marion Co. is well on its way. The City-County Council is hell-bent on passing an ordinance to control every aspect of our life....or make us behave according to their moral code. Witness the recent landlord ordinances that have come to the table.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, it depends on what you are making. Several in the food industry, e.g. bakers, got their rice bowl protected but remember for a long time fighting filth and disease was nearly all the State of Indiana did.

Don't forget baked good include eggs and flour all touched by human hands which all transmit a lot of disease.

Here's most of the Indiana food code: ISDH: Laws, Rules, and Regulations

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Health inspection is a joke. In high school I briefly worked for KFC. It was a greasy filthy mess. They would get 2 weeks notice before an inspection. Guess when everything got degreased?

As a cop I've been in the back of restaurants left open and the alarm went off. Some are clean and some have rotting veggies on the floor.

I ate plenty of Haji roadside chicken and kebabs and only got the screaming banshee poops once. I figure that's good odds with no inspection at all and a light coat of road dust.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I'm not aware of one, but that hardly means anything. I think the reason we don't need/have them (yet) is because we don't have overseers that feel like they need to control our lives to that level (yet).

Or maybe Hoosiers are just so compliant with their oversers it never occurred to them to kick about it, like Virginians and Texans. :D

But wait! Thanks to Mr. Freeman's links, I found that Indiana did in fact pass a similar law in 2009 (HEA 1309), colloquially referred to as the Home Based Vendor (HBV) act. Let freedom ring!

In some respects it is more restrictive than the Texas Cottage Food Law, in that HBVs can only sell their non-potentially hazardous food products in two types of locations: 1) farmer's markets, and 2) roadside stands. Texas cottage food producers can sell from the Producer’s home; Farmers’ market; Farm stand; Municipal fair, festival, or event; County fair, festival, or event; or Nonprofit fair, festival, or event.

Dunno about Virginia's locations, I guess that's TBD.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... Don't forget baked good include eggs and flour all touched by human hands which all transmit a lot of disease.

Germs are good for you. They build up your immunity. That which does not kill you makes you stronger. I read that someplace.

Also the "baked" part helps.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I ate plenty of Haji roadside chicken and kebabs and only got the screaming banshee poops once.

I never got any problems from the roadside shawarma vendors, but a Turkish military mess hall - an actual designated "kitchen" put me off "lamb" for a decade after a bout of nuclear-powered gut eruptions.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I ate plenty of Haji roadside chicken and kebabs and only got the screaming banshee poops once. I figure that's good odds with no inspection at all and a light coat of road dust.

A friend of mine spent a couple years doing business in China. Ate all sorts of funky stuff (a bunch of it basically raw), although he said he was a vegetarian, so that saved him from squid spleens and some stuff like that. Never had an issue.

Then, ate somewhere in Broad Ripple and got some E-choli type food poisoning and nearly died. Go figure.

Top Bottom