• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    You can’t spread out shelled corn or combined soy beans, can’t put out a salt or mineral block or. . . . . .

Yet you can plant a food plot of - corn, soybeans, turnips, biologic, clover, etc.

Will the DNR, if they find it, cite me for throwing pumpkins out on the ground around my stand. What actually is considered “baiting ?”

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You can’t spread out shelled corn or combined soy beans, can’t put out a salt or mineral block or. . . . . .

Yet you can plant a food plot of - corn, soybeans, turnips, biologic, clover, etc.

Will the DNR, if they find it, cite me for throwing pumpkins out on the ground around my stand. What actually is considered “baiting ?”
    only One way to really find out lol but I think you and I both know the answer.

Attachments

• 9260F3C0-DDA8-4F1D-B916-3E173007E527.png
      9260F3C0-DDA8-4F1D-B916-3E173007E527.png
      854.5 KB · Views: 20

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Multiple environmental sites are suggesting people throw old pumpkins out in the woods for the animals. People regularly do that in our local parks, even if we'd rather they didn't. You could tell the CO a local ecofreak dumped them there.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've baited in Michigan. Forget morning hunts if your bait is near your stand. More often than not the deer are already on it when you walk in.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've baited in Michigan. Forget morning hunts if your bait is near your stand. More often than not the deer are already on it when you walk in.
    We've baited forever where im from, what ive never done is harvest a deer while eating from a bait pile or next to a feeder.
    They tend to feed in the dark.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Hunters turn so quickly on each other. No wonder it is so easy to enact regulations and restrictions on us. Not dissimilar from gun owners. As long as it is a clean kill does it really matter if it is over bait ….? With a crossbow…? With cell trail cams? (Naming some controversial topics)

I mean one could argue the baiting allows for more deer to thrive (when it’s hard to find food) allows for a better shot, and also allows you to harvest more mature animals. And if you aren’t the one footing the bill for the corn or loading the hoppers then……

Let’s stick together and encourage. Like our poor hound hunters one of the oldest forms of hunting being regulated and restricted into extinction.

but I don’t hunt with hounds and I don’t like when rabbit hunters ruin MY deer hunt on public land.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Hunters turn so quickly on each other. No wonder it is so easy to enact regulations and restrictions on us. Not dissimilar from gun owners. As long as it is a clean kill does it really matter if it is over bait ….? With a crossbow…? With cell trail cams? (Naming some controversial topics)

I mean one could argue the baiting allows for more deer to thrive (when it’s hard to find food) allows for a better shot, and also allows you to harvest more mature animals. And if you aren’t the one footing the bill for the corn or loading the hoppers then……

Let’s stick together and encourage. Like our poor hound hunters one of the oldest forms of hunting being regulated and restricted into extinction.

but I don’t hunt with hounds and I don’t like when rabbit hunters ruin MY deer hunt on public land.
    Isn’t there concern that baiting spreads cwd? I haven’t hunted in a while but I remember that being a worry at one time.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Isn’t there concern that baiting spreads cwd? I haven’t hunted in a while but I remember that being a worry at one time.
    Yep, that is a negative I am simply saying there are also positives. And really if you hunt deer you know they all feed in the same general areas anyhow. Yes they are browsers but when they find a feed tree they are all flocking to it.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Ethical, shmethical. If you gotta eat and it gets you fed, well your feelings about ethics have no bearing. If you do it and the C.O. catches you, consequences are more concrete.
    I agree. Even in trophy hunting (still utilizing animal but not families main source of food) I think baiting has a case for targeting mature animals and bad genetics if trying to manage a herd.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne

Used to love the dogs on state land.
    They ran a lot of deer past me.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Is it ethical in States or County's where its legal?
    Don't know, I don't hunt, I don't have feelings one way or another about it. Simply stating a thought. I don't believe a lot of laws are based on ethics. Atleast not my personal ethics. Will op get cited..yes, if he gets caught and the dnr officer doesn't like op's story. Is it ethical, up to you.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Its interesting with whats called ethical,
    A pile or a feeder of corn is bad. But doe pee, bombs and other attractions are acceptable.
    Kinda my point. I have multiple partly used bottles of deer pee, doe in heat, rut, etc. Thats all legal. I can put out one or a hundred decoys. I can monitor deer movement and preferred pathways with trail cams.

Ive alway felt this subject of legal vs non legal is very suspect. Don’t spotlight them and shoot them at night, don’t use the wrong caliber of gun, must have minimum poundage of bow, . . . .

However, no hunter proficiency requirement.

Im not suggesting any or all of the above. Just saying there is a lot of latitudes on what is acceptable/legal and what is not.

Top Bottom