• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Got pulled over this morning. Bleh. A motorcycle was riding up on me really fast, so I sped up to move over. Of course, the officer only saw me, so ere I am with my shiny new ticket

I let him know I've got a gun on my right hip, since I need to reach for my license. He asks me to take it out by the handle, then unload it. Asks if there's one chambered, I say yes, he says empty it and sit the gun on the passenger seat, and "It better be there when I get back"

Officer G C Anslow. Wasn't mean, but also not overly friendly. Never been asked to unload completely, or at all, before. Most officers have just thanked me for telling them, then went on their way

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I won't inform if I get pulled over. The "officer safety" excuse is just that....AN EXCUSE.

On the plus side, at least he didn't totally disarm you and unload it himself.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I figure it's best to let them know... Every other time, the cop has thanked me and actually gave me a warning instead of a ticket. I guess this time was an exception. Isn't it better to not surprise them? I guess I should have had my license out before he got to the window...

MWCMT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    South
    Got pulled over Friday evening headed to atterbury range. 70 in 55. Did not inform him of weapons. Do not know if he noticed the AR magazines on the passenger seat. He checked my license and sent me on my way with a verbal.:)

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    he says empty it and sit the gun on the passenger seat, and "It better be there when I get back"

Officer G C Anslow.

Sounds to me like Officer G C Anslow should find another line of work. "It better be there when I get back" What kind of crap is that all about? Are we now required to submit to whatever intimidation that the police can dish out? This is the reason I will NEVER inform if I am pulled over. No reason to escalate the situation above getting a ticket/warning. And I agree that Officer safety is a :bull**** excuse. When did we ALL become suspects before citizens? The last time I read the Constitution we were innocent until proven guilty. Some of the officers on here please speak up about this. None of us should be looked at as suspects from the git-go, but that has been the shift for law enforcement. From stopping a citizen or responding to a citizen's call to stopping a suspect or responding to a suspects home. I realize that some LEO would call someone pulled over a suspect because they are "suspected of running a red light" or "suspected of speeding 45 in a 35" So could the citizen become the suspect just because they were caught speeding, technically yes, BUT we are not suspects PAST what the initial stop was for until there is reasonable suspicion or probable cause to believe another crime has been committed. How many LEO's on here have been told NO to a consensual search and not immediately thought the driver had something to hide and not just exerting his 4th Amendment rights?

Sorry to rant. IMHO, you have a below average interaction with Officer G C Anslow, who should have never even had to remove your firearm from its leather. I have tried to explain to my mother, who makes me disarm before I come into her home, that removing a pistol from it's leather is more dangerous than keeping the firearm in place. She doesnt care, and I guess it seems that LEO's are of the opinion that to make a handgun less safe is indicative of "officer safety"

INGunGuy

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I figure it's best to let them know... Every other time, the cop has thanked me and actually gave me a warning instead of a ticket. I guess this time was an exception. Isn't it better to not surprise them? I guess I should have had my license out before he got to the window...

If I deserve a ticket, then I deserve a ticket. I shouldn't be disarmed just because of a traffic violation. I am not going to inform him that I am excercising my rights just because I hope to get off with a warning.

:twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    To all the officers who are "just watching out for your safety", how do you feel knowing that these incidents where you humiliate people who are trying to treat you right by informing are causing more and more people to exercise their right to NEVER inform you.

I was once on the fence about informing. Now, I will NEVER inform.

What irony - rub a guy's nose in it who was purposefully polite to you, causing other people to remained armed in secrecy during contact with you. Stupid.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am always absolutely courteous and kind to all officers that pull me over, and like I said, they usually are as well. This one was just a bit awkward and excessive. I was made put to feel like a bad guy... And I'd done nothing wrong (other than speeding). Ah well, I wrote a nice letter to the ISP. Not expecting much out of it, but it doesn't hurt.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    First the video in this post should be watched again as a reminder to some of you.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...our_rights_what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html

Second a bit off topic but still on the OP's topic. OP why did you speed up in order to let the guy riding your butt pass you? Why not just slow down or stay at speed limit and then move to the right when you can.

I had this same type of incident this morning getting to the train station. Some butt head was just about on my bummer this morning as we were going North on cline ave (SR 912). I was going to speed up & move to the right but I was already doing 55 (speed limit) so I figured forget it nobody behind me is worth a ticket and besides is s/he hits me it will be his/her fault. So I stayed on the left until I was able to get to the right. The car behind me speed up as soon as I was over and honked the horn. Guess they were pissed having to wait.

I lost the car as it speed away but as I got past 80/94 (overpass) guess what I saw? Yup! Said car on the side of the road with flashing blue lights right behind him. The car got pulled over for guess what? SPEEDING! :)

Moral of the story at least for me is that since I've had my LTCH I just don't speed anymore. Don't care who the heck is behind me, riding my butt. I'm not going to do anything that will casue me to have to intereact with the boys in blue. Just not worth it.

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

INGO Open Carry Cigar Night is on 19 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...en_carry_cigar_night_aug_19_schererville.html

The next MEET & EAT is on 28 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 OR 19 SEP 10 (go vote!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...590-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    If you informed him that you had the weapon, then what is the chance that you would use that same weapon to fire upon that officer after you let him know that it is there? Sound silly.
    I would be more suspicious of the person who didn't tell me that they were armed and I noticed their weapon when they were reaching for their wallet.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I sped up to get around the line of cars on my right. There was no good way to get over at that moment.

Heh, last week, I merged from the left lane to the middle lane to get around some lady doing 45 (on her cell). Middle looked clear, then I merge, barely missing a cop that flew up the middle. He turned lights on, I sped up to get around lady and away from him, and he turned lights off. I thought he was going to pull me over :P

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I sped up to get around the line of cars on my right. There was no good way to get over at that moment.

Heh, last week, I merged from the left lane to the middle lane to get around some lady doing 45 (on her cell). Middle looked clear, then I merge, barely missing a cop that flew up the middle. He turned lights on, I sped up to get around lady and away from him, and he turned lights off. I thought he was going to pull me over :P

& thus why I try to do as little driving as possible and would rather just be a passanger in someone's car. It's not that the LEOs are out to get you. Well perhaps becuase they need the tickets to get more revenue.

Case in point The Chicago Sun Times has a front page article that the City of Chicago wrote a memo to the CPD about how the CPD is not writing enough tickets and thus revenue is down. :rolleyes:
    City to cops: You're not writing enough tickets :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: City Hall

They aren't going to pay your ticket. THEY CAN WAIT.

^- QFT

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    a lot of cops need to work on their personal skills. no suprise there. A lot of it sadly is'nt even their fault. A lot of their trainers treat and train them like they are in boot camp. a lot are taught command presence rather than how to be nice. sure theres a ton of nice cops out there who can flip the switch if needed and I have mad respect for those kind of cops. sounds like this guy maybe should have just said, PLEASE dont remove the weapon from your holster until after the stop. sure its common sense, but those guys do deal with a lot of idiots!!! and just because someone has their LTCH does'nt mean they are'nt a complete dummy, Just read INGO for proof.

I think its important to call and praise the officers who are friendly and respectfull!!!! I had a cop give me a ticket (years ago, and I was completely at fault for speeding) but he was friendly and respectful and cared about my safety, and I called his chief and praised him for a job well done, AFTER I HAD PAID THE TICKET!!! I was'nt looking for any favors.

I think I would deffinately call and complain about an officer who made me unholster my weapon and unload it in my car and pose more of a risk to him and me than if it would have remained in the holster. If we all stop complying with these rediculous commands and start complaining everytime it happens instead of saying oh well, then I think things will eventualy change.

you have to remember a lot of these guys are doing what they have been told to do, or maybe even on the fly because they have never been trained what to do when encountering a legaly armed citizen.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Two things:

1. One bad apple spoils the bunch. Just because you have one officer having a bad day, doesn't mean they are all bad. I'm positive there are good ones out there...I've worked with them. Not trying to stick up for LEO's, because I've had run in's with the bad ones myself. However, I try to put myself in their shoes. They don't know you from Adam. Yes the officer could've put it in a better way than the way he did. However, if I'm not mistaken they are taught to be firm and direct, so that there isn't any confusion.

2. There are three sides to every story: yours, his, and the truth. Maybe something struck a nerve with the officer for him to take things to the next level. Maybe that's how he is with everyone. Who knows.

No you aren't required to advise the officer of a firearm, but I think it's a nice gesture. More often than not they will thank you for it. It's not the ones they see that bother them. It's the ones they can't. When I get pulled over I keep my hands on the steering wheel and keep them there until we are both clear I am armed.

Just my opinion. Sorry to hear you got the ticket...but just remember, you have a brake too ;-)

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    What would have been the legal consequences of saying something like "No, it's safest in my holster"?

It's required that you comply with an officer's orders.

I will never inform an officer that I am armed if I am pulled over. If you are pulled over in Porter County by a County officer, you need to NOT inform them. They have a standard operating procedure that would make your blood BOIL if they exercised it. :twocents:

Top Bottom