• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    Anybody try running rifle drills with a Romanian PSL? I am interested the size and weight dosnt bother me im a large guy. Mags are my issue currently i only have 2 i feel 5 total (50 rounds) is what would be needed to effectively run this little guy in a class. The option of both iron or optic i feel can help, or even replace the optic with a reddot. Anybody have a recommendations on some solo drills i can run? If i were do sign up for a training class for pistol and rifle think i can use it with my CZ97? I'm finding myself loving this more and more the more i take it out to the range over my AK.

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    So many views and no advice. Ill be the first. Soon as its done being stained and reassembled im going to hit Hillside Range and run some self drills and ill update then.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I love Skunks, so I'll help out. :D

PSL is more of a DMR rather than an assaulter style weapon if I'm not mistaken.

DMR rifles shine when interacting with targets further than "comfortable" distances with standard issued arms, likely 200m for M16s and AK47/74s. Would look into longer distance shooting, working on prone and off hand shooting at man-sized targets at 300-500m. DMRs are for making what would be "area target" distance for standard issue arms into "point target" distance.

They aren't precision rifles, are cumbersome for urban sniping and definitely too long for any close range, in building work, and have too low of an ammo capacity for any sustained supression activity for assaulting. Because it's a .30 caliber weapon doesn't make it an anti-material rifle without using the proper ammo (which we may not have access to...). These roles are taken over by assaulters with suitable carbines while under supressive and destructive cover of an LMG/medium MG.

How do we translate this into civilian thinking? DMRs available or made by civilians are excellent hunting rigs and could be pressed easily into a DMR role in an emergency, but they still suffer the issues above (a bit long for short range, QCB work, and in your case, low ammo capacity for multiple attackers, cannot sustain any supressive fire). They are a great distance multiplier, especially if you live in rural northern Indiana with long stretches, flat lands and minimal cover.

Gabe Suarez has an urban sniper concept that you should look into. Your PSL is a bit long and maybe not precise enough for the work that they propose, but then again, a semi-auto 7.62 weapon still has a reach and penetration at range that 5.56 can't do (and 7.62x39's rainbow trajectory doesn't allow to hit easily at longer ranges for the average goon). He proposes that a hi-capacity 9mm handgun be used as a PDW (Glock 17 with 33 round mags), with your rifle being a primary (but not an assault rifle situation, but a sniping one). Your CZ97 isn't necessarily a hi-capacity weapon and there aren't alot of 20-30 round magazine options for it. It would be an effective handgun, but not a PDW style weapon that is compact AND gives you SMG mag capacity in areas where your PSL is too long.

I hate to be "that guy" but your envisioned kit is great for hunting and possibly sniping, but not for anything more than shoot at a target at 500-600 yards and scoot. Trying to keep pace in a class with that weapon will be problematic. Look into working on reloading drills specific for AKs (using the fresh mag to bump out the old one, reach under and cycle). If you insist on using the PSL as a primary as an assault weapon, look into working on a reloading skill set as your mag cap will keep you fishing for mags. You're going to spend more time reloading than shooting.

Look into researching and practicing field craft. Your PSL is useless if you're highly visible in the field and can't move effectively. Learn distance shooting, but understand your weapon is minute of man, not a precision rifle.

Don't get me wrong: Lots of guys have been felled with PSLs I am sure in foreign theatres, but they are sniping or DMR/Countersniper rifles, not assault guns.

Top Bottom