• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Over the past few weeks on this forum and others I haunt, I have seem people wanting to trade or purchase an M1 , 03, or 03A3, sometimes offering up a premium rifle in trade and all the deals fall thru when the party wanting the rifle find out the rifle is a mix master.

They want an all original rifle. Not a MIX MASTER, or a rifle assembled from parts.

When the US Military did and arsenal rebuild, rifles were stripped down, all alike parts where tossed in bins, when it is time to reassemble the rifle, first part the gauges good goes in the rifle. The CMP does the same thing. If you are lucky you will find a "correct" date code on the barrel of a particular receiver, such as a SC-43 barrel on a Smith Corona 03A3.

This is simple a PSA so no one gets there feelings hurt and can properly value a rifle

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Another simple PSA. If they have been identified by the CMP as all original/non-mixmasters which does happen from time to time. The CMP has a auction section on their site where these weapons are identified and like GunBroker they go to the highest bidder.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Another simple PSA. If they have been identified by the CMP as all original/non-mixmasters which does happen from time to time. The CMP has a auction section on their site where these weapons are identified and like GunBroker they go to the highest bidder.
    Thank you, I forgot that......some of those rifles go for a PREMIUM......heck I have seen a correct Era bayonet gor for the cost of a rifle

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I can understand the desire for an all original rifle, but I never got the guys who would search out the last screw and spring to take a rifle that was ‘as arsenaled’ and return it to ‘as manufactured‘. To me, it’s more original and correct having all the mixed up parts. I’ve even seen in country depot pictures with barrels full or parts where rifles were stripped down after being picked up on battlefields, etc, parts dumped in diesel to clean them and the armorers would just grab a part from the barrel And put the rifle back together for reissue. To me, that’s part of the rifles history. Putting all Winchester or Harvester or whatever parts back on it doesn’t make it original. It’s only ‘new’ once. But, to each his own…

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I can understand the desire for an all original rifle, but I never got the guys who would search out the last screw and spring to take a rifle that was ‘as arsenaled’ and return it to ‘as manufactured‘. To me, it’s more original and correct having all the mixed up parts. I’ve even seen in country depot pictures with barrels full or parts where rifles were stripped down after being picked up on battlefields, etc, parts dumped in diesel to clean them and the armorers would just grab a part from the barrel And put the rifle back together for reissue. To me, that’s part of the rifles history. Putting all Winchester or Harvester or whatever parts back on it doesn’t make it original. It’s only ‘new’ once. But, to each his own…
    Well said. Why I even like the sporterized 03s or enfields. To me its a story of a guy who was familiar with that rifle from the military and wanted to have it for hunting

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is an interesting point I hadn't considered before. Even if a rifle is "correct" it's still (more than likely) going to be a mix-master....just that somebody really, really spent a lot of time going through the effort to pick out the right part for the reassembly.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’m a car guy as well as a gun guy and it’s funny how opposite the feelings are in those two hobbies.

Take a $2000 SAA from the 1870’s, send it to Turnbull and spend $5000 on a restoration and you have a $2-3000 gun; maybe.

Buy a ragged $2000 1965 mustang, spend $30,000 on a restoration and you have a $50,000 car.

Gun guys want to history preserved. Car guys (mostly) want pretty, shiny, like new cars.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Beyond some historically significant M1s, and rarities such as the as delivered returns from Greece I would not consider any Garand as "correct".

At least through the CMP those handful of as delivered rifles in the Greek returns were pulled out and auctioned I believe.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It also raises the question, if you re-correct a rifle, is it correct, a mix master, or somewhere in between?

I've heard some arsenal rebuilds are also sought after.
    This is true, the OG and the Letterkenny rebuilds are much sought after. The OG, Ogden, Utah was the main rebuild and even if a brand new still in the wrapper rifle showed up it got an OG stamp. I have seen several "correct" '03's and '03A3's with the OG stamp on the stock. This tends to draw admirers as some people assume them to be mix masters but turn out to be correct.

The Letterkenny's are mix master but it was a narrow time slot these were done and to very high standards. Some are willing to pay extra to see that painted triangle on the gun.

I have scored a correct grade SA here on INGO, one from a friend and an original IH, among others, and I love them all. Only one gets shot though, it is a WWII mix master (probably a Danish return) that I had rebarreled just for shooting purposes. The others just get a luxury spa treatment every few months or so...

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Beyond some historically significant M1s, and rarities such as the as delivered returns from Greece I would not consider any Garand as "correct".

At least through the CMP those handful of as delivered rifles in the Greek returns were pulled out and auctioned I believe.
    CMP does have a "Correct Grade" marking category that can be anything from a "Collectors Grade" with a blemish to a "Rack Grade" that has the right parts. The uniqueness of having a military weapon that traversed 3 wars and still be in the original configuration boggles the mind of most but the truth is it would have had to miss the show to still be as it is. There are more "forced" corrects than there are real corrects. The irony is that the cost to obtain the parts, now, to force a correct will out distance the reals.

I am of the belief the war horses that were in the show have more charisma that the pretty boy who stayed home but in the end, I will buy both, but I will not try to force them correct. The way they are now is all part of their story...

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will look for the video (I think it was a big picture video).

The workers were speed stripping Garands and tossing the parts into bins indiscriminately.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I will look for the video (I think it was a big picture video).

The workers were speed stripping Garands and tossing the parts into bins indiscriminately.
    I believe that was post D-Day.

The thought occurred to me that each rifle belonged to a man.

There were a lot of them.

Top Bottom