• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Great suggestions.

However, the weak point of a door is generally the wood framing that the deadbolt engages. Have you re-inforced that?

Second point. Replace the factory-provided 1/2 inch screws with 3" deck screws. Doesn't take much force to rip those piddly screws right outta the wood. Every kicked in door I've had/seen (in the rental business) has failed there.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Great suggestions.

However, the weak point of a door is generally the wood framing that the deadbolt engages. Have you re-inforced that?

Second point. Replace the factory-provided 1/2 inch screws with 3" deck screws. Doesn't take much force to rip those piddly screws right outta the wood. Every kicked in door I've had/seen (in the rental business) has failed there.

Good point!!

That is why my garage door and the back door of my house open out. Ever try to kick in a door that opens out? Ain't happening.

Also if you are slightly handy there are several kits that install behind the trim and door frame to strengthen the lock side of the door also. I made a 1/4 plate steel piece that runs from the whole height of the door and the deadbolt locks into it. They are also offered commercially if your not as handy as I am.

Laminate on the windows is also a good idea, you can also find it with UV blocking so it also saves on energy usage.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Upon the suggestion of people on this board, I purchased a door club. You can google it. It secures the door at the base by dropping a pin into the subfloor. Also comes with longer screws to secure the hinges. The frame of a door is weak and a deadbolt would not hold if kicked. My 6 year old can unlock the door to get out unlike a deadbolt. You can even partially open the door to converse with someone on the outside. Easy to install and somebody would have to break the whole door down to get in.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I have been playing around with lock picking and it is surprising how easy it is to pick or bump most locks. Buy high end locks. If someone picks your lock there in no noise. A picked lock can also can kill your insurance claim because there is no sign of forced entry.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    How many "I agree" posts are you giong to type?

Upon the suggestion of people on this board, I purchased a door club. You can google it. It secures the door at the base by dropping a pin into the subfloor. Also comes with longer screws to secure the hinges. The frame of a door is weak and a deadbolt would not hold if kicked. My 6 year old can unlock the door to get out unlike a deadbolt. You can even partially open the door to converse with someone on the outside. Easy to install and somebody would have to break the whole door down to get in.

I plan on purchasing 2 of these for the main purpose of opening the door for the 3 inches.

My doors are metal framed and are secured with 3 inches screws all around, I also always keep the screen door locked and never have the screen in but have heavy duty glass sound proof panels in for extra security.

Top Bottom