Pros/cons of certain shotgun modifications.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hank93

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Does any one have experience porting, back-boring, or forcing cone honing shotguns? I'm thinking of doing some of these modifications to an 870 express with a cut down vent rib barrel.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Yep! I ported several of my shotguns when I was working in a tool and die shop that had a sinker EDM machine. Was doing a lot of trap shooting and sporting clays back then and liked the results. I've back bored a couple, too. Works well when you chop a 28" fixed choke barrel down for bird hunting and only wish to get back to an improved cylinder or thereabouts. Softening the forcing cone will turn a brutal kicker into a far gentler beast. I didn't see that one coming but my first one was on a 10ga H&R single barrel for one of my coworkers. No, it didn't suddenly kick like a 20ga A5 Browning, but it stopped knocking his fillings loose and he managed to hold still and take several turkeys with it.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Yep! I ported several of my shotguns when I was working in a tool and die shop that had a sinker EDM machine. Was doing a lot of trap shooting and sporting clays back then and liked the results. I've back bored a couple, too. Works well when you chop a 28" fixed choke barrel down for bird hunting and only wish to get back to an improved cylinder or thereabouts. Softening the forcing cone will turn a brutal kicker into a far gentler beast. I didn't see that one coming but my first one was on a 10ga H&R single barrel for one of my coworkers. No, it didn't suddenly kick like a 20ga A5 Browning, but it stopped knocking his fillings loose and he managed to hold still and take several turkeys with it.

Kind of a side point, but a fixed choke barrel is the best cut down choice on a Remington, especially a newer Remington as their interchangeable choke barrels can be unevenly bored. That being said, the forcing cone will take care of a lot of things. It not only eases recoil, it helps with shot deformation which will keep your patterns tighter increasing your range. Couple that with handloads and watch that shooter come alive.

Top Bottom