Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Read it and weep

Summary of Proposed Deer Rule Changes

Definitions

Moves the definition of crossbow to the definitions section, instead of defining it in 312 IAC 9-3-3

Adds a definition of ground blind

General Requirements and Licenses

Adds the new nonresident youth deer license types

Adds license requirements for the new special antlerless seasons

Requires hunter orange for youth hunters during the youth special deer season and during the new antlerless only seasons; hunter orange is already required for all deer hunters during the firearms and muzzleloader seasons

Requires at least 144 square inches of hunter orange material on a ground blind used while deer hunting during a season when a hunter is already required to wear hunter orange

Requires the owner’s name and address on ground blinds used on department properties

Hunting Equipment

Allows a crossbow to be used by hunters who are at least 64 years old during the early archery season
    Allows a crossbow to be used during the deer firearms and muzzleloader seasons by hunters of any age
    Allows a hunter of any age to use a crossbow in an urban deer zone during the urban deer season.

Allows a rifle cartridge to have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches instead of 1.625 inches

Seasons and Bag Limits

Allows youth hunters to take the number of antlerless deer allowed in each county during the special youth deer season (in addition to one antlered deer)

Extends the urban deer season through January 31 of the following year

Requires hunters to take at least one antlerless deer prior to taking an antlered deer in the urban deer season

Expands the urban deer zones in Lake and Porter counties to all of those counties

Changes the deer firearms season to start on the first Saturday before Thanksgiving and continue for only 8 additional days :xmad:

Shortens the deer muzzleloader season to only 9 days
    :xmad:

Adds an antlerless deer only firearms season in October (2 days only) in counties with an antlerless quota of 4 or more. The hunter may take the number of antlerless deer in each county allowed under the bonus county quota.

Adds another antlerless deer-only firearms season from December 25 through January 1 of the following year. The hunter may take the number of antlerless deer in each county allowed under the bonus county quota.

Military Reserves and National Wildlife Refuges

Opens the firearms season on designated military reserves and national wildlife refuges on October 1 instead of November 1

Adds the new nonresident youth deer hunting license types

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Great. Now gun season will be after the major part of the rut. I will finally be forced to just bow hunt the rut instead of thinking about it and bailing to grab my muzzleloader. Oh well. The insurance companies run this state dnr and set the regs. That's just an opinion of course.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Read it and weep

Changes the deer firearms season to start on the first Saturday before Thanksgiving and continue for only 8 additional days :xmad:

Shortens the deer muzzleloader season to only 9 days
    :xmad:

:evilangel::evilangel:Sorry, big bowhunter here. . . Hopefully the orange army won't take to the woods in droves during October for their antlerless deer. Oh, wait. Most of the douchebags I've met have been after bucks only, maybe only the responsible ones will head out. . .

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    If this goes through, the bowbending antler worshipers will whine until there is no gun season what so ever, then the deer/vehicle accidents will get so high that the legislature will take over the management of our big game herd. Then who is going to be the loser, when the term "nuisance animal" is brought forth?

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I can find reason in most of the proposed changes except shortening the firearms and muzzleoading season. Can anyone explain the reasoning to this? That would really stink. For a lot of people its hard to balance family holiday time and hunting and this will make it worse. I know where my pryoriy is but just sayin.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    If this goes through, the bowbending antler worshipers will whine until there is no gun season what so ever, then the deer/vehicle accidents will get so high that the legislature will take over the management of our big game herd. Then who is going to be the loser, when the term "nuisance animal" is brought forth?

I'd love to agree with you, but where I live and hunt, the firearms season is HIGHLY dangerous due to the gomers out in full force shooting at "movement" and running deer.

I do hunt with a handgun, so I'm not only a "bowbender."

Not saying everyone is in this group I speak of, but MANY are.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Since I don't hunt every day of firearm season, and I mainly hunt for food first, I don't have any major problems with this. Second, Don't worry about your vacation time, as these regs will probably not be able to be put in until 2011 if approved.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    All I have to say is they better revamp the license structure along with this because I'm not buying all these tags for such short seasons. As for moving the seasons as has been proposed - there is a group of people out there who have their own agenda. (We'll see what the next excuse is after this when they still don't kill their record bucks) I may well not deer hunt IN any longer - KY has always been good to me & I may just concentrate my efforts there. I'll just have to see how it all plays out.:dunno:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I hope the deer are moving better for me during bow season. Last year I didn't see many deer at all and very few early on it was so hot. As it gets closer to the Holidays my time to hunt decreases due to family obligations.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As a non-hunter...

And as a "shooter"...

But having the max case length increased is a big plus, ain't it??? Right??

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I'd love to agree with you, but where I live and hunt, the firearms season is HIGHLY dangerous due to the gomers out in full force shooting at "movement" and running deer.

Total agreement - I hunt with a muzzleloader all of the time during firearms season and I too am a "BOWBENDER" -- A stick bowbender at that.

Too often while hunting firearms season, I hear rapid fire from some goof that needs to spray lead at a deer and hope that he hits it. Those that need more than one shot should go to the range more often - If the regs do pass, those goofs will have that chance. :yesway:

One shot - One kill!!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

So because some fudds don't know how to hunt responsibly all of us firearm hunters should be punished?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Originally Posted by Cam

So because some fudds don't know how to hunt responsibly all of us firearm hunters should be punished?

Kind of ironic, isn't it, since that's the exact same logic used by some to oppose the 2A and RKBA.

Top Bottom