Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We got our reassessment earlier this year (Boone County) and I was pissed until I pulled comps. I didn't file an appeal because it didn't go up as much as it could have. They're still putting the house at about 70% of sale price around us right now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah the old raise the assessments crap is getting old. They are using it to defeat the spirit of the 1% property tax cap.

Daniels did have it fixed... until they figured out a way around it.
    This is just ridiculous. Who is “they”? When did “they” have the meeting to make people pay more for homes and or property on which your assessment is based on?

The truth is the US is in a housing shortage, that will happen when 60 million illegals are brought over twenty years. Then add in the Fed/Bidet inflationary spiral and you have the real answer, not some vague accusation against “they”...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    This is just ridiculous. Who is “they”? When did “they” have the meeting to make people pay more for homes and or property on which your assessment is based on?

The truth is the US is in a housing shortage, that will happen when 60 million illegals are brought over twenty years. Then add in the Fed/Bidet inflationary spiral and you have the real answer, not some vague accusation against “they”...
    Property values have been going up well before Biden and the current illegal influx. He and his minions just accelerated it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Mine’s up 15% this year. In before That Guy comes along to tell me it’s because my property is worth more. That’s bs because it’s only worth what I can sell it for and I only realize that value if I sell it.

Tax cap was a scam. Property owners are nothing but an ATM for the county who knows we have no choice but to pay.
    You are taxed on the property value, up or down, no scam to it. The old system before Daniels was very bad. You don’t pay capital gains tax on the value until you sell…

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    we appeal every year, being on social security and small pensions{retirements accounts} we have owned this home we reside in almost 20 years now, i don't feel it is fair to raise your property taxes just because the housing market went stupid! only time property taxes should be raised is if it sells, but really there should be no property tax s you own it. Our local town is too concerned with buying buildings and spending millions to refurbish them to hold meetings in, building parks and bike trails , city employees driving new vehicles around the block all day every day, paying for poorly repaved streets that last a couple of years, giving raises to all employees of city every year it seems, 3 to 4 people working in a office but close the office for a hour for lunch? it is just out of control, local govt elections are who has the money and financial supporters to get in office! wasn't all that long ago a farmer on the county council got farm land taxes cut but it raised residential properties more and yes he is a farmer!!!!!!!!!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Agree. I'm taxed on my crawl space. Attached garage is part of the house and taxed at 1%. Detached garage is 3%. Concrete patio, 12x20 shed for mower/tools, gazebo for fire pit, etc are all 2-3%. Totally against the spirit of the original 1% cap. Buddy bought house with unusable in ground pool. Taxed 3% on pool until he filled it in to create garden. Now he's taxed on the old concrete sidewalk that goes from house to garden. Sheesh!!
    I can just imagine the howling on INGO, billionaire's pay tax on their house but have millions in property, like side walk lined gardens, massive patios, gazebos, and fire pits they pay nothing on. I thought we wanted everyone to pay their part for the improvements to property they own?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Says the conspiracy theorist that has no facts just whining, sorry to put truth into your party, but you knew it was coming, you invited it.

I do not like the property tax either but until you can get enough fellow citizens and illegals to vote for those that will vote to eliminate it you look silly…
    Nope, sorry, play again as I know you will keep repeating your worthless claim that I have more wealth because someone says I do, so I should pay more until I can magically vote out a rigged system. That’s the definition of a scam and you pull the same worn out chestnut every time this rolls around. I give your response as much consideration as you give mine the last few times we went around on this.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Trotted down to the assessor today. My appeal from April, 2023 has made it to the reviewer's desk. Meanwhile they showed me the procedural cause of the increase. the main change was an adjustment to the Market Conditions rate. it changed from 1.184 last year to 1.830 this year. Which appears to show they say values increased 55% in one year. Or 83% since it is really based on the new basis. Either way they have mine overvalued by about 60% to 65%. I look forward to hearing their review results.

I should sheepishly note that my company is who the County Assessor calls when they have an issue they can not handle. We do work for them every other year or so.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We all essentially agree a property tax does not allow for ownership without payment. The question is, just who and how should government services that directly benefit the property be paid for. County, city, and town streets and roads and other infrastructure. What about the surveyors and drainage departments? Police and fire departments? The deed offices that secure you ownership. These all directly benefit the property.

Who should fund schools is certainly debatable but service directly to or for property should be paid by who how if there is no property tax?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Nope, sorry, play again as I know you will keep repeating your worthless claim that I have more wealth because someone says I do, so I should pay more until I can magically vote out a rigged system. That’s the definition of a scam and you pull the same worn out chestnut every time this rolls around. I give your response as much consideration as you give mine the last few times we went around on this.
    Only one of us has facts on their side and it certainly is not you…

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Then move somewhere you don't pay property taxes.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County

Shameless plug here;

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I know that we have it pretty good here in comparison to a LOT of states. I can assure you that if you were on the east coast, you'd be paying much much more than you are now. BIL's old house in Jersey was $15k per year, every year. His new house outside Philly is "only" $13k.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Shameless plug here;

Are there really no property taxes? I thought all states had them…

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yeah-no. I vote so I can complain. That’s the great thing about the system, we’re not yet at the point where the storm troopers will kick in the door at night for complaining about taxes, just not paying them.

No, it’s the folks that tell me I’m richer because I could sell my place (that I built with my own hands) for more than I paid for it, except that I could not then turn around and buy something the same for the money I got for selling it. I fail to see how that makes me richer. But because I am richer in their made up accounting, I must pay more.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yeah-no. I vote so I can complain. That’s the great thing about the system, we’re not yet at the point where the storm troopers will kick in the door at night for complaining about taxes, just not paying them.

No, it’s the folks that tell me I’m richer because I could sell my place (that I built with my own hands) for more than I paid for it, except that I could not then turn around and buy something the same for the money I got for selling it. I fail to see how that makes me richer. But because I am richer in their made up accounting, I must pay more.
    I can't explain it to you because A.) you don't want to know and 2.) you've already made up your mind. Why would anyone waste their time trying to help you understand how it works?

I'm fine with being able to double my money on our house that we built 20 years ago. Since we haven't had a mortgage for several years, that means it's all for the new house in someplace warm... and it looks like that one will be really nice as well.

Top Bottom