• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    I am about 6 months into living in a house on my own. With the recent weather I have been thinking real hard about getting a generator. I am looking at a portable since I am renting. My question is how are the propane powered ones? I have considered these because as far as I know propane can be stored for long periods without going bad. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    A propane generator that is a similar size to a gas one will produce less power. I bought a propane one because they will last longer and the fuel is much safer to store. I've got a 3500 Watt that is great for it's portability. Eventually I will get a diesel one because they last longer than gas and the fuel is easier to store.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    after a few months, algae grows in it. have some that is only good for lighting fires. there are treatments for it, but they need to be mixed in regularly.

the fuel is still good, but you WILL get good at swapping fuel filters.

I have had diesel trucks sit for more than 6 months and nary a problem with algae.

It is becoming more of an issue with the higher percentage of biodiesel blends though.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    after a few months, algae grows in it. have some that is only good for lighting fires. there are treatments for it, but they need to be mixed in regularly.

Sounds like a lot of work for something used so infrequently. Propane is looking a little better for my needs.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Where is a good place to start looking for portable propane gennys? I use my gasoline genny maybe once a year. It isn't really big enough for me, but I don't want to get a big diesel unit until I am at my grow old home.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land

Not sure what fuel you are buying. We have 2- 1500 Gallon diesel tanks that we use here on our farm, ULSD, we fill them once a year and that lasts us for the year and maybe have to swap fuel filters once a year. I actually have one, 300 gallon tank that is part of my preps, I last filled it on April 9th, 2011, there's no algae in it at all. so over a year.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have natural gas at my place. Store a lot of small propane cans because they are easy to move and get.

Doesn't look like this gets the same distance as natural gas and especially diesel but the longer storage life makes a difference.

Thanks for the link

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    We have a gas one, bought it at Lowes. We had not used it in the last two years but had to pull it out friday. Still had a little fuel in it but I filled the tank up and started on the second pull.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I purchased a gas generator and decided that trying to store fuel for long periods of time was not doable.

I converted mine to use propane as well as gas and just ran a line from my 500 gallon propane tank. Storage problem solved.

Now I can run it 4 hours a day for over 3 months if I have to.:yesway:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I purchased a gas generator and decided that trying to store fuel for long periods of time was not doable.

I converted mine to use propane as well as gas and just ran a line from my 500 gallon propane tank. Storage problem solved.

Now I can run it 4 hours a day for over 3 months if I have to.:yesway:

I actually looked into the conversions to propane. Not too difficult to do it seems. Then I could use either gas or LP.

Have noticed more and more that the LP doesn't go anywhere as far as the gasoline version. The diesel versions seem to be best, but then there is the under power problem with them, so I guess one would need to be more careful about buying one rated for the task at hand.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    As far as long term storage goes, propane wins. As to efficiency I refer to a story
    told by my propane dealer; the company bought him a propane powered delivery truck.
    In the summer it got about 7 mpg, in the winter it got 2 or 3 mpg. Had it several years
    before they replaced it with a new diesel powered truck [same type] it got 7mpg all the time.
    If you're thinking about propane remember that temperature effects efficiency.
    Unlike a furnace, you'll be running it outside...

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    You can buy a kit cheep to convert from gas to LP for small engines

That is what I am seeing. I just don't know how much more fuel I will need on hand to run the same time with the same load.

Guess I could get a mid sized tank and just store it on the property. Maybe I will look into natural gas conversions first. Been here almost 13 years and have lost NG service once. That was because of a guy digging without checking.

Top Bottom