• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hey everybody, been quite a while since I've been on here, so I thought I'd just share a little update with the folks who remember me (and with the ones who don't know me but are just bored enough to click the thread because it says "Marine" in the title).

I've spent the last 6 months in Quantico, VA at The Basic School, and I'm a week away from graduation now. The last graded events were last Friday, so we're in total wind-down mode now—turning in gear, final weapons cleaning, and a lot of waiting around, generally not giving a crap about anything. Thankfully I've made it through the Program of Instruction (POI) without injury and without incident. Up next for me is flight school. I'm looking forward to some great times down in Pensacola for the next couple years.

And I finally found myself with some spare time to write a new post to my blog, so feel free to check that out.
    My Life as a Marine Pilot — Ready to Graduate!

If there are any aspiring Marine officers poking around INGO, let me know if you have any questions about the process of applying, selection for OCS, and TBS. I've spent most of the year of 2012 going through that training, and I can probably answer your questions.

And if you've got some good officer jokes, let's go ahead and hear those, too :p

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ah, what the heck: here's a bonus not on the blog: a few best memories from TBS.

1. Being the Convoy Commander during Convoy FEX was tons of fun. I didn't get to stand in a turret on a machine gun, but I got to plan the route and otherwise be in complete command of a convoy of HMMWVs and MTVRs (the other group also had an MRAP, but I drew the short straw). We got hit by a couple simulated IEDs and took contact, but I accomplished my mission and got my casualty back to the CP in time to save his life.

2. Standing up in the troop area, sticking out the top hatches, of an AAV providing security to the flanks as we rolled around the Quantico Highlands during The War.

3. My first helo lifts. I always ended up in a CH-46 while some other guys got to try Blackhawks a time or two, but I think my eventual F/A-18 flight time will more than make up for that.

4. Qualifying as Expert on both rifle and pistol. Thanks so much, INGO—especially Appleseed! You prepared me well!

5. The Marine Corps Birthday Ball with my girlfriend :naughty:

Last edited:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My son hopes to be doing exactly what you have done in approximately one and half years. He has completed the junior class OCS at Quantico and will enter the senior OCS in the summer of 2013. He plans on flying helos and there is one medical test that has yet to come back in the next few days that will allow or not allow him into flight school. So, we wait to see what happens.

Congratulations on your excellent accomplishment.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    Congrats...TBS was quite an experience. It's just too bad they did away with the 60 km movement from Hell for your War.

You'll find you get a bit more respect once you leave the Camp Barrett area. Good luck at flight school.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks to all who offered congratulations!

My son hopes to be doing exactly what you have done in approximately one and half years. He has completed the junior class OCS at Quantico and will enter the senior OCS in the summer of 2013. He plans on flying helos and there is one medical test that has yet to come back in the next few days that will allow or not allow him into flight school. So, we wait to see what happens.

Congratulations on your excellent accomplishment.

Awesome! If he ever has any questions, feel free to direct him my way, and I'll answer anything I can myself or put him in touch with somebody who can answer what I cannot.

Congratulations sir! Perhaps you could get a double rating as both a F-18 pilot and a Blackhawk pilot?

The Marines don't operate any Blackhawks (to my knowledge), so I'd have to switch over to the Army in order to pursue something like that.

Congrats...TBS was quite an experience. It's just too bad they did away with the 60 km movement from Hell for your War.

You'll find you get a bit more respect once you leave the Camp Barrett area. Good luck at flight school.

A 60 click movement? Mmm hmm. Want me to bring you a roll of flight line next? :rolleyes: haha

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    A 60 click movement? Mmm hmm. Want me to bring you a roll of flight line next? :rolleyes: haha

1st Plt B Co 2-12

An epic foot movement to remind us just how unfair war is when the other guy has all the assets...and how awesome an IAR would be to carry instead of a loaded SAW.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOP4W7e88g[/ame]

I'll be hitting up Woodbridge this Friday with for a Brazilian celebration dinner. You're welcome to join to exchange 'War' stories haha.

Top Bottom