• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The important thing for those of us who buy gear for training is to understand that this isn't a RDS replacement. I didn't think it would be, but the jury was out until now. It still sounds like a great scope, but it isn't an Aimpoint killer. Much tactical training is done at <50y, moving and shooting and such, where an eye box would be a big hindrance.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I actually learned quite a bit from this review. Thanks guys!

Off topic question, any chance you guys can do an Aimpoint Comp VS Micro review? :D

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Very well done men! Now I don't know what to buy!:) I was set on the scope from reading so much about how you should use a 1-4 for multi-gun. Now I am not so sure. Maybe the red dot would be better for me.:dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Off topic question, any chance you guys can do an Aimpoint Comp VS Micro review? :D

That would be like the world's shortest review. :D

Want an Aimpoint for under $400? Get a Comp series.

Want an Aimpoint in the smallest, lightest package available? Get a Micro!

Done! ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was set on the scope from reading so much about how you should use a 1-4 for multi-gun. Now I am not so sure. Maybe the red dot would be better for me.:dunno:

I would ask some multi-gunners directly. They'd have much more experience in the difference between the two types of optics for the specific requirements of that competition.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    iChoke, before you even chime in about Marines and their 500 yds Iron's, I shot two-gun a few weeks ago with a young Marine officer, and lets just say, watching him I am very suspicious of your story.:cool:

Don't hate. We could work out some kind of interservice marksmanship thing so the Marines could try to get the Army up to speed.

To be fair, I couldn't believe it the first time I saw an army rifle qual, either. Off a sandbag? Seriously? :)

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Do you have a picture of the reticle you used? I think there are a couple to chose from. I'm pretty sold on this for my 300BLK. I'm glad you showed what larue mount needed to be purchased, i looked into that and they list about 5...thousand. Excellent review.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Do you have a picture of the reticle you used? I think there are a couple to chose from. I'm pretty sold on this for my 300BLK. I'm glad you showed what larue mount needed to be purchased, i looked into that and they list about 5...thousand. Excellent review.

This is the reticle in the scope used
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_pst_s_1-4x24_tmcq_moa.jpg

That is the only reticle avaible in the capped version, in the exposed turret version (might be a better fit for a blackout switching for subs to supers) you can get the above reticle as well as this one

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_pst_s_1-4x24_tmcq_mrad.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm glad you did this review, I've been curious about something like this, but think I may be better served to just add a 3x magnifier to my Micro T1.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'm glad you did this review, I've been curious about something like this, but think I may be better served to just add a 3x magnifier to my Micro T1.

that would be like the 9 of spades of trades, master of none. :):

Unless they've changed a lot, the eyebox on a magnifier is minuscule... and t cost almost as much as a Vortex.

I went with the SPR-E as I'm an extreme nose-to-charging-handle kinda guy.
    http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-e-lt-139

DSCF0992.jpg

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Very well done men! Now I don't know what to buy!:) I was set on the scope from reading so much about how you should use a 1-4 for multi-gun. Now I am not so sure. Maybe the red dot would be better for me.:dunno:

Which is better for you depends on where you shoot matches and who designs the stages. If you shoot at a club like AtlantaCC where the longest possible shots will be less than 40 yards, a magnified optic makes little sense.

If you shoot at a club that stretches to 100-200 yards occasionally, then you have a decision to make. How does the match director design stages? Are they mostly open targets, or do you have to hit small targets? Will they be from supported positions or offhand?

If you shoot more than 200 yards, you'll probably want magnification.

Another thing ... if you're serious about the competition, you'll want to consider matching your optics to a given match. A red dot and a low power variable, both on Larue throw lever mounts, both zeroed on your rifle with your ammo would give you the flexibility you need. Or, have two rifles, one with a red dot and the other with a telescope. You can't switch back and forth in most matches/organizations, but you can pick the one that best suits your needs for that match on that day.

As far as the "eye box" thing goes, eye relief is going to play a huge role in how quickly you can acquire a sight picture, regardless of the magnification. Some scopes are better than others. The Trijicon Accupoint 1.2-4X and 1-4X pretty much set the standard in terms of generous and forgiving eye relief.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I looked into the trijicon accupoint, and usually i'm a fan, but the vortex reticle seems much nicer. I'm sold...after xmas though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That would be like the world's shortest review. :D

Want an Aimpoint for under $400? Get a Comp series.

Want an Aimpoint in the smallest, lightest package available? Get a Micro!

Done! ;)

You can't get it done that easily. There needs to be pictures, videos, and bar graphs :p

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Which is better for you depends on where you shoot matches and who designs the stages. If you shoot at a club like AtlantaCC where the longest possible shots will be less than 40 yards, a magnified optic makes little sense.

If you shoot at a club that stretches to 100-200 yards occasionally, then you have a decision to make. How does the match director design stages? Are they mostly open targets, or do you have to hit small targets? Will they be from supported positions or offhand?

If you shoot more than 200 yards, you'll probably want magnification.

Another thing ... if you're serious about the competition, you'll want to consider matching your optics to a given match. Or, have two rifles, one with a red dot and the other with a telescope.

As far as the "eye box" thing goes, eye relief is going to play a huge role in how quickly you can acquire a sight picture, regardless of the magnification. Some scopes are better than others. The Trijicon Accupoint 1.2-4X and 1-4X pretty much set the standard in terms of generous and forgiving eye relief.

Thanks Rhino! I have not shot a match yet so I am not sure how interested I will be in the sport overall. It looks to be expensive so I would only be able to shoot maybe once a month if I did it all out. And I would not practice much, so being competitive is not a reality. I would just do it for fun instead of playing COD.:)

At Wildcat, they have a 300 yard bay, but other than that, it is like ACC. My concern would be shooting both eyes open looking through the tube.

I probably won't build another rifle and the one I have built is probably not the best set-up for 3-gun, but it will out perform the shooter(me!) that's for sure. Two optics could be an option if I really get into the sport.

Top Bottom