• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My concern would be shooting both eyes open looking through the tube.

If I reading the chart right that the pst averages .25 seconds slower across the board on tests, And keep in mind that is with shooters who train regularly with a aimpoint that is very similar to a eotech and a diffrent world than a pst. After some rounds you will not see the tube on the pst when shooting both eyes open. I have no doubt more rounds threw the scope would make up .25 seconds and gain you more on the long shots.

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    If I reading the chart right that the pst averages .25 seconds slower across the board on tests, And keep in mind that is with shooters who train regularly with a aimpoint that is very similar to a eotech and a diffrent world than a pst. After some rounds you will not see the tube on the pst when shooting both eyes open. I have no doubt more rounds threw the scope would make up .25 seconds and gain you more on the long shots.

You make a very good point vette.

To really be able to draw solid conclusions from any performance test there would need to be many more repetitions after the shooters have become totally familiar with each piece of equipment and the course of fire.

Running a drill once or twice (there were a few flubs and mis-cues during the testing:D) only gives you a partial picture. But, as in nearly all things, there are limits on time and costs.)

I've enjoyed getting some conversation started about the Viper! :yesway:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    DSCN0801.jpg

Two takes on the 1-4x optic: my Recon Carbine w/ Burris TAC30 above, Fenway's DD carbine w/ Vortex Viper below

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If it's going to be mostly ACC, I think you'd be best served by a red dot.

You can get hits on IPSC targets at 300 yards if you do your part. At Wildcat, it's usually only one stage on the big rifle range anyway.

I know one time I was shooting at Wildcat and Bill D was in my squad. He had an EOTech on his rifle and got very respectable hits at 300 and 200 yards with it. I was using an old Leupold Vari-X II 1-4X 20mm on my rifle and I think he beat me on that stage (and traditionally I've usually done better than most of the field on longer range stages).

Thanks Rhino! I have not shot a match yet so I am not sure how interested I will be in the sport overall. It looks to be expensive so I would only be able to shoot maybe once a month if I did it all out. And I would not practice much, so being competitive is not a reality. I would just do it for fun instead of playing COD.:)

At Wildcat, they have a 300 yard bay, but other than that, it is like ACC. My concern would be shooting both eyes open looking through the tube.

I probably won't build another rifle and the one I have built is probably not the best set-up for 3-gun, but it will out perform the shooter(me!) that's for sure. Two optics could be an option if I really get into the sport.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thank you lovemywoods for a fantastic review! If you are looking to purchase this optic send your business to A&A Optics (INGO Advertiser) :ingo:

Last edited by a moderator:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    shooter, which optic do you prefer?

After the "official" I ran our drills using my gun with the Burris TAC30, and found (as I anticipated) that I was able to run them faster and "cleaner" due to the TAC30's large center dot presenting a similar sight picture to my Aimpoints. I did find, however, that the TAC30 had more lens distortion, which was a bit of a distraction when first bringing the gun up on target. The newer MTAC seems to have solved this problem, so I'm looking into an upgrade...

spqr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    Anyone have an opinion on Vortex Viper vs. Leupold VX-1? Trying to set up a mid-range tactical AR...so I'm looking for useful and not competition fast.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Anyone have an opinion on Vortex Viper vs. Leupold VX-1? Trying to set up a mid-range tactical AR...so I'm looking for useful and not competition fast.

The leupold is really hard to compare. It is non illuminated, not as good glass, plex reticle, 1/2 the price.

They are 2 completly diffrent leagues of scope

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Update on the Illumination Switch Issue

It appears that Vortex has had a few problems with the design of the original battery compartment cap. They have a newly designed cap and are sending one to replace the original part.

Both the dealer (A&A Optics) and Vortex have been very responsive to the concern once I made them aware of it.

I'll let you know how it performs once the new cap arrives.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I bought the MRAD uncapped turret version of the PST from AA Optics and I love it. You won't be disappointed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't wait for 1-6x and 1-8x scopes to become the norm. the 1-4's look good, but that little extra would make me happy.

Oh, hellz yeah! Although, I suspect that it will be a long time before those are both 1) affordable, and 2) built as well as the handful of really nice 1-4X on the market right now.

The thought of a Trijicon Accupoint 1-8X makes me giddy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Oh, hellz yeah! Although, I suspect that it will be a long time before those are both 1) affordable, and 2) built as well as the handful of really nice 1-4X on the market right now.

The thought of a Trijicon Accupoint 1-8X makes me giddy.

The 1-6 is out now. I will say without a shadow of a doubt they are built as well as any USO/Nightforce/S&B on the market. This is the most solid feeling (I know thats not proper gramer but I'm not sure how to say what I mean) scope I have laid my hands on period. Its not the cheapest option at 1399 or the lightest scope at 25.2oz, but built right it defintally is. The Illumination Is perfect, and the adjustments are perfect. There is no zero stop like the pst, but it has 50 moa of adjustment per revolution. If you need more than 50 moa of travel you probably need a diffrent scope.

Here is a review comparing the razor 1-6 to the Leupold 1-8 and S&B 1-8 by lowlight on snipershide

Vortex 1-6x Is here, Review to Follow - Sniper's Hide Forums

As of today I have a few of the 1-6 left in stock

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I think lovemywoods and 42769vette should do a full write up and review on the 1-6....

I may have my own reasons for saying this....:shady:

Stupid pennies aren't multiplying fast enough....:D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think lovemywoods and 42769vette should do a full write up and review on the 1-6....

I may have my own reasons for saying this....:shady:

Stupid pennies aren't multiplying fast enough....:D

Mabye we should, the 1-6 does have a larger eyebox wich seamed to be the major hurdle in this test.

If its a comparision I might try to get my hands on a acog since they are the same price range.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My main reasons for liking the Accupoints are:

1. Eye relief
    2. Sturdy
    3. Good lenses and coatings
    4. Sturdy
    5. Eye relief

The reticle pattern is less important to me. If I had my druthers, I'd like crosshairs with mildots and an illuminated 1 MOA dot in the middle.

The accupoints Ive seen have 3.2 inches of eye relief, the razor has 4 inches. either length will be just fine.

There is no doubt when you get one of these things in your hands there is not a sturdier scope made by anyone in the world.

The glass is a huge step up from the accupoint. The razors glass quality is as good as any swarovski made and I usto work for swarovski so Ive messed with them all.

The accupoint might be cheaper, but in no other area will it compete with the razor 1-6. Let me know if you want to come out for some hands on experiance.

Here is another thread on a 3 gun forum talking about the razor 1-6
    Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II - Rifle - Technical - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Bottom