• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Just got a new never fired Remington R1 .45 acp. Using Remington UMC 230 grain ball nose ammo. Out of 120 rounds I got maybe 2 consecutive shot off 4 times. Had it checked out by a Gunsmith, he found not problems other than tight tolerance in the machining. They are tight. Now he told me just to keep putting lead through it. He did say that barrel is not setting in the slide, where the 3 ribs met on top of the slide. The term is I believe "the battery". Just need to know if anyone is having this problem or should I just send the gun back to Remington? :(:dunno:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Most problems I've had out of an auto have been the mags.
    Try locking both wrists and see if that helps.
    Anything mass produced can have problems but the mag and firing mechanics of the shooter should probably be concentrated on first since the gunsmith said it's basically ok. Barrel/slide lock may be very tight and loosen up.
    Just guessing without seeing or having hands on.
    Good luck.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I had the same problem with a Walther PPK/S. The smith kept saying it was due to tight tolerances and I had to put 500+ rounds through it. By the time I got to about 750 rounds I took it back to the smith. Then they found out there was a crack in the barrell that was over heating when fired. That is why he could not find the problem. When fired the crack became visable and it was causing the gun to fail.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Thanks Greg,
    I think I'll just send it back and have them check it out. I hate to run 500 rounds through it and find out it didn't help. You have weighed by decision.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, I'd probably send it back. Might be worth trying a different mag first though. If it is not going fully into battery, it would seem like there should be an issue the smith could identify, even if he could not fix it without major part swapping.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    It should work out of the box.

Send her home to let the manufacturer have a wack at it. It it needs to have 500 rounds through it before it is reliable let them pay for the ammo and break it in. I had no problems with my Remmington 1911 R1 from day one.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Thanks for all the input. I spoke with Remington yesterday, The fool said it could be the way I hold it, the ramp the ammo the stars! I got fed up. returned it to Blythes in Valpo and they did me right. Dave fired it and same thing, Gunsmith fired it same thing. Ended up being a BAD trigger. So they gave me $ back and I invested in a SA A-1 loaded..Paid alittle more but I'm happy now and feel I can rely on it! Ended up paying 875. I know it's alittle high but Dave @ Blythe's really helped out.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Dunk it and the mag in oil (not literally, but lube it up liberally). Shoot it some more. If that doesn't cure it, then buy a good mag and try again. If still not working, send it to Remington.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Thanks for the input. Spoke with the knuckleheads @ Remington...He said maybe it's the way youre holding it, the ammo, the clip yada yada..Well that pissed me off, been shooting for 40 odd years and I like to think I know what I'm doing. Well I took it back to Blythe's in Valpo and the samething happened the Dave B. and his Gunsmith ended up being the trigger assembly so he said he would send it back but I decide to upgrade, had it with Remington. Heard nothing but great stories of the 1911. So I got my $$ back and got the SA A-1 loaded. Love it maybe overpriced but the feel and power is great, I have 3 9mm, 38 special and 357 S/W but his SA is my new fav! Thanks again for you input.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I have the R1 and it is a beast. 1000+ rounds, no problems. Get some good mags and you're set. My trigger just keeps getting better and better, too. Love this gun, and for $600 brand new I could not be happier.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    With everything said about Remington, I heard nothing but praise from the R-1, But I must have got a lemon. And it left a bad taste in my mouth. Long story short BAD TRIGGER and rep from Rem gave excuses ramp, ammo and even my grip. I took it as a insult, been firing weapons since I was 7 and I just turned 47. I feel bad I had a bad gun could have been the 1 in 100,000. Again thanks for you input.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    I believe everyone here about the posts on Rem, wasn't here to bash anything. I actually loved the way the R-1 shot, made me look like a great shooter! But when I seen the gun smith TAP, yes tap the trigger sideways and the gun went off. It's scary to see a couple of professionals jump. It was a bad trigger never seen anything like that, kept thinking of the model 700. Always remenber keep the muzzle down range. But I did carry the gun on my hip for a day, what if the trigger was hit? I got shot by a BB when i was young, didn't like it, sure the heck don't want a 45 in my leg. If I had a good trigger on the R-1 I would still have it, just a bad experience with Remington, lost alittle respect for them. And IF I had shot myself it's my fault...see how that panned for them. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom