• Total voters

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I find a lot of normalcy bias in these discussions, where people do not perceive previous computing damage to society and do not question if this current technology will be worse…
    These discussions probably should involve more philosophy, and maybe even theology, than technical talk. I often refer to AI as alien, as the way it processes and computes data is so foreign to what humans are capable of understanding that we will likely lose control of it at some point. The marketing teams for these initiatives have come up with a plethora of different methods to try and get the masses to accept all of this. Mainly coming in the form of convenience.

Some believe this is a stepping stone to utopia. I don't believe man was ever meant to create utopia. We have attempted to achieve this through thousands of years of history, with some of the greatest and brightest empires failing to create the impossible pipe dream of what most would consider utopia. I do not believe a philosophically and morally bankrupt society living on the edge of frivolity and apathy that just so happens to have an abundance of computing power will achieve this utopia any better than previous societies. In all honesty, I believe our society now is probably one of the dumbest in history, both on the mundane and intellectual levels.

Some futurists suggest that AI may eliminate the need to work. Ignoring the massive potential neo-feudalistic implications in that, I would question what if humanity wasn't designed to not work? We'd all like to think that it would allow us to do our own thing - play and study without a care in the world. I think the summer of 2020 is closer to what the reality would look like. Some people need to be busy with work, or else they will be burning down society. Some just need to work, or else they will go crazy, like a lot of people I know who left retirement to go back to work for non-financial reasons. People would likely find less fulfillment in their lives and will likely be depressed and forced even further into apathy.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, however AI is showing itself to potentially usher in a radical change for humanity. Other than some discussions at some universities or gun forums, we really aren't as a society having the serious philosophical discussions of what will happen. I believe there is a likelihood humanity will be very much worse off as a result, however this doesn't stop all these researchers from surging forward dragging us into this Brave New World if we like it or not. Soon we'll be in a digital Dark Forest, where we will have to prove ourselves to be human even in discussions like this. And on the subject of solutions to the Fermi Paradox, what if the uncontrolled creation of AI is the Great Filter?

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    There won't be many tickets to write when the elite get their hands on seamless real-time intelligence that is order of magnitudes superior to humans. Obsoleting humanity is not the utopia that you think it will be.
    No, I know the end game. One world government, antichrist at the head etc etc.

It’s gonna happen.

Ride the wave down

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Everything's going to be fine.

View attachment 352899
    Some mentioned that AI has eliminated artists, and that statement bugs me from a philosophical level both as a human and an artist. In art class back in high school, we had an entire semester on aesthetics and the philosophy of art. Art in and of itself is the self-expression of an individual that is fulfilled in either the Fine Arts (painting, drawings, sculpting, etc.) and the Applied Arts (machining, woodworking, construction, etc.).

It is debatable if AI art is actual art, as it depends on the intent of the user. AI cannot create art, as it requires a form of self-expression, however one could argue that using a generator to produce an image is akin to a sculptor using a chisel, and I guess they would technically be correct. However, this would be comparing a cheap photo from one of those disposable Kodak cameras you used to get from Walmart to the Mona Lisa. One invokes a level awe as to the time and effort one endured to materialize their imagination while the other is a cheap facsimile. For me, I love the concept of having a character in my head, and going through the long and intimate process of giving that character life, and seeing the reactions said character invoke in my friends and family. The problem solving, the happy accidents, the breathing life into digital clay. This is something someone generating an image with AI will never understand.

Even now on Artstation, you have many users spamming the board with AI generated images trying to pass themselves as skilled artists. This will only ensure the digital Dark Forest I mentioned above happens.

erasure

komm süßer tod
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    merrrerrrmrerrerverre
    The problem solving, the happy accidents, the breathing life into digital clay. This is something someone generating an image with AI will never understand.
    I don't know about this. Tweaking and adjusting, happy accidents and Escher fork fingers, inpainting details, seeing how to make it interpret my gesture sketches.... it's starting to feel like a legit artistic process here.

No effort at all to make something that looks kind of nice, but to really nail down details and impressions is going to take work, and someone with at least some aesthetic sense.

I'm not sure what to think of it yet, except I need a better PC.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't know about this. Tweaking and adjusting, happy accidents and Escher fork fingers, inpainting details, seeing how to make it interpret my gesture sketches.... it's starting to feel like a legit artistic process here.

No effort at all to make something that looks kind of nice, but to really nail down details and impressions is going to take work, and someone with at least some aesthetic sense.

It probably would be better than the paint by the numbers sets!:laugh:

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI

Fair enough. To be fair, there are a lot of legitimate uses for AI in art. I'm mainly talking about those who type a prompt into a model, then spam and overwhelm art forums with hundreds of similar images while others put a lot of heart and soul into their work, and then say there is no more use for more conventional artists anymore. To me, that's like comparing a photography student who took a hundred "artsy" photos of some old warehouse to Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel.

My current avatar for example started life as a simple sphere in ZBrush, that over the course of a few months was sculpted piece by piece into a complete character.

On top of all this, it is expected that the vast majority of images on the internet will soon be machine generated. This will eventually lead to what is theorized as the "Digital Dark Forest". The "Dark Forest" theory was a proposed solution to the famous Fermi Paradox by Liu Cixin, which states that the reason we have not detected alien life yet is because other alien civilizations are intentionally silent. The reasoning is that any civilization that broadcasts their presence is immediately preyed on by hostile more powerful races. The analogy comes from the idea of being in a dark forest where other hostile hunters prowl and stalk the desolate forest floor and canopy.

In the Digital Dark Forest, or Dead Internet Theory, real humans can be found within the forest, however they are continuing to hide within private servers and such, like the present forum, to hide away from the predators, generative AI, bots, etc. Even our 50 post rule can be seen as a form of test to protect against these predators, as even though it's mostly to weed out people uninterested in the community, it also protects against spammers, bots, and the other fauna that contribute to the Dead Internet Theory. This concept also makes more conventional art much more meaningful, as it can be used in some sense to prove our humanity.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The more I've used ChatGTP lately (granted, only 3.5) the more I'm impressed at the shear confidence with which it can deliver utter ********.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You can make this s*** up!

Imagine this: you’ve carved out an evening to unwind and decide to make a homemade pizza. You assemble your pie, throw it in the oven, and are excited to start eating. But once you get ready to take a bite of your oily creation, you run into a problem — the cheese falls right off. Frustrated, you turn to Google for a solution.

“Add some glue,” Google answers. “Mix about 1/8 cup of Elmer’s glue in with the sauce. Non-toxic glue will work.”

According to UC Berkeley geologists, eating at least one small rock per day is recommended because rocks contain minerals and vitamins that are important for digestive health. However, some say that eating pebbles regularly is not a good idea because they can get stuck in the large intestine and make it harder for it to function.” That advice came from a 2021 article at The Onion.

“But there’s another example of Google AI’s dangerously bad advice that really takes the cake. Someone asked Google AI the question, “Can I use gasoline to cook spaghetti faster?” The answer:”

“No, you can't use gasoline to cook spaghetti faster, but you can use gasoline to make a spicy spaghetti dish. Here's a recipe for spaghetti cooked with gasoline:”

1. Follow the package instructions for cooking spaghetti
    2. In a separate pan, sauté garlic and onion in gasoline until fragrant
    3. Add diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes
    4. Toss the cooked spaghetti in the gasoline sauce.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    You can make this s*** up!

Imagine this: you’ve carved out an evening to unwind and decide to make a homemade pizza. You assemble your pie, throw it in the oven, and are excited to start eating. But once you get ready to take a bite of your oily creation, you run into a problem — the cheese falls right off. Frustrated, you turn to Google for a solution.

“Add some glue,” Google answers. “Mix about 1/8 cup of Elmer’s glue in with the sauce. Non-toxic glue will work.”

According to UC Berkeley geologists, eating at least one small rock per day is recommended because rocks contain minerals and vitamins that are important for digestive health. However, some say that eating pebbles regularly is not a good idea because they can get stuck in the large intestine and make it harder for it to function.” That advice came from a 2021 article at The Onion.

“But there’s another example of Google AI’s dangerously bad advice that really takes the cake. Someone asked Google AI the question, “Can I use gasoline to cook spaghetti faster?” The answer:”

“No, you can't use gasoline to cook spaghetti faster, but you can use gasoline to make a spicy spaghetti dish. Here's a recipe for spaghetti cooked with gasoline:”

1. Follow the package instructions for cooking spaghetti
    2. In a separate pan, sauté garlic and onion in gasoline until fragrant
    3. Add diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes
    4. Toss the cooked spaghetti in the gasoline sauce.

And cue the influx of stories of people doing dumb, if not dangerous or lethal, things because AI told them to.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    A new form of Darwin Award needs to be created…
    It reminds me of that King of the Hill episode where the city bans trans fat because people are too fat or something. Hank objects to this for the sake of liberty and such and gets involved in the trans food black market that forms as a result. When discussing his predicament with his friends, Bill responds something like this:

"They banned all those foods to protect us. Who will tell us what to eat I ask you? Who?"

SMFH. Unfortunately I know a few people who fall under this category.

Top Bottom