• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I love my red dots on my ar's. As of late I have seen a noticeable difference in the red dot flaring. It is to the point where it is becoming a hindrance. I have heard that prisms really make a difference. I have looked through them at the store in the past. The weight is why I stuck to rds.

What is a top tier prism?
    Are there any lighter weight prisms with the new tech that came out this past year?
    I would need something that can handle hard use. Any personal experience would be appreciated. Cost is an issue, but I can and will save for a good optic if need-be.

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    They may not be "top tier", but the Primary Arms 1x Cyclops is a pretty dang good buy. The ACSS reticle is also intuitive and useful enough that trijicon has made a deal with PA to integrate them into the ACOG. As far as hard use, I think that they've been accepted for use on patrol rifles for a larger PD in Texas and have a silver level certification with the NTOA.

If you're looking for something with more of a track record, you're probably looking for a Trijicon ACOG 1.5x.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    They may not be "top tier", but the Primary Arms 1x Cyclops is a pretty dang good buy. The ACSS reticle is also intuitive and useful enough that trijicon has made a deal with PA to integrate them into the ACOG. As far as hard use, I think that they've been accepted for use on patrol rifles for a larger PD in Texas and have a silver level certification with the NTOA.

If you're looking for something with more of a track record, you're probably looking for a Trijicon ACOG 1.5x.

I have experience with the rco. Is there any difference between the 2 besides magnification and reticle?
    primary arms and vortex are the 2 im keeping an eye on. The vortex I have handled were a bit on the heavy side for. This would be going on a 11.5 bcm set up with a folding stock. I hope to stash this as my bug out/ car/ shtf(light) weapon to compliment my full size rifle.

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Between the vortex and the PA, I'd take the PA. The vortex reticle, while functional, isn't nearly as useful as the ACSS. It's also somewhat smaller than the vortex spitfire that I've also owned - it's dimensionally smaller and comes in at about 9oz.

The PA cyclops also can mount to any aimpoint micro mount, which really opens up a bevy of quality mounting solutions.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Between the vortex and the PA, I'd take the PA. The vortex reticle, while functional, isn't nearly as useful as the ACSS. It's also somewhat smaller than the vortex spitfire that I've also owned - it's dimensionally smaller and comes in at about 9oz.

The PA cyclops also can mount to any aimpoint micro mount, which really opens up a bevy of quality mounting solutions.
    I think at that price point, I can't go wrong. If it doesn't work out I can always toss it on another build and continue the search.

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    I had the Cyclops on a pistol build and it seemed perfectly suited for it. You can also put a magnifier behind it if you want but of course that increases weight dramatically.

PA had a 2x or 2.5x mini prism now too I think but I've never handled one personally.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I was just looking at the 2.5x I couldn't find a weight. I'll go in and see if I can't find one in store

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    I was just looking at the 2.5x I couldn't find a weight. I'll go in and see if I can't find one in store
    Looking at their website the 2.5x I think is one of their older models. It weighs 14.9oz per the specs sheet. That's the SLX 2.5 model.

The GLX 2x is the newer model and is 11oz.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Looking at their website the 2.5x I think is one of their older models. It weighs 14.9oz per the specs sheet. That's the SLX 2.5 model.

The GLX 2x is the newer model and is 11oz.

I just got the GLX2x .300blk/7.62x39 version. Playing around with it the one thing I don't like is the chevron is so small it almost looks like a dot. It should look better to younger sharper eyes. The glass is very clear and the illumination is easily daylight bright.

They are still a "preorder" item at PA but Optics Planet has the 300blk/7.62x39 version in stock and AK Operators Union store has both versions in stock.

Last edited:

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    I just got the GLX2x .300blk/7.62x39 version. Playing around with it the one thing I don't like is the chevron is so small it almost looks like a dot. It should look better to younger sharper eyes. The glass is very clear and the illumination is easily daylight bright.

They are still a "preorder" item at PA but Optics Planet has the 300blk/7.62x39 version in stock and AK Operators Union store has both versions in stock.
    Have you shot with it yet? I thought the reticle too small when I first looked through the Cyclops but when I had it mounted and was focusing on my target, it seemed to bring everything into focus a lot more.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Idk why I forgot to"watch" my own thread but, depending on a possible deal I'm paying for, I'm going to be ordering one asap.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Have you shot with it yet? I thought the reticle too small when I first looked through the Cyclops but when I had it mounted and was focusing on my target, it seemed to bring everything into focus a lot more.

No...I got it for an AK 47 I have ordered from Primary Arms and their FFL shipping is way backed up. It may be another 2 weeks before I even get the rifle. PA clearly stated FFL items could take as long as 20 days to ship so I knew it when I ordered. Also got an email from them today letting me know they still had it and were shipping as fast as they could. Good for them for staying in contact.

Top Bottom