• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you currently take any prescription medication?

• Total voters

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It has seemed to me lately that everyone I know is on one prescription drug or another. I have to admit that, although I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, it seems to me like doctors and pharmaceutical companies push everyone to get some kind of prescription for one ailment or another. Are we living in an age where quality of life has improved because medications are available to treat issues that people used to just deal with before? Or are people being pushed to take medications that they could probably do without?

I think a poll would be an interesting way to get a look at the numbers. The above poll is private. Keep in mind this is about prescription medication, not over-the-counter medications that you take.

EDIT: Also, temporary prescriptions like antibiotics for an infection don't count for this poll. I'm thinking more along the lines of the big pharma company drugs rather than antibiotics or the like. What prompted this is that it seems like everybody I know is on prescription pain meds, or depression meds, or restless leg syndrome meds, or their kid has ADD. If you don't feel like answering the poll, feel free to give your impressions on the topic as well. Am I the only one who feels like this country is being overly medicated?

Last edited:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I'm currently on broad-spectrum antibiotics for a ~cillin resistant sinus infection. Does that count?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm currently on broad-spectrum antibiotics for a ~cillin resistant sinus infection. Does that count?

Good question, I'll update to clarify. I would say that this does NOT count simply because it's a temporary prescription to cure a temporary infection.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I see. So you mean the sort of scripts that are commonly "abused", like narcotic pain meds and benzodiazepines?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    By the way, my intention is not to offend anyone. There are definitely a lot of necessary medications out there (heart health, chronic pain from injury, etc.). I'm interested in those results in the poll too though.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I see. So you mean the sort of scripts that are commonly "abused", like narcotic pain meds and benzodiazepines?

That's part of it, but I'm also talking about other medications too. I seem to see a new commercial everyday for some new medication to treat something or other. Keep in mind that part of the question was whether we're just living in an age where medical science is enabling people to live a better quality of life. Maybe all of these medications are a blessing for people who used to have to "just deal with it." As far as narcotic pain pills, prescriptions for things like Vicodin, Oxy, etc. are higher than ever before. Have that many people been dealing with extreme pain for years and help is finally arriving? Or do drug companies push them?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Well, I can say that my doctor's office is typically very full of professional, middle-aged women that have no evident medical afflictions, whom are glassy eyed and very calm.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    It could simply be that in less than 100 years we have gone from a society where only the strongest survived birth and childhood to a near 100% success ratio thanks to modern medicine. Check any old cemetery and you will see a disproportionate ratio of children's headstones to adult headstones. Also you will not if you get down to it the average age of death has climbed dramatically in the last 50 years. This is due in no small part to drumroll please.... .... ...... medicine! Quality of life has improved dramatically due to medicine, education about health and wellness, and prompt treatment. It is indeed a giant conspiracy between doctors, drug companies and patients to enjoy the fruits of the self preservation instinct and check out when we have totally trashed our bodies and they lie useless to us in a hospital bed at 90. Beats the tar out of dying of complications from high blood pressure at 50, diabetes at 60, kidney failure at 70, or a staph infection at 80. Think of your grandparents at 60, they were old. The looked it and felt it. Now thanks to a little lipitor, celebrex and a new set of knees people in their late 70's play racquet ball. So at 30, I say heck yeah I take celebrex because it keeps me from having to get surgery on a shoulder. At 40 I will say heck yeah to lipitor. At 60 when my parents die, I will say heck yeah put me on that googly eyed anti depressant. At 80 I will gladly accept that first second or third new hip. Anything that keeps me in the game and fighting like a mad man to delay death, sign me up. Life is good, medicine makes it better. Then again, my parents vaccinated me as a kid, and I use fluoride toothpaste so I am already under "their control."

** I am not a doctor, pharmacist or affiliated with any drug company.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    I used to take pain meds. I've taken them before/after i've had surgeries. I used to take them for migraines but they didn't work, i've found caffeine & ibuprofen work best.

My wife used to anxiety meds but after she did grief therapy when her dad died last year she didn't need them anymore, she was better able to manage it.

I know other people who take meds for various medical, and some, mental conditions.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If you look at life expectancy at age 40 at 1900, and life expectancy at age 40 today, there has been an increase from about 10 years for men and 12 years for women.

There are multiple reasons for this, but certainly a major reason is advancement in drugs.

So, are they overprescribed? I don't know. Were the underprescribed a few years ago when we didn't have as many and we lived less long?

If in 100 years we're living twenty years longer but taking twice as many drugs, will that be too many?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am on 2 currently. One for high blood pressure, that will likely be the rest of my life. My folks both had it as well.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Considering their suffix MD is for medical doctor and they "practice" medicine...it's in the way they are taught.

If you don't want mess see a holistic DO or something. :)

If you go to the doc, odds are you will leave with a script or a referral if warranted...bc that's what they do.

I do not believe in a conspiracy to dope everyone up and control them...the media does that enough. I do believe that the main reason for stemcell funding stoppage was due to the potential cure for diseases like diabetes, spinal injury, renal failure,etc...you know...the ones that cost a sh@t ton over a lifetime...I do believe big pharmacy put a stop to all that...because they are terrible diseases, but it's also a business...and they can't make money on mess if the cellular problems are fixed.

The problem with our medical system more often than not, is that the docs treat the symptoms rather than the cause.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you go to the doc, odds are you will leave with a script or a referral if warranted...bc that's what they do.

I guess my doctor is a loser. I went 49 years without taking anything beyond a few rounds of antibiotics, tetanus shot. That's about it.

Maybe I missed the post on here but I read that Steve Jobs is probably dead because he spent 9 months on the holistic healing stuff instead of having his tumor cut out. He bought what the snake oil salesman was selling and paid the price.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Point of order... The only funding that was stopped was Federal Funding for Embryonic Stem Cell research, and it's now back in full swing.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I guess my doctor is a loser. I went 49 years without taking anything beyond a few rounds of antibiotics, tetanus shot. That's about it.

Maybe I missed the post on here but I read that Steve Jobs is probably dead because he spent 9 months on the holistic healing stuff instead of having his tumor cut out. He bought what the snake oil salesman was selling and paid the price.

Maybe, maybe not. Pancreatic cancer doesn't leave many survivors and kills people rather quickly, even when they're on the best medicine known to man.

Top Bottom